1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Living My Best Life Challenge

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Day 1 continued:

Just got back from the library, and I ended up working for about an hour and a half. I'm super pleased with the results! I was able to outline the character arcs of both my POV characters for my new book, which basically gives a vague outline for the entire story. I'm really stoked about that, because the male character was giving me a lot of trouble. I couldn't figure out what his story was, aside from being a love interest for the girl, but I feel like I know him better now.

So yay :) all's going well so far today. I'm meeting all my goals, staying on tack with only eating healthy snacks and minimizing the amount as well. No soda yet, I'll have one with dinner in a bit. Aside from the healthy eating, all that's left on the schedule for today is to read at least one chapter of a book, which should be simple enough.

I'll check back in tomorrow :)

2. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

This is such an awesome idea!

I'm doing something similar (bot not as well framed). Last month was fun, I did a 30 Days of Lists challenge (in the challenge's private Facebook group I was the only man in 209 members!), I ended the month with a week's holiday in the Scottish Highlands with my family, and I turned 54 on the 27th! That all spurred me on to lay down some rules for October. Here are mine, some are rules, some are to-do items:
    • Review New Year's Resolutions
    • Revisit my 'focus' mind-map and stay on top of the tools and techniques for improving focus. I'm especially keen to work out some phrases to use in my head to stop myself when I go to procrastinate and to celebrate the periods when I achieve focus.
    • No breakfast, Huel for lunch, and a reasonable sized dinner every weekday
    • Lots of yoga (e.g. four classes a week, and use our new yoga/Pilates room at home)
    • Running on Monday and / or Wednesday
    • No news apps or social media (perhaps for the first two weeks only, not sure this is wise for a month)
    • Before leaving the house for work or yoga I can only read my book or check the weather on my phone. No losing myself in random phone activities.
    • No alcohol
    • Cut sugar
    • Reduce wheat
    • No spending except
      • food
      • health
      • stuff that benefits others
    Some of these aren't very good, how do I measure something like "reduce wheat"?, but they are my current October list. I did a social media detox for the first two weeks of August. I included these forums in my moratorium as I was spending too much time here, but that's not true now (the opposite is!) so I'm not including the forums this time. The other weird thing I found last time was that instead of obsessively checking Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram I obsessively checked news apps! So I've added 'news' to my moratorium this time.

Thanks for prompting this reflection @Castielle

Deleted Account and MrVaughn like this.
  3. Those are great, man! Good luck with your goals ^_^

4. Day 2:
    Everything went great! I accomplished everything on my list. I even went to a birthday party that night that was serving little cheesecake cupcakes with strawberries and whipped cream to put on top, and I was still pretty full from dinner, so I just had some of the strawberries and cream.

I also got some good writing in. Only a couple paragraphs, but I got pretty hyped about this new book, because I'm writing it in first person/present tense, which I've never done before. Those were my first couple paragraphs trying out that method and I really like it!

Day 3:
    Unfortunately yesterday was not super great. We have to leave pretty early for work on Tuesdays, so I didn't end up having time to make the smoothie I was planning on having. So I had leftovers instead, which wasn't particularly healthy, but I didn't want them to go to waste.

I also didn't have time to do my writing before work either, so I didn't end up doing it, because I was soooo tired later in the day. I finished the 3rd season of 13 Reasons Why instead. But I did still manage to read a chapter of a book before it was time for bed, so I'm happy with that. :)

I also had some cheese itz at lunch, which don't exactly fit into my healthy lunch plans, but after not havung time to eat much for breakfast, I was super hungry.

I also relapsed, which is obviously not great.

Overall, not a perfect day, but I did still manage to do everything else on my list, despite being really tired that day. So I'm not too disappointed.

