1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Cold Showers

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Triplex VII, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Triplex VII

Triplex VII Fapstronaut

So I am wanting to begin doing cold showers. I just want the mental benefits from it honestly. Anyway, I have a question:

When you take one, how cold does the water need to actually be? Like, does the water need to be super cold, like as cold as I can get it? Or only as cold as I can tolerate, and maybe work to getting it colder?

I took one earlier for the first time. I turned the water to cold but I adjusted it so that it was simply cold and not actually feeling like it was freezing.

2. Espi1971

Espi1971 Fapstronaut

For the past several weeks I've been taking cold showers only. As cold as I can stand it, for as long as I can stand it.

I don't adjust the water temperature. If it feels really uncomfortable I'll move my head and body away from the water for a few seconds.

Triplex VII likes this.
  3. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    So long as you are in good health, go for the cold.

Last year, during the winter, I took snow baths. I could only stand it for about 2-3 minutes, but WOW.

If you want the mental benefits, that's what you've got to do. You've got to wrap your arms around the cold and say, "c'mere lovely!!" At first, it feels cold, but then it feels liberating.

recon117, Purekingsoul and Espi1971 like this.
  4. When it's really cold the aftermath is incredible

5. Jup1t3r

Jup1t3r Fapstronaut

Cold exposure can be very powerful and beneficial.

I have a cold exposure game of going outside in my boxers for 10-15 minutes. I watch the stars and plants and make it a quiet, spiritual moment for me.

6. Triplex VII

Triplex VII Fapstronaut

Same. I dont go in my boxers. But I do go out into the cold with a cup of coffee or something and just hang out gor a while and drink my beverage while I breathe in the cool air. I am addicted to the feel of cool air in my lungs. It also appears to spark creativity bursts in my mind. I write some of my better poetry while in the cool air.

7. Jup1t3r

Jup1t3r Fapstronaut

That sounds wonderful. Do you prefer to sit outside stationary, or amble around in thought?

8. Triplex VII

Triplex VII Fapstronaut

Both. Either. All depends on my mood, I suppose.

Purekingsoul likes this.
  9. NothingMoreNothingLess

NothingMoreNothingLess Fapstronaut

I have taken cold showers everyday since March 2017, except for one day where I had to sit in a warm bathtub when I pulled my groin muscle. I feel so alive these past few years and am not going to stop the cold showers because my mind feels so crisp and clear after the cold showers.

Triplex VII and Purekingsoul like this.
  10. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    It's like it does for the mind what a glass of cold water does for the thirst.

11. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Work up to it. Start with warm water for 10 seconds at the end of your shower, then cool water for 10 seconds, then cool for 20 seconds, then cool for 30 seconds, cold for 5, then cold for 20 seconds, then cool for the whole shower cold for 20 seconds and so on.

12. Nine

Nine Fapstronaut

Just go straight for the coldest. I've played around with it and honestly unless your "cold" is really just luke-warm, it's going to feel terrible those first few seconds whether it's cold or near-freezing. Then you adjust and it feels better. So it's best to just go straight to the coldest setting.

I'm personally a bigger fan of contrast showers. I don't have the best circulation in my hands and feet, especially now during winter, so I use them to improve my circulation, while also getting the benefits of cold showers.

Basically I have the water hot for ~30 seconds, then on the coldest setting for ~30 seconds, then repeat several times. When the water is hot, blood rushes down your arteries to your extremities, when the water is cold, blood rushes back up your veins towards your core to keep your core body temperature stable. So it can help with both venous and arterial circulation. It also makes you experience that "Oh fuck it's cold!" sensation every time, rather than just getting used to the cold.

13. Tiresias

Tiresias Fapstronaut

Bunch of guys in my office swear by the Wim Hoff method

https://www.wimhofmethod.com/practice-the-method

I have done the super cold shower thing, and definitely come out feeling revitalized. It focuses the mind on survival (i find) than about any other worry or distraction I might have at the moment.

14. Hank Pym

Hank Pym Fapstronaut

26.85°C
    precisely

if you want a super strong mind, then 15°C is alright.

Triplex VII likes this.
  15. Great idea! I'll do that. Also it's important to get enough sun during wintertime (if you don't want to take vitamine D supplements). So when you go out in shorts and t-shirts you can do two beneficial things at once for your body and mind.

Triplex VII likes this.