1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Who am I kidding...?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Today, I want to share an internal conversation I had with myself.

I was pondering the question, "Why is it that after two days of nofap, the new state of being has become natural? Why was it that when starting Tuesday, that I had no clue whether I would be strong enough to stay on track?"

Here's my reply.

Who am I kidding...? I realize that I wasn't so much addicted as someone would be with a substance addiction like opiates or medication. I was dependent on a HABIT, which I wouldn't want to give up on.

So, I realized by labeling it an addiction, I was about to set myself up for disaster. Hey, beating an addiction is hard, right? What are the numbers of people who can beat it? How many people statistically fall back and slip?

Why I decided on day 2 to stop that private chat about me being an addict of fap. Instead, I admitted to myself: "I liked to fap. It was my own decision to do it. There is no evidence that I have to continue doing it. There is no detox center or rehab necessary like for substance abuse; it all has to do with the question:

Do I want to continue with that "lifestyle" or do I want to change?

So often, working with my clients shows me that not the flesh is weak, but our minds. Usually, I ask the question, "Do you really want to change that habit of yours? Why do you want to change it? What for? What do you expect from it?"

And my 20 years of experience as a coach has shown me that if someone has a positive motivation for, eg. I want to..., instead of I don't want to anymore, that there's a high chance that the change will become a reality.

So, here's my challenge to you.

Ask yourself whether you want to really get off fabbing; then stop calling it an addiction and see it as what it really is: A habit, which brought you deceiving pleasure and satisfaction, to the extent that you didn't want to let it go.

Hey, if you want to, you can. Yes, it takes will-power, and that comes naturally after you've set your motivation (what drives you to stop fabbing) and dedicate yourself to it.

Stay focused on what, why, and what for you really want it.

To our mutual success!

PS: To give up on fap is probably 20% of beating an "addiction" and 80% of conscious decision to do so, and sticking with it.

BreakingBenjamin, bestbacon and Roady like this.
  2. Let me know how it works out. Stay strong bro.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Nicko Stretch

Nicko Stretch Fapstronaut

Interesting. I struggled to stop when I thought it was just a habit. Once I gave it the weight and seriousness of an addiction I have had far more success. This maybe because I have overcome other addictions in the past so have positive references to kicking them.

What ever works I suppose, different language means different things to different people.

Good luck with it.

Deleted Account and need4realchg like this.
  4. bestbacon

bestbacon Fapstronaut

You are so right on so many levels, we are indeed creatures of habit, most our thoughts and actions have been influenced by what we were doing and thinking about the night before. The fact that you understand that it's your subconscious that are putting these often illogical thoughts in your head, allows you to look at your thoughts from a non-preferential view.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. Thank you very much. I can not explain the difference that the decision of nofap has made in my life, close to a week ago. All the best to you too, bro.

6. Thank you very much for your feedback. I couldn't have put it better. To your success! Keep at it, it's worth it.

7. I totaly second your thought "different languages," PLUS different background gives words and concepts a different meaning. What ever works. Keep staying true to yourself. Congrats on kicking many other addictions.

Nicko Stretch likes this.