1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How hard is it to give up video games for good?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Nov 3, 2019.

1. I'm starting to realize I'm playing way too many video games, and it hasn't ceased ever since I started as a kid. I'm playing GTA 5 online like you wouldn't believe. For those who have quit, how difficult was it?

2. Can’t you just cut back? Just because you do something too much doesn’t mean you need to quit, moderation is key like anything.

3. Just Is

Just Is Fapstronaut

I joined Stop Gaming to control my habit. Theres a forum, discord server and a Reddit sub (separate from the two). Only a small few make the choice in the end of it (90 days) to quit for good. Most will regain a good balance with it again and choose to game again. If you think of it more as just stopping for a while instead of quitting, it's easier. The hard part is finding other things to do, really gotta wake up and look at your life.

I didn't make it to 90. But I'm absolutely certain I'm not addicted anymore. I just started to focus on my life more and what I want out of it. That was more fulfilling than gaming in the end and it took less effort than focusing solely on stopping/quitting/'its an addiction'. Gaming doesn't really entertain me anymore, I have better things to do now. I'd estimate I play about once a month now compared to before where it was like 12 hrs everyday.

PeterGrip and FellatiousD like this.
  4. Duhe

Duhe New Fapstronaut

What I think, the point should not be to quit gaming entirely. I had played game too much in my university life, too many games on phone with Apknite, on PC with Steam. I decided to quit. But I've found the same thing with the internet. Quitting games was easy for me, but I just use the internet more instead and do a little bit more productive stuff. And I realized that gaming is basically a healthy activity. If moderated, of course.

You could make it a part of your life without centering your life on it. View gaming as reading: an activity that you do sometimes if you want, but don't depend on it.

To do so, you must find something else to replace your gaming habit with: Spend time with family and friends, learn for school, go cycling or jogging, exercise - don't just quit playing without a replacement!

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. ItsSeal

ItsSeal Fapstronaut

I did this a couple of years ago and when I now look back, I do not miss anything. It helps if you find an activity for which you can replace the time that you were playing. If not, you maybe would get back to it because of boredom. It also helps if you remove your console out of your room, or put site blocks on gaming websites. Get a job, go outside, read books. Find something that works for you.

6. I was also addicted to the online mode of gta 5, what I did was cancel my xbox live gold membership, online video games are addictive and stressful, but they're not fun.

ItsSeal likes this.
  7. It's so toxic, but I can't stop

8. Thank you for bringing this forum to my attention. I just joined the sub and I will try to make some change similar to yours. You have my gratitude.

Deleted Account and Just Is like this.
  9. It depends. I've quit games for about 110 days now and honestly, its been good. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything, I've learned and put my time and effort into other hobbies. If gaming affects your life in a negative way, maybe its best to avoid it completely and be done with it.

A question I like to ask is, do you want keep playing games forever? You can game, do it casually and with friends/family. It can be a great experience but you might want to try out different games that are more artistic or have some sort of story or simply have less grinding.

As others have mentioned, online video games are the main problem. If you're playing them, you need to have a mindset where you must not care about the game itself. Play to have fun but don't get consumed by it. These online competitive games often drain hours of your day and in the end you get nothing. I used to Counter-Strike and it was hella-fun however there are a lot of toxic people on the server however there are also respectful people.

I personally want to go back into games but after my finals. Maybe in moderation but I don't know, I also have plans to do other things. My advice would be to quit cold-turkey for a 30-100 days, see how you do then game only when you want to relax after you're done being productive for the day. Do it sparingly also, don't go overboard and don't get attached to it. :) You don't lose anything from not gaming.

Good luck.

10. It was very difficult for me.

I did this:

1. Deleted all my video games from my hard drive and trashed all my video game related service accounts (xfire, steam, etc).

2. Told all my friends I was quitting video games and rejected every invitation to play.

3. Focused my energy in productive activities I valued at the time (school, mathematics, computing, computer programmig, etc).

