1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Shy, but "not shy"

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SorryWontSayIt, Nov 19, 2019.

1. SorryWontSayIt

SorryWontSayIt Fapstronaut

Hi!

Was wondering if someone are going trough some of the same problem/or have gone trough it before. So I am currently in a class with a lot of great people, who are really supportive and nice to eachother, with an open mind that everyone should be happy.

Still, I really struggel to talk in groups that are bigger then 5 people or more. It is okey to talk one to one, or in smaller groups with every singel on of them - but all the sudden when the number have changed, and the bigger it gets, I get some shy version of me. I don't really feel scared, but my voice changes, without me really feeling nervous. It gets lower with and different, not really weird, but it sounds like I am more nervouse then I am. I don't really understand why my voice can't be normal, if I am not scared of anything, or that I start to mix the words when the group get bigger.

Is there anyone that have gone trough the same?

Normally when having a presentation infront of the whole class, I use to write my thougths down. I start with "What is the worst that can happen", and I see that there is not really any good reasons to be scared. But when having a presentation I have practiced a lot what I am going to say before too. So in just a normal class situation, where I want to raise my hand, to answer a question, I really struggel.

Deforio11 likes this.
  2. Deforio11

Deforio11 Fapstronaut

you must feel it because at some point in your life you must have had some bad experience while participating in some group conversation

3. Just Is

Just Is Fapstronaut

I'm kinda the same. I don't enjoy big groups of people and would rather only have 2 or less ppl there. You can always move away and create a different conversation kinda in the same circle though. I do well at presentations alone, but i'm horrible at any kind of group work (Something I want to improve on in the future).

I've always preferred having a small but close group of friends, rather than plenty of friends I hardly know. If I were to be critical of myself on it tho, i'd say I just prefer to have more control in the environment. It probably relates to my own trauma tho.

4. SorryWontSayIt

SorryWontSayIt Fapstronaut

Yeah, I am pretty sure it is, even tho I don't know what exact point it changed. I am pretty sure it happened when I was very young maybe in the age of 10-14. That is when it started I think. But I at the same time, when I think back, it does not affect me today, but I guess it just have become a "normal" to me. So want to try change that :)

Yeah, sometimes I can be very open, if it is a group of friends. Does not really matter how big the group is, as long as the group is close. At the same time, at school, I don't feel that I should be nervouse for any reason since my class is really nice and supportive to eachother. So I try to force myself to talk more, just hate that my voice gets "nervouse" even tho I feel very normal.

Deforio11 likes this.