1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help, energy content of Alcoholic beverages? vs. apples? etc.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ajar, Nov 9, 2019.

Is my math's correct?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Noway

100.0%
  1. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Someone let me know if this is correct, I kind of find the bottle hard to believe, so help me out here...
    Common bottle full size of alcohol, 1.75L
    Kilojoules of Alcohol(Ethanol)/mole: 1366.6kj/mole
    So doing the math, in one 1.75 L (59oz) bottle of Vodka(80 proof = 40% alcohol)...
    there is 552g of Ethanol.
    Volume used: 1.75L
    Density= .0789 g/cm^3
    Mass: D/V
    Using this I got 1380.75g x .40(for 40% alcohol in the bottle): ~550g (+/- 2g) of Ethanol.

550.67g divided by 46.06 mole/gram of ethanol, we get 11.955 moles of Alcohol(Ethanol). Now we multiply that by the heat or kj of energy released when burning Ethanol...which is 1366.6kj/mole, times the moles of Ethanol which was 11.955, we would then get 16330.87kj. For simplicity sake, we'll multiply by 1000 into joules, so then we get 16,330,870 joules. If we convert this to kiloCalories(big C, that you see on actual products) it becomes 3903 kiloCalories. Per drink, it would equate to 134.586 kiloCalories per cup.

Soda:
    Fructose mm: 180.16 g/mol
    Glucose: 180.156 g/mol
    In Soda 65% Fructose, 35% Glucose
    In one 500mL of Coke(16.9oz), you have 56g of Sugar...
    Both same molar mass, just use one value to Calc sugar content:
    (56g of HFCS) /(180.156 g/mole)=
    .31moles of HFCS
    Heat of Combustion for Fructose: -2812 kj/Mole
    Heat of Combustion for Glucose : -2800 kj/mol
    Same Heat Of Combustion, so again just use that as single factor for overall beverage:
    868 kj = 207 kCalories/ bottle

An apple has ~19g of Sugar, in multiple forms, but we will use Sucrose for example,
    Sucrose has a molar mass of 342.2965 moles/g. So when we convert it to moles, we get .0555moles of Sucrose in one Apple. Now multiple that number by the heat of combustion, in order to get the total energy content, which for sucrose is 5465kj/mole..so...(.0555) * (.5465kj/mole) = 313kj/mole. If we want to convert that to kiloCalories, like those used on nutrition facts of actual products, it becomes 0.0748088 kiloCalories per Apple.

But I don't get the values listed per carb, fat, etc. I thought the calorimetry value was the same as the nutritive digestion value? Are the estimated values incorrect?

2. Interesting. It really surprises me how energy rich alcohol is - two shots of vodka contain more calories than half a litre of coke!

However we need to keep in mind that burning the food is not equivalent to human digestion. For example 1 mol ~ 180g of cellulose generates 400 kcal of heat when you light it on fire but if you were to eat it your digestive tract would produce exactly 0 kcal. In the case of alcohol it might be similar.

3. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

Dam, I wish I was as good at Math like you two. I suck at it. I improved a lot since high school, but I still suck.

4. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

hmmm thats a good insight. Like what other parameters could affect overall metabolism? I was also looking into the digestion of the whole molecule. Turns out 80% of alcohol is digested into Small Intestine, while 20% in Stomach. I found a paper maybe saying only 2-5% is excreted in urine, waste ,etc. Also I did find out that ethanol is digested in the liver(90%), more specifically in the mitochondrial cells of the liver. Mitochondrial Acetaldehyde is the primary enzyme, which constantly converts ethanol-acetaldehyde product into Acetyl-CoA. Acetyl-CoA is used by the Mitochondria in order to form fat. Not to mention that with such a surplus, I wouldn't be too surprised if it gets used in the TCA cycle, and further undergoes ETC, producing a huge surplus of free radicals. This would mean that the entire molecule of Ethanol, which is seen in combustion would be oxidized, with both the same end product CO2. I also think it would be interesting to point out that anytime you have an extreme energy surplus in the system, or extreme levels of metabolism, you have a higher level of free radical oxygen species. What tends to happen is Necrosis/Apoptosis of cells due to free radical overload. In my perspective I can definitely link this to atherosclerosis(cardiovascular disease), diabetes( Type II ), even Cancer. Because if we think about it, what is the purpose of inflammation? Its to recruit the immune system in order to clear disease, or debris, no? or to clear some form of cellular damage, or intrusion? So therefore inflammation, must not be the cause, rather its just an immune system response, thats why you can't treat osteoporosis with glucosteroids.

Feedback, and arguments are welcomed, id love to explain if I wasn't clear