Day 4:
    Just woke up. We only have a couple short clients today, so I'm hopeful that there will be plenty of time to accomplish my goals. :)

I've already checked my scosil media notifications, so I'm gonna hop off here and read my Bible for a bit before I do my stretches.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  5. I like that you did not destroy your idea of progress because you had setbacks.
    My recommendation is to to have a checklist for every item you wanted to achieve every day and honestly fill it out at the end of the day.
    Make sure this is physical paper, you have to see it every day. This produces visual accountability and shows how much you actually got done

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

wow Brother, I am very interested in this idea. Kudos!

7. I'm a sister :) lol but thanks!

Address007 likes this.
  8. Idk what it is, but I've been absolutely drained the last couple days. Idk, maybe I'm not getting enough protein or something? The past couple days I just feel super lethargic and like I can barely do anything. It's frustrating.

9. ItsSeal

ItsSeal Fapstronaut

A change of your normal habits can be a shock to your body, especially when you cut sugar food. However, after 4 days to a week, it should be normal again and better (I believe, i am not a scientist but you can search it on google).

Very good you want to change a lot of habits, It points out the fact you can improve your life on many different parts in life. However, starting all habits at the same time isn't that successful over time. One failure of the 10 habits, can cause a domino effect of failing every 10. My suggestion is to just start with one, apply it. When it feels natural, start with the second. Yes... this seems like a very old loooongggg way!!! But you wont notice it! (My experience)!. The satisfaction to keep that one habit up, often makes up for a lot happiness already, and motivation to keep going forward. Simple said, its easier and simpler, and by that, more successful. At least, that is how i think about it and how it worked out for me. I started with no PM, after one week running, after that week more healthy food, and ect ect.

Never the less, great job! Have a good day!

10. Thanks, I agree if the goal is to live by these habits forever. But that is not my goal. This is just a week challenge for a vlog I'm doing. But if some of the healthy habits stick, that would be nice.

ItsSeal likes this.
  11. Day 4:
    Probably the worst day so far, in regards to completing my goals. I had some other things I had to do in the morning, like dishes and such, so I didn't do my writing. I also didn't end up reading or exercising because I was so exhausted last night.

I've noticed that if I don't do my writing in the morning, it's really hard to do it later, especially when I'm so tired. So I'm going to try to get some writing done this morning (day 5).

Aside from that though, I did everything else yesterday. Except listing to a sermon. I just realized I forgot to do that. But we had a really short work day. I barely listened to anything anyway.

12. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

oh I am so sorry!
    :) i hope this day goes well for you.

13. No worries! :)

14. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

@Castielle, we got up to Day 4, what happened next?

15. Oh hey, I kind of got tired of updating here, since I was vlogging the whole thing as well. Lol

I can't remember exactly, but I know the last couple days didn't go as well. My body reacted really strangely to the changes in diet, which was unexpected to me because it wasn't even that big of a change. But I was absurdly tired all the time, like so tired it was a struggle to get off the couch to go grab a glass of water and sit back down.

So basically I had to make some changes, because being that tired made it impossible for me to do things like write or read, and those goals were a higher priority for me. So I sort of cut out the changes in diet and tried to focus mostly on getting some writing done.

By the end of the week, I sort of abandoned the challenge, but it served the purpose I wanted it to serve, which was to learn how those habits effect me and how I can continue to implement them. I learned that I really enjoy reading the Bible in the morning before I get out of bed, and that if I don't write in the morning before work, it's harder for me to do any writing in the evening. I also learned that not having soda in the mornings wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, and I kind of got myself out of the feeling of needing to have it. I still like to have it, but sometimes I end up deciding I would prefer water or tea or something.

So I would consider it a success, because I learned a lot, and that was the goal :) I knew I probably wouldn't stick to all of these things, but I wanted to learn.

Also, talking to my mom about this challenge spurred her to decide she wants to be more disciplined in her life with some of her own goals, and she asked me if I would be her accountability partner. Which we've been doing for a couple weeks now, and just got together yesterday to chat, and it's already helped me tremendously with NoFap. I've only MO'ed once in the last two weeks, and it was the kind of situation I wouldn't even count as a relapse. So I'm really excited about that :)

kropo82 likes this.