1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel prize winner

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by brilliantidiot, Oct 11, 2019.

1. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

2. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

So tired of that eviro Nazi girl.

3. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

4. I never understood why they would give a Nobel for climate change activists. I’ve always felt that prize should be exclusively for people who bring peace during times of war and military conflict. I know they’ve issued the noble to some for their climate efforts but I don’t think they should continue to do so since it’s not really in keeping with Alfred Nobels reasons for the peace prize.

It’s still ironic though that we make a big deal over a peace prize named after the same man who invented dynamite and blasting caps. lol

5. GregHill

GregHill Fapstronaut

I am excited about the prize in chemistry for lithium ion batteries!!!

Now there is a great bit of tech!

6. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

That's kind of the reason Alfred Nobel set up the prize - he saw that his invention, that science, was being used for evil, for warfare, so he created the Nobel Prize for people who do good in the world in various fields.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  7. Are you sure? I think he setup the prize as a means of regret for what he had done since he did work on armaments and I believe had his own armament factories.

8. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Isn't that basically the same thing as what I wrote?

brilliantidiot likes this.
  9. Noble prize has long been awarded according to certain biases from certain parties. (Most of it, not always, but certainly one too many times!)

Deleted-Account likes this.
  10. Nobel's will is almost always broken. For example, the science prizes ought to be awarded for the most significant discovery in a field in the past year but that's usually impossible to do since big discoveries rarely need less than a year of work. Peter Higgs and his colleagues got their prize 50 years after they came up with the boson...

11. Yes and no. What you wrote made it sound like he was a good scientist upset that other people used science for death and destruction when it was himself that did it. But whatever, we’re splitting hairs at this point.