1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Wim Hof

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Gorilla.hands, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Gorilla.hands

Gorilla.hands Fapstronaut

Hey guuuuys!
    Just wanted to know if anyone here practices the Wim Hof Method (Breathing and Cold Water). I actually used it sometimes when I wanted to masturbate and it worked and now im still doing it. Cold baths or ice baths in the morning and breathing mostly before sleeping :)

2. mr.incognito

mr.incognito Fapstronaut

I tried the breath holding for a month but didn't feel any cumulative effects so I quit - it's kind of relaxing but that's it - but I still do cold showers because they wake me up in the morning, but they have no other effect.

3. I do it most of the time, the more energy u have within yourself the more of a “high” u get from it. It’s also great for relaxation and of course it becomes more beneficial the more you practice it. :) I feel bliss and joy, a positive highness that just feels so good

Gorilla.hands likes this.
  4. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

Yes, I was reading his interesting book "The way of the Iceman" this last summer and have ever since (although I had started a little prior to that) been taking ice-showers daily plus a bath in the ocean at least 1-2 times a month on top of that. Last weekend, me and two friends went for a seven minute swim in the 10 degree ocean which felt great afterwards, although it took me some time to warm up after stepping up.
    I do normally do some heavy and controlled breathing prior to stepping into that cold water which helps getting through the first few minutes. As you start getting used to it, you can also experiment with going outside for a run/walk in chilly weather with much less clothes than you are used to and after some time, even remove the gloves to temper your hands as well.

Previously, I used to feel quite cold in the current weather and especially my hands would suffer even more in the 5-7 degree (Celsius) temperatures. But nowadays, I am getting increasingly resistant and insensitive to the cold and many people seem to stare in amazement as I am running by with shorts and t-shirt (plus a thin long-sleeve) and no gloves.
    All of the above give you incredible health benefits such as improved circulation, boosted immune-system (and T-levels) and the removal of several toxins and waste-products from your body.

Combine it with some intermittent fasting, belief in yourself (and a world of abundance) and you have a recipe for a very radiant, healthy and clean lifestyle where you will age very slow and gloriously compared to the majority which will age fast and become plagued by illness (mental and physical), immobility, scarcity and frustration.
    There is a good reason as to why a stoic and ascetic lifestyle have been practiced and taught for thousands of years, even to this very day and age. The industrialized world we now live in with all its comforts, conveniences and instant gratifications is what makes people hedonistic, ill and depressed.
    The answer is going back to the roots, read and discover how people could thrive and prosper back in the day without all the comforts we take for granted today.

5. PancanBoy

PancanBoy Fapstronaut

I've been taking daily ice baths- I bought a chest freezer for it. It's an amazing experience on its own, but man do I feel good afterwards. I don't do the Wim Hof breathing techniques too often but I want to try making that a habit.

Gorilla.hands and recon117 like this.
  6. Gorilla.hands

Gorilla.hands Fapstronaut

Love to hear that! Especially the "The industrialized world we now live in with all its comforts, conveniences and instant gratifications is what makes people hedonistic, ill and depressed."" part. I always tried to go out of my comfort zone and the "normal" society just looks at you and thinks your crazy. I practice IF since around 4 years now and fast at least once a month for 2-3 days completly. At first it was pretty hard but you really get used to it, appreciate food more and learn to feel, when you are really hungry and not just crave for something.

Through wimhof I really learned to love the cold more and more and also the feeling of "what is really cold" changed completly. Most of the people already freeze when its 10 C outside and I still ran around in shorts.

Angus McGyver likes this.
  7. Angus McGyver

The best things is that when you start getting used to cold-showers, cold baths and cold-runs, the cold doesn't affect you as much and by just controlling your breathing and being present in the moment, it won't have much power over you. People who suffer continuously from depression and a sense of indifference should get one of the simplest remedies available: Regular cold showers and cold baths in the ocean. Add some intermittent fasting into it for quicker and even better effect.
    I have never fasted for a full 24 hour (due to my frequent and intense exercise habits) but will try to do so for a day or two in December to see what happens and how it affect me. Plus, I will feel even better by really saving myself up for that heavy and greasy Christmas food and appreciate it even more.

Gorilla.hands and PancanBoy like this.
  8. PancanBoy

PancanBoy Fapstronaut

My recommendation is to drink lots of water. Mix electrolytes in there. It'll be a really good fast!

9. can anyone share their experience with this method of breathing? what are the benefits? in what time frame and etc.

10. Angus McGyver

I actually did a 48 hour fast in December (and have done a dozen 24 hour fasts since) due to some massive bloating after I returned from my trip to The States and it wasn't too hard. I felt a bit funky falling asleep without having eating anything for the entire day (it could have been the jetlag too) but as I ate that following evening, it actually felt like I had cleansed my body from lots of preservatives, GMOs and toxins that are hidden in most American food (or food-like items).

11. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Fapstronaut

I did Wim Hof method for a while but after a few weeks I started slacking and just gave up because I didnt feel like I experienced too much benefits from it. What has helped me tremendously whatsoever: meditation. It is truly amazing how meditating just 20 minutes a day is changing my entire life.

12. maybe you should have continued, two weeks is too short to conclude. I may assume meditation worked out better for you probably because you built the foundation by WimHof already lol. My friends told me meditation is dangerous, you may end up being psycho if you don't be careful.

13. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Fapstronaut

@Dimash's 6th octave Yes you are very correct.
    I am also told that going out of your house is dangerous, you may end up getting hit by a car or truck..

14. If we considered all possible dangers we wouldn't get up in the morning! Think of the tortoise. If it didn't stick its neck out it would get nowhere!

15. I've been told that the Wim Hof method is like mindfulness. But it is like mindfulness taken to extremes.
    However I can write with some experience about mindfulness. I found it very hard indeed. But cold is a tangible reality. Perhaps with it as a teacher I can finally master mindfulness?

16. it's been already a week since I started wimhof breathing method. I didn't notice anything so far, still unable to focus. Too many negative thinking. When am I supposed to start to see the first benefits? thanks

17. Been doing it a year or so now. The breathing helps a little bit but the real breakthrough is ice-cold showers; no less than two minutes at a time. Does absolute wonders for willpower and energy levels as well as helping immunity.

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. Thanks man,
    How frequently you should be taking ice-baths?
    I take cold showers daily, and now my skin is dried so badly. After taking cold showers I actually feel sleepy.
    Can you please share some tips? Do you think buying the course worth it?

19. Honestly? The way I see it the course is a scam. As great as the WHM is, there's nothing in there I think warrants the multi-hundred-dollar asking price.

As for your experience with cold showers, I'm sorry to hear that. Honestly, they have the complete opposite effect on me. My skin is much better since I've been taking them and my energy levels are through the roof (comparatively speaking). Make sure you're taking them for long enough: at least two minutes at a time. As for your skin, you might want to try taking contrast showers instead. This is where you alternate between hot and cold water in 30 second or minute intervals (or whatever-you-want-long intervals). This helps open up your pores to wash out any detritus whilst still keeping the masculine look cold showers provide.

20. Thanks for your honest review.
    Perhaps the dry skin is due to the cold winter? It's -25 C where I live.
    After drying the hell out of my entire body I went to sauna and kind of softened my skin there.
    You don't breath like WimHof anymore? I did practice this breathing for a week, but didn't feel energized or didn't feel my mental focus improved. Maybe it's too early to see the benefits? what do you think?