That was all I did... it took some months to finally quit them for good but at the end it worked pretty damn well (been free of them since 2014). I'm no longer addicted to video games. They're such a waste of time for me.

I'm also getting rid of music, TV series/anime, and films. Yeah, you read that right. I already deleted all of that from all my devices. I love this kind of purism. I have devoted an immense amount of hours to these things, now I want to focus on being more active.

EDIT: I highly recommend getting into sports, I didn't do this at the time I quitted video games but it'd have helped me immensely. I chose martial arts (Taekwondo and MMA, my favorite style is Dutch kickboxing).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  11. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

You are ready to become a samurai, young padawan. Take these steps
    1. Buy the cheapest japanese ninja sword made of true pure nippon steel from china
    2. Collect gallon jugs of water
    3. Practice your glorious ninjuitsu sword strikes in your front yard on the jugs of water
    Soon you will be able to slice through concrete and steel with ease.

SuccessInRebooting likes this.
  12. [​IMG]

Read my edit, son.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    DerSchütze likes this.
  13. Flimsyfryingpan

Flimsyfryingpan Fapstronaut

I myself have started to turn away from gaming myself. A lot of it has to do with the quality and kind of games that come out and the business model of making people pay extra for all the excess bullshit.
    Other reasons being that ive been much busier as i get older (mid 30s here) and have been losing interest altogether.
    Like the other advice given here just try to find other hobbies that get you away from sitting at home and playing. Start small. Or even just reading a book (in a different area of your home).

14. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

It's easier than quitting PMO IMO. Much easier. Put your console back in the box.

Hello Friend likes this.
  15. If you’re actually addicted, then it’s the same nature as PMO since every addiction all share the same characteristics. The box would be opened eventually, no less than turning your phone back on and clicking on P.

LEPAGE likes this.
  16. Games are enjoyable for 1 or 2 hours, after that the mind loses it sharpness and you start making mistakes and things get frustrating. If and when you can recognize this happening, it's up to you to accept it and respect your own mind and shut off the console for a day. If not it's neck and headaches waiting to happen and games are going to suck anyway.

17. Why quit video games?

I grew up playing video games and one of my favorite games is GTA 5. I used to play 4-8 hours a day as a kid, me and my friends used to clown around so much on Xbox live LMAO. I don’t think video games has an effect on somebody unless they let it. I loved video games and when GTA 6 comes out, you best believe me and my friends are gonna play the shit out of it.

Video games haven’t effected me in real life, I grew up an athlete, 4.0 student, and in high school I was ranked in the country for basketball and received multiple D1 offers. So that idea that video games are for nerds and losers, is very false, I’m a 6’5, 200 pound D1 athlete that you could consider a “video game addict.”

Nowadays I might play 1-2 hours a week, just because there is no good games out right now. I bought the new COD but it’s ass. I’m just waiting for GTA 6

18. NothingMoreNothingLess

NothingMoreNothingLess Fapstronaut

I quit videogames completely and am not looking back. It's the biggest waste of time ever! You're basically fiddling around in a make-believe land, made of many tiny pixels, just so you can live a reality that is not real. The developers of the games just laugh their ass off, while many followers just purchase their games for a bunch of money. Tell me, what benefit do videogames give? Absolutely none. The only thing you get from it is a bunch of dopamine and serotonin which makes you feel more stressed and anxious after you're done playing. I quit them as soon as I turned 18 and realized how much time I have wasted on them instead of benefiting myself. I don't even have any games on my phone. I enjoy the best game, and that is real life.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  19. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

You bought the new cod? Lmao
    Pirate everything crew checking in.

DaveyCrockett likes this.
  20. The point in a video game is to experience something that’s not real, and let’s folks unwind in a simulation. It’s entertainment just like any other form people spend loads of money on, do to much of anything and there’s negative consequences. Tell me, what’s the point or benefit in golf? Entertainment is entertainment.

And as developers I’m pretty sure we don’t laugh at people, though I will say it’s their own bloody problem for spending so much time and dosh on video games in the first place, because if you let that prioritise your life the only person you can blame is yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2019