1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Plateau in Chess

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Hi guys,

So I am using the chess.com app and I like it. Yet I struggle to improve, I have been at around 1000-1030 points for basically 2 years now. (I always played on and off, but it is still wierd that I don't seem to be getting up).

I usually play 10|10 min, sometimes 5|5. Sometimes I do tactic exercises aswell.

Do you have any idea on how to break that plateau in chess?

PS: I have to add, improving in chess is not my primarily focus. I just like to play from time to time and don't want to invest crazy amounts in it. So that might obviously be a big reason on why I don't improve, yet I would still like to :)

2. If you want to play I'm down. That is, if you don't mind that I've played like 10 chess games total in my life which probably means I suck real bad.

3. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I guess you could read strategy and play longer games. Overall with anything you do the best way to break through plateaus is to mix things up and approach things from another angle. Also review your games after playing.

4. toms_feelings

toms_feelings New Fapstronaut

How many total games did you played? it looks like you don't make progress at all

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  5. Nine

Nine Fapstronaut

That's probably your issue right there. One of my favourite chess teachers on YouTube, IM John Bartholomew says one of the first things you should start doing if you're serious about improving in chess is to start playing more standard games, instead of just blitz and rapid games.

There's only so much thinking that can be done under time pressure. That doesn't mean you shouldn't play blitz or rapid at all, but they're really not the place to improve your chess, that'll mostly come from standard games or across the board games. Play blitz or rapid as an addition to longer games, rather than as your main game mode, at least until you've reached higher ratings.

Also, be consistent. I too want to improve at chess but that's the biggest mistake I've personally made, consistency. I'll play solidly every day for a month or two, and then sort of forget about chess and do other things for months. When I come back, I have to relearn a lot. If getting better is a priority for you, don't make that mistake. Play every single day, even if it's just one game, or some tactics exercises.

toms_feelings likes this.
  6. Haha lol thanks for spelling it out, yeah I made no progress at all. Roughly 1000 games. I have been inconsistent, and sometimes I was up at 1200, but fell down again.

Anyway, i think the biggest reason why I am not improving is that it doesn't really matter to me that much in the moment. So I will refrain from trying to improve and I will stop playing online.

When I find the motivation, the time and the dream to improve I will get more into it again, but for now I am taking a break.

Thanks for all your inputs, especially @Nine! If I start again I will follow your advice!