1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy Weight or Light weight training

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by BillyBobBoBoBo, Oct 7, 2019.

1. so curious to ask, what weight training do you prefer out of the 2 & what benefits does it give you?

2. SparkySub

SparkySub Fapstronaut

Light to Medium weights. Lifting heavy weights is just overall bad and you don't make any gains, just end up straining your muscles. I lift light to medium weights and do other strength training exercises around it too, like press ups, sit ups etc. These are much more effective than lifting heavy weights and you gain natural strength and are always in better form.

BillyBobBoBoBo likes this.
  3. Heavy. Specifically, 6-4 reps of compound excercises at 80-85% one rep max. The literature on optimal rep ranges reflect this and it's done me wonders.

LavaMe and BillyBobBoBoBo like this.
  4. dethly

dethly Fapstronaut

I train as an MMA fighter. It is important for me to work my muscles in different ways, as they will need to be used differently depending on the situation. For someone following general fitness, I always recommend going after both! You will work both types of your muscle fibers and it will make you a much better athlete overall.
    I've tried doing the "bodybuilding" approach to fitness and I got more centered around developing a bigger muscle, as opposed to a more effective muscle. Sure, I was strong. Sure, I looked good. My muscles were only conditioned to do a specific movement in a specific position, for a short period of time. Build your muscular endurance as well as your explosive strength man, trust me!
    You can program a 3 or 4 day routine where you train Plyometrics(explosive body weight excercise.. clap pushups), Power(Squat,Dead,Bench), cardio and core and than muscular hypertrophy. Believe me when I say that this is a more functional way to train! Good luck and enjoy :)

dignifiedrose and BillyBobBoBoBo like this.
  5. uyrihcinetin

uyrihcinetin Fapstronaut

I am a martial artist, so I do light weight training to compliment my calisthenics and techniques. I have never really attempted to lift anything heavier than twice my own body weight.

SparkySub, BillyBobBoBoBo and dethly like this.
  6. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Heavy. I'm training for powerlifting right now.

Ajar, BillyBobBoBoBo and dethly like this.
  7. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I think you can get great results from lighter weights. Less stress on the joints as well. After 25+ years, I'm finally learning that heavy is not such a good idea anymore.

8. I do martial arts and calisthenics because I want a lean flexible and quick body, rather than a strong and impressive looking one. I simply don't value strength as much. I tried powerlifting though, and it was really fun to make gains, but you need to eat a lot more and if you do it wrong you can strain your joints. You may be different than I. What are your goals for fitness/body image? @dethly is probably right to say that you should combine the two.

9. I agree with the others here who advocate a mix of heavy and light. Regardless of what approach you choose, the one thing to keep in mind is variation of techniques and weight used. Your body is smart and will adapt to what you are doing, so you will have to regularly change up your routine as well as gradually add weight so you don't plateau.

Be consistent and challenge yourself. If something starts becoming too easy, either change your weight used or try a different movement. You will be amazed at the gains you will make over just a period of a few months. Trust me, you do lose your momentum and you will notice if you stop even for a few weeks and then try to pick back up where you left off like I had to do when I strained my back earlier this year.

Overall, it depends on your goals and the objectives you are trying to achieve.

10. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Mixing heavy and light training is good, but as a beginning lifter it's usually better to just pick one rep range and stick mainly to it. As a beginner getting used to lifting can be overwhelming enough in ans of itself. There's no need whatsoever to overcomplicate it further before you can no longer break through plateaus. Personally I have heard that the ideal rep range for a beginner is 5 reps (usually done for 3-5 sets depending on the program). Wether you consider that heavy, medium or light is up to you. But seriously as long as you challenge your body, make gains and know that your way of training is good for your personal goals, go for it. Although I would like to add that whatever sport you do, strength training and its effects on your overall physical preparedness and especially the vast health benefits wont hurt you. Against a common misconception you wont become accidentally a slow hulking balloon man, nor will you injure yourself if you do the lifts right.

BillyBobBoBoBo and dethly like this.
  11. bestbacon

bestbacon Fapstronaut

The problem I find with attempting both is most people lack the commitment to follow such a stringent regimen. If you are used to working out frequently by habit (5+ times a week) then you may benefit from the above advice which is likely to be extremely helpful.

Heavy lifting should always be mixed with plyo, calisthenics, stretching, or bodybuilding routines to provide for a balanced body. I have always felt that being able to do what a kid should do as an adult is the benchmark of performance.

BillyBobBoBoBo likes this.
  12. Ah cool, yeah I’d feel that’s more what I’d do, as being cheap to get a gym membership and only exercising at home with my pull-up bar, reebok Bench & adjustable dumbbells.

13. Ah cool, that’s great to hear it is doing well for you.

Deleted Account likes this.
  14. Fair enough, doing both I can imagine does wonders for some people, as someone training for fighting’s Though for me at the moment doing only a Calesthenics routine to work on a rep goal for close handed push-ups, chin-ups and lower body exercises before adding more, as also being cheap and not exercising at the gym but at home with my pull-up bar, bench and adjustable dumbbells. As more of a personal goal for my self. Glad you got your own routine sorted out for what you want to do.

15. Ah fair enough. I do a lot of Calisthenics as well, though haven’t tried adding light dumbbell exercising, though feel it is what I want to do as inspired by this site https://oskarfaarkrog.com/ as going with an updated version of his beginner routine mixed with Reddeltaproject’s Centerline training, with adding some dumbbell stuff as having them. Just need to work on my timing.

16. Awesome to hear man, hope you do well if you are doing competitions.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  17. Yeah I feel a bit of the same as of reading this website https://oskarfaarkrog.com/ doing an altered version of his beginners Calisthenics routine with mixed with Reddeltaprojects centerline training with close handed push-ups & Chin-ups to reach a rep range before adding extra weight stuff. As also being too cheap to exercise at the gym and doing it at home with my Pull-up bar, bench and adjustable dumbbells.

Mistersofty likes this.
  18. Ah cool. For my goals at the moment, it’s to better my Calisthenics with reaching the goal rep range of 30 close handed push-ups, 15-30 Close handed chin-ups & 100 for the lower body exercises of close legged squats, lunges, bridges and leg raises (which hope to work to dragon flies) all in good form and technique. That’s my goal at the moment to also have more of a lean muscular physique. Which I’d fill at the time to use light to moderate weight as exercising at home with adjustable dumbbells.

19. Oh I can understand as well, as it’s good to switch things up, though for me at the time I’m more focused on a Calisthenics goal to reach before changing my routinepf 30 Close handed push-ups (to work on one handed push-ups) & 15-30 close handed chin-ups and slow and controlled form and technique.

20. Of course that’s a good way to go about it. For me, I’m not a beginner, been exercising for a bit, though admittedly programmed hoped a lot, with my routine now being focused on doing a Calisthenics goal before changing it up as Male it a personal goal of lifting up my own body weight, as o think at the moment is a personal preference for me.