1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Who am I?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Stitch 626, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Stitch 626

Stitch 626 Fapstronaut

I have this very playful and silly personality. I'm always making jokes, making people smile, cheering people up, being the nice guy, and at some point, it feels great.
    The problem is that this kind of behaviour also makes people don't take some things I say seriously, or even try to get some benefit because I don't usually show an offensive side. When I get tired of this, I become much more closed, serious, even ironic, but it makes me sacrifice a great deal of the joy and laughter that make me happy.

Do you think that, to become a better person, it's part of the process choosing different paths and slowly turning into someone new, different, or it's important to stick to who we truly are and try to make this the better version, enhancing good sides and diminishing bad sides?

itz_gioc and Protagonist like this.
  2. TheLightOne

TheLightOne Fapstronaut

Ive been a clown also. It doesnt pay. Both people dont take u seriously and u dont feel confident enoufht and dont know if they like you

Stitch 626 likes this.
  3. Vilu98

Vilu98 Fapstronaut

Hello there. In my opinion, I´d take the second one. Being who you really are and working to diminish your bad sides makes you original. Maybe your bad side is trying to always be the playful and silly guy. Sometimes you have to be serious, if not, people would not take you seriously when you want it, like you are saying.

Stitch 626 likes this.
  4. Some would kill for this personality trait ;)

Seriously, it is a great gift! You make people happy and you feel happy doing it.
    But of course this is just one side of you and just one way to act.

About the "Mr. Nice Guy" behavior: I think the true problem with Mr. Nice Guy isn't that he's nice but that he chooses the easiest way. He's afraid or has no drive or ambition or something like that. Some people treat him as a push-over, others enjoy that he's easy to deal with, but don't find him interesting.
    However, interesting persons aren't necessarily better, happier or more developed people. A person that many regard as "interesting" might not even be special in any way (that's just what people think).
    Also consider this: in a movie or book a Mr. Nice Guy type is often the most boring and replacable character. Not so in real life! The truth is we need nice and simple guys because we have so many broken, corrupt, ill, mean and sad people. Also in this life just being simple and nice can be very difficult sometimes.

Back to the topic. Don't underestimate what good your behavior does! But at the same time nobody said you have to be the way you are for always and ever. If you think you should be different, be it just for the sake of trying out something new or to be unpredictable, than in gods name do it.

itz_gioc, letter and Stitch 626 like this.
  5. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

I was a clown myself, I don't know if people found me amusing but they often said stuff like "you should do stand up comedy" which I always replied negatively.

What I'm saying is, I can very much relate to what you are saying. I'm a guy who jokes around and often gets mistreated because they don't take me seriously.
    When I was on school I used to get up in the morning and the first thing I used to tell myself was "today, I will not go joking around". That is true. I had to control me joking.
    My friends used to toll me "I wish I was like you, you're always happy no matter what", but they did not know the amount of suffering I had suppressed inside of me.
    They never really realised how sad I really was.
    When I did not joke around and keep quite, they would come to ask me if anything is wrong.
    I used to come home and feel extremely empty, lying there in my bed.

Well, my point is I was something else in front of the world and something else in solitude.
    I chose solitude and right now I'm very lonely but it does not bother me, because I don't have anyone to talk to now.

Not sure if it was helpful or anything. But whatever.

Peace.

6. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

these are the same thing.

Stitch 626 likes this.
  7. itz_gioc

itz_gioc Fapstronaut

Stitch just be yourself.

I can pretty much relate a lot to your story. I also like to joke around with my friends and with my family (Ohana - means family lol). I also like to cheer people up when they are feeling down. Women find humor the most attractive. And that's one of the best traits to have in a person. Making people laugh also makes me laugh. It can be contagious :p

When people don't find it funny, then don't mind them. You can't attract everyone in this world. Since we like to make people laugh, then you can choose who you want in your circle to joke around with. Don't try to please everyone. It's better to be surrounded by people who have the same humor as you do. Don't worry about what other people think or do. Just continue to not give a crap and do what you like to do as a person.

There are times where I do feel like crap and people do see that in me. Sometimes they ask me if I'm okay. Just try to stay vigilant and busy. Then you will no longer dwell on it that much. Everybody has good days and bad days. If your having a bad day just try to be alone or talk to someone you feel comfortable with.

Don't think about what's good or bad...that's a philosophical question that is answered differently through different people and their experiences. Either way, you have more things to worry about in this world :)

Like I said just be yourself. Continue to make people laugh, be a nice guy, make people smile. and cheer them up. What goes around comes around. :)

Stitch 626 likes this.