1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

So many drama queens?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by NothingMoreNothingLess, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Also, on the subject of censorship, sure it's nice to not hear about racism and sexism and the like, but the only reason it's nice is because you're blissfully ignorant and assuming that you aren't hearing about it because it isn't there. I don't think that's helpful to society, to live in ignorance. I would love to never hear anyone say a racist word again in my life, but I would only love that if it was because nobody is racist anymore. Covering it up is just like covering your eyes and pretending it doesn't exist, which is actually kind of harmful. Because what happens when minority races talk about racism and their oppression, and the rest of us are like "yeah right, I never see racism anymore, because I'm covering my eyes." That's not helpful.

IbrahimViking and MLMVSS like this.
  2. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

On the other hand taking down threads is the only way mods can show people what kind of behavior is not tolerated on this forum. If they didn't take the most hateful threads down, some idiot might think that their bitter elitism is - to a certain degree - socially acceptable. Maybe there could be some kind of archives-section where the shit that doesn't deserve space among the more sensible threads go. Although I guess that could require more work than simply deleting those posts?

EDIT: I have to add in that I don't advocate cencorship if it's done by the government. I just think that if someone puts up a website, they have a right to restrict freedom of speech on that specific website and that it's okay to take a clear stance against the most hateful content. Even in that case it's good to remember that the line between hateful enough to deserve deleting and a little insulting but tolerable can be difficult to draw.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I feel like censorship is a way of blaming the flashlight for showing you all the disgusting things in a dark room full of crap. Free speech is the flashlight. It's not the flashlight's fault that the room is full of crap. It would be better if the room wasn't full of crap, but since it is, wouldn't you rather know that before you go walking around in it?

Demodectic, brilliantidiot and MLMVSS like this.
  4. Yeah, I understand. I think the best course of action is to take them down. I'm just saying, there is a part of me that is frustrated when I see some or my buddies being all nice and chummy with a dude who just said women are subhuman, because my buddies don't know he said that. That's annoying.

And I agree to a degree that leaving those things up might make them feel acceptable, but what if the only responses the dude is getting is "dude, that's absurd, and this is a disgusting way to think about people." Isn't that a pretty effective way to show them their behavior isn't tolerated here?

To be clear, I'm just talking. I'm not actually advocating the forums change their rules, and I'm not saying mods moderating a forum is censorship, because it's not, really. I do think the best thing is to take them down, in this case, so the authority figures who run this place make it clear to new users that they are welcome and that stuff isn't allowed here. But I'm just saying, there are cons to that, too. I would be happier if people who posted crap like that got banned. Because that would solve both problems. We wouldn't have to see that crap, and we wouldn't have to worry about hanging out with a wolf in sheep's clothing because all their nasty threads have been deleted before we got to see how terrible they are.

5. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Yes, and if we can't hear the racists etc. we can't even dream of ever teaching them not to be racist, because we wouldn't have any way to hear why they are the way they are.

6. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

That's a very good point of view and worth considering, yes.

Banning could be a good idea. Although even that wouldn't help, since they can always create another account or not bring up their twisted views in the first place and no one would know. I guess that's just overall the scary part about all kinds of human interaction. You can never know for sure what's beneath the surface.

7. Yeah, of course. There's no way to avoid it completely or fix the issue completely. We just have to deal with it the best we can.

8. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

You could always ban their IPS. Apparently Reboot Nation do that. They could get a new one but you must be a pretty determined troll do that. Nothing is going to completely stop such people but banning IPS would be like a fence around the forum.

9. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

Hahaha. The litmus test for who is a snowflake are the people here who are pro censorship, talking about banning people, etc. lol, you folks are the ones that are hurt off words. I noticed that this place is really butt ass hurt over gender subjects, and those not praising feminazi egalitarian bluepill cuck philosophies really bother the snowflakes. The beta white knights team up with the feminazis and cry FOUL! Fucking pathetic. lol

10. My favorite is when those people use buzzwords and insults to attack you because they can’t comprehend the idea that even a gun toting conservative like them thinks they’re fucking stupid!

11. Well... you said it's a terrible analogy because poo is medically dangerous. Therefore to satisfy your overdeveloped attention to detail I changed my analogy poos to poos which are safe but still smell bad. Shit can pollute streets, garbage posts can pollute forums. I think it's accurate.

You're of course right that the boundaries should be set by sensible people but I disagree that the world is 'saturated with overly-sensitive buffoons'. Those people are a tiny majority - perhaps a vocal one, but tiny.

And who talks about government here? This thread is about forum moderation. And while on a global level freedom of speech should be absolute or near to it I very much prefer to have some amount of censorship on a local level just so that a community I'm a member of doesn't become one of those cesspools.

Maybe you wouldn't mind staying on a forum which gets spammed with posts about genetic inferiority of blacks or conspiracy theories about Jews or dehumanizing women to fuckdolls but I would. Does that make me overly sensitive?

12. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

The sensitive people need to get 4chan-pilled. lol; its how I got cured from my former leftism.

13. Demodectic

Demodectic Fapstronaut

I hate Censorship other than if somebody is spamming. Censorship is "not playing fair" and really the best way to have a logical argument is to let another person talk and their own stupidity will come out. But if the posts are locked or scrubbed you cant even come to a logical conclusion.

Censorship is like the old book-burning of the old days and is part of the methods that fascists and totalitarians and communists use to suppress free speech. Regardless of opinion we have to logically conclude that the only thing that is fair and equitable is free speech that is devoid of censorship. That is why it is the First Amendment of the Constitution because even our founding fathers recognized that censorship is a form of oppression and tyranny.

