1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The sensory homunculus and why masturbation is more "stroking a penis" than "getting stroked"

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by ultrafabber, Oct 4, 2019.

1. ultrafabber

ultrafabber Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

That ugly fellow right there is called a "sensory homunculus". It's a visualization of how much sensory input we get from our body parts and how much brainpower the brain allocates to them. This is not guess work, it is scientific procedure applied.

You will notice that some parts are significantly larger than others. That means that the overblown parts send much more sensory signals than the normal ones. As expected, the hands are, by far, the dominant sensory inputers of your body, with mouth (lips/tongue) being second.

This is to be expected because it is with the hands you interact most with the world, it is with the hands you have dexterity (and you need sensory finesse for dexterity).

Why is this relevant for PMO users? Well, if you take a look at the picture, you will see how absolutely dominant the hands are in relationship to other parts of the body and in our case specifically, how dominant the hands are in relationship to the penis.

Why is this bad? Well it's because no matter how much mental gymnastics you do when you masturbate and no matter what you imagine, the brain receives the dominant signal that you are stroking a penis.

The bad part doesn't stop here, as the sensory information you get from a penis is not that of a vagina, but of a hand. A hand is something like 5% of what a vagina feels like.

So during the act of masturbation you not only get the full, real, 100% sensation of stroking a penis, you get the 100% sensation of stroking a penis AMPLIFIED by the dominance your hand has over your penis (sensory wise) and AMPLIFIED even further by the sensation you get from the penis that it's not actually a vagina interacting with it.

At the end of the line - and i anticipate this will be controversial - if you imagine sex (with a woman) and masturbate, your brain inevitably perceives you as the woman stroking the penis.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Why all your threads are the same?

3. Enwar

Enwar Fapstronaut

Good stuff. This is a good reminder not to masturbate.

ultrafabber likes this.
  4. ultrafabber

ultrafabber Fapstronaut

Never wrote about the sensory homunculus before so i don't know what you're talking about. And how is your comment contributing to anything, really?

Yea well I can't even masturbate anymore because I can no longer ignore I am stroking dick.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  5. It makes sense. Although i love a woman to masturbate me just because of the intimate encounter, i much prefer the feeling of doing it myself. Vaginal sex is in a different category.

6. High fives are hand sex. Who knew!?

7. lets not mention (*whispers*) footsies. :d

8. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Maybe handshakes are marital sex?

9. IbrahimViking

IbrahimViking Fapstronaut

I love you, guys, you are hilarious. :D:emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_heart_eyes:

Coffee Candy and Deleted Account like this.
  10. Enwar

Enwar Fapstronaut

Masturbation isn't sex, and he didn't say that it was. He's simply saying that you feel your hand over your genitals when you masturbate, which is true. There's no need to mock.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    ultrafabber and Deleted Account like this.
  11. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

I perceive and therefore thought the head was the most prominent member of all. We don't need to theorize or think with our hands or penis. We just use our brains for good common rational sense.

12. That's true. I rescind my comment.

13. I have a genuine question. When I'm having sex and feeling my wife's hair with my hand...you are suggesting that my hands touching her hair receive more stimulation then where I'm putting my penis? If that is true why are we tempted to touch our penis at all?

14. IbrahimViking

The model is, in a way, a model of your brain, rather than the model of the intensity of stimulation that you feel as a contrast. The size (roughly) represents how large an area the ends of the nerve fibers occupy in the cerebral cortex, more precisely - on the lobe that is at the top of your brain (slightly to the back).

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. So it relates to masturbation in how much brain function is needed to articulate my hand? Why does that matter? Just use a fleshlight, boom problem solved.

16. IbrahimViking

Besides, the size of parts on our imaginary friend homunculus here represents not only how many sensory connections are there, but also how complex they are. My guess for the reason why the quantity and the complexity are both used as one, combined, measure in the model, is that the model itself represents what is the most significant for, say, a neurosurgeon who will operate in an area, so that he or she can predict what difficulties the patient may face as a result of cutting into that area of the brain, as an example.
    By the way, they are still unsure about the genitals, it's one of the least clearly defined bits.

17. IbrahimViking

Its relation to masturbation is not clear to me, but the original poster tried to explain it.
    I think that if you are touching your penis, you don't need your hand to sense it - you just know it. Cuz, like, you're doing it. :D

18. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

The humunculus is the champion of NoFap. He literally cannot masturbate, is physically impossible for him.

Enwar and Deleted Account like this.
  19. ultrafabber

ultrafabber Fapstronaut

Yeah this topic turned into such a circus and it's not even the funny part of circus.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  20. Enwar

Enwar Fapstronaut

Thanks for rescinding. To answer your question, though, our hands may be more sensitive than our genitals, but they don't provide us with sexual pleasure when we touch things with them, while our genitals do. That's why penetration feels better than stroking hair.