1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are movies bad if we don't like them?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Infrasapiens, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I just watched a film with a friend. I don't want to even remember the name as it was completely disgusting. It was that kind of film that wants to disturb you showing cruelty and sexual violence.

I hated it but, does that makes it bad? I mean the way the film was made was good, the camara showed you everything you needed, the effects were bad but there was one that was really good, the soundtrack reflected the ambiance of the scenes correctly. But it's the point of watching a film to enjoy it? Because they could have done all those things right but I still hate the thing.

What do you think?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Movies are like art: it’s subjective. People can analyse them differently or they could for ideological gains.

For example, the Critics reviews vs the user reviews on Rotten Tomatoes; they tend to be different, sometimes vastly so.

Sometimes poorly-made movies are hilarious in themselves because they are abhorrently cheesy.

I’d say the main bad movies are ones glorifying rape or something like that.

3. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

And the critics don't always agree with each other.

4. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I've never seen a movie that glorifies rape. And I don't want to either. But this one was pretty explicit about it.

5. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I think there are some relatively objective measurements of film's quality. Like technical things and how well it all ties in together etc. But just as all rules in art, even these measurements can be bent and broken by a skilled artist.

But how the person watching the film feels about it will always be very subjective. Personally I like Star Wars movies very much. However I wouldn't say that they are particularly good films. They are unique and entertaining and the original trilogy was good by the standards of it's own time, but they are still kinda flawed. So I'd say that what we like and what can be called objectively good from artistic standpoint are separate entities.

On the other hand one could argue that if I don't like the film, it doesn't matter how technically well made it is, because it failed it's main purpose which is to engage and entertain the audience. One could also claim that all good and bad is subjective and therefore all that matters is how you feel about it.

I don't know. I personally like to differentiate between more technical and artistic qualities and the entertainment value. But I guess there's no wrong way to approach art. That's partially even the point of art. Everyone will view it differently.

6. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

If you don't like it, it must be destroyed.

7. If it bleeds, we can kill it

8. Yes it's bad to you, doesn't mean it will be to other people.

9. I agree with some of the above comments. There are some qualities of art, in any form, that are fairly objective and you can say are good or bad. But for the most part, it's subjective. Nobody's opinion on a movie is fact.

bluemax4 likes this.
  10. Except the undeniable reality that Suicide Squad was garbage. That's a fact.

bluemax4 likes this.
  11. It's like when you look at a piece of art, everyone had a different interpretation

12. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

If a movie about a KKK Nazi Satanist (I don't know) that eats babies or something comes out, and it glorifies all that, but it is really well made, then I suppose I would find the movie horrible, but not bad.

It is like the generation past mine and videogames. BioShock is a work of art, from the arquitecture to the enviroments and the music, but I suppose they would still find it horrible because of the violence.

Hotline Miami is about murdering people in horrible ways, a horrible thing, but it is one of best games I've ever played.

Dude I love Hotline Miami.

bluemax4 likes this.
  13. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Although also the theme of the movie counts in on the artistic value. The reality is that you coudln't really justify being a baby eating KKK Nazi Satanist to any sane person, and therefore all the arguments portrayed in favor of that shit would be good sounding but fallacious at best. Therefore the theme of the movie would be very poorly handled.

One could argue that themes don't matter that much as long as the movie is otherwise good and enjoyable, but since a movie glorifying beKKKns's wouldn't be relatable for most of us, it would still be bad.

So at least it wouldn't be a great movie.

14. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Well I thought about that too. The fact that a group of people enjoyed the movie I mentioned make me a bit sick, they are either very objective or insane. But should their opinions about the movie should be invalidated?

15. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Opinions should never bee completely invalidated. There is usually something that people who disagree with us can teach us. It's difficult for me to give my opinion on how good or bad the movie you saw was, since I haven't seen it and only have heard one opinion about it. It could be for instance that you just don't get the movie. (And no, that's not intented as an insult to your intelligence. Sometimes we just don't get some pieces of art. Personally I have always had difficulty to see why Mona Lisa is so great, but maybe I just don't get it.) Personally I have noticed that for instance oftentimes people can't look past the gore and horror of horror films and see the deeper themes behind it.

16. Horror is one thing and gore is another, yet they also try to make it sound like a horror film is only about gore. I down right refuse to watch films with gore (Not to be confused with violence) and if there’s not a whole lot I’ll look away at those scenes, I don’t see any deeper theme to those kind of films other than people’s obsession for it to get more and more gruesome each year.

It’s hard trying to find an actual good horror film that doesn’t shove gore down your throat, I don’t know why folks love seeing bodies mutilated in detail or people getting hurt realistically.

17. I love American Psycho, reminds me not to be obsessed with material gains

18. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I think that there are both objective and subjective measures of a movie's success.

A movie about rape, for example, is more likely to be entertaining if it is not super realistic, but that would make it fail as a realistic and legitimate examination of the subject matter. Personally I avoid movies with such themes at the moment as I am in recovery :)

19. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Look at The Emoji Movie. It is terrible, but the animation is decent to say the least, still it was a disaster for it's plot and "themes".

20. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Yes, that would be correct. Horror and gore are different things.

I kinda disagree with there not being any proper themes to more gory films. Sure a lot of those kind of films don't really have any themes, but for instance Saw films (not sure if all of them or just a couple of them) tried to go for some themes with the motivations of the main antagonist, which I at the time of watching found to be very deep. Although I was like 13 so I wouldn't be suprised if they weren't all that impressive in reality. But that's kinda besides the point. I think that while gore is oftentimes used just as a cheap tool to draw in some less-than-intelligent audience, gore can also be utilized in a more thematic film and I'd be suprised if it hadn't already been done.

But yeah, it is really hard to find actually good horror films. Not just because of the excessive gore, but also because of excessive jumpscares, heavy emphazis on horror cliches and because I feel most of the horror films try too hard to be as scary as possible and usually fail at it while simultaneously sacrificing important aspects like plot on the altar of spookiness. I think it tells a lot about my despair that the first thing I think when I see a trailer of a new horror film is that this is propably going to be just as bad and generic as the last one.