14. There is no censorship on these forums. :) The only stuff that gets deleted is one where you are directly hating women, homosexuals or other ideologies or religions etc. And this doesn't spell censorship in any way, shape or form. When you agree to join the forums, you agree to abide by its rules, and you can't modify them according to your own preferences.

engelman, Lilla_My, recon117 and 2 others like this.
  15. NothingMoreNothingLess

NothingMoreNothingLess Fapstronaut

@ShadyPerson what's up my man?

Replies that I mean would be responses that do not argue the opinion presented by the poster, that put words in the mouth of the posters, and shames the poster on other threads passive aggressively. The only time I realized people got butt hurt over my thread was the one where I said that men and women cannot be friends as the sexual nature is still there and you can't fight it comparing it to alpha and beta male terms as this is normal with natural selection. There was a lot of posters, some on this thread right now too, who went ape shit and tried putting words into my mouth that I never said at all and made threads about it shaming me and my viewpoint, which is actually against the rules here on the site.

@Get_It can vouch for me, I actually tried bringing the commotion down even when there were many just acting victim and attacking me. I don't care if they disagreed with me, this is the internet, but I would rather hear "Hey, actually I have a lot of friends that are female and I disagree with you because ______. What do you think of this?" instead of "OP! Your post is so hateful of women, so misogynistic and sexist. You're wrong, so respond to me now!" Then people accused me of being part of MGTOW or a men's right group, which I am not. It just made me sick to my stomach honestly since I already log onto here barely since I focus on my journey, and all I was doing was giving advice to people early in their reboots regarding self improving relations who might need it and that's it.

edit: @Optimum Fortitude Seemed to have his thread criticizing LGBT propaganda deleted, while he said nothing that broke the rules of the guidelines. Same like what happened to me with my thread. Beginning to lose trust in the moderators. I want to know who deleted it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  16. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I'm okay. Been kinda demotivated and sad today but I feel optimistic. What about you?
    Also should I know you? Sorry, but I've been talking so much on this forum that although I remember the conversations, I can't always remember with whom I had them.

But thanks for clarifying what you meant. I haven't had to witness too much of this kind of behavior and for that I'm grateful. It's weird how people don't seem to realize that you can disagree with someone without having to hate and attack them. I can see why your thread's subject would be the kind of subject that people can get very emotional over and misunderstand it because of that, but I still wouldn't necessarily view it as an offensive thread. So yeah, it really sucks that you had to deal with that shit. But I guess that's also kinda inevitable online.

17. NothingMoreNothingLess

NothingMoreNothingLess Fapstronaut

I don't know if you know me personally, but you're a fellow member here and always here to help anyone who needs it since we're all here to support one another. Hey man, I believe that you can kick this addiction's ass honestly. It's so possible to just get rid of the addiction just like grabbing an item, but it's just the mind that seems to kill people's motivation. But I believe in you my man, and I hope you get everything sorted! :cool:

Yeah, it sort of sucked honestly. It just made me sick to be frank, since this is a support group that we're all here to help each other and share ideas without getting attacked because of different views. I even respectfully conversed with one of the females who posted their view and we didn't even argue at all, but just had a civil conversation. One of the moderators never gave me an explanation to it's deletion, so I am talking with a few other moderators to have this situation sorted since I know I didn't say anything offensive. The worst I probably said on that thread was how females are better at manipulating since they are used to feeling different emotions regularly compared to males, but that is just science and not really offensive. Also, don't give up on your journey man. I believe in you that you can escape the PMO addiction, just don't give up on yourself!

18. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Ah, I see, you were just being friendly. :D I appreciate that.

I can imagine that the unexplained deleting of the thread is the worst part. I mean random douchebags online are (unforrunately) just the norm, but mods removing threads that aren't against the rules or even that offensive is really concerning. I hope this situation gets handled asap.

But thanks for being so supportive! It might take time and effort, but I will get my life sorted.

19. @NothingMoreNothingLess I'm not sure what happened to the other thread again where you questioned the reasons behind your thread being deleted, but I wanted to say that I think the subjective feeling of someone being offended by something is always a valid reason to delete a post/thread. But for whatever it's worth, as a woman I personally can tell you that I still didn't see any misogyny in your original post and I really wonder what would happen if I made a thread saying 'I don't want to be friends with men since all they talk about is cars, beer, sports and women's breasts' sure, that is a narrow-minded, generalizing, stereotypical statement about men's interest, but if someone would label that view as spreading hate against men and called me a misandrist because of it, then I would make a rant as well. But as said, I guess what people define as sexist and hateful is very subjective. Also I agree with you that people put words into your mouth which is never a fair basis to delete someone's thread/post. If I made a thread about why I don't want to hang out with 90-year old ladies because I can't relate to them as friends and wouldn't be interested in hearing them talk about their favorite soap operas and their favorite hemorrhoid ointments, that would suddenly be equivalent with me spreading hate against 90-year old ladies?! That would imply I am not genuinely taking care of my 90-year old grandmother, listening to her and respecting and valuing her as a human being?! That would imply I reduce 90-year old ladies to nothing but objects to use for feeding my cats and watering my plants while I'm away?! What?! I can definitely see that people are being way too sensitive and easily triggered nowadays and tend to not use logic and reason to reflect on someone's opinion or just generally not use their brain at all and act like sheep, not to mention the concept of being offended by someone having a certain thought in their head. As someone else already said, I will never understand that concept. If someone wants to be narrow-minded and think that women have no other interests than nail salons and makeup, how does that affect me, even as a woman?! It's not offending me personally, let alone harming me physically or mentally. Every single human being's rights are protected by the law, as long as someone's opinion isn't expressed in a hateful way and doesn't cause any harm (like for example thinking that women should be treated with violence and aggression), why not just either ignore it or debate it in a civilized way? Either way, I think in your case it all comes down to the fact that as soon as someone feels offended, that always has to be respected, no matter if it seems justified to you or not.

20. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.