1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Accountable2you and privacy concern

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by CodeTalker, Jan 1, 2020.

1. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

I’m not talking about privacy toward your accountability partner but toward the platform owner and 3rd party.
    I just checked the privacy policy and it is concerning :

« Data collected through the Platform can include the titles of websites visited, email subjects and senders/receivers, application usage logs, file logs, geolocation information, call logs, text logs, application content and data, directory paths, and the dates and times these various events occurred. This collection will continue so long as the A2Y software is active on your computers or devices, even if your subscription has expired. »

« We will also share your personal information with trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website. We may also release your personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our Site policies, or protect our safety, property, or rights, or the safety, property, or rights of others.«

« In the future, A2Y, this Site, or the Platform could be sold or transferred. If that happens, the information we have gathered may be one of the assets transferred

this is concerning because you give your numeric life to a specific company. Said company that can be malicious, be bought by a malicious company or be hacked. this isn’t about having anything to hide. It’s about rights.

Also the whole aspect related to the law could be an issue. Some addict clearly have illegal fetish. Should they try to quit or be sent to jail ?
    I didn’t trust k9 too back then but this looks worse because it can access more data.

engelman likes this.
  2. This is actually quite concerning, as I'm sure not many people have read this. I thought I used accountability 2u, but I actually use covenant eyes and ever accountable (for my mom's tablet). I wonder how those programs manage privacy. I guess I'm lucky considering I don't really have any fetish that could be considered illegal, even if I did reset/relapse. Let me know if you find anything concerning about these programs as well:

Ever Accountable
    Covenant Eyes

I think covenant eyes is probably the main program I use. We will see.

3. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

CovenantEyes :

One difference I noted is that they can take « screen images »

but it seems better : « Covenant Eyes promises that any information collected will only be provided to you or your Allies as per this agreement«

We have the usual « anonymized, aggregated statistics of the users in the Community who have installed Covenant Eyes«

data retention : « Accountability data is kept for 30 days, after which it is permanently and irretrievably deleted from our databases.« they do keep the name forever though.

« Covenant Eyes will never share any information gathered under this contract with any third party unless requested by you,[...] or unless required to do so by a court of law«

I guess legally they have to comply with the law, but it looks less broad (here its « required by a court of law », a2y was « to comply with law ») and at least there is no third party, which is much better in my opinion.

4. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

Ever accountable :

with identifiable data :

« The websites you visit, apps you use, content you view inside apps, settings you change on the device, and other information related to the use of your device. This information is transferred via an encrypted connection and stored temporarily on our secure server. It is used only to build the reports we send to your accountability partners. »

non identifiable data :

« Information on the type of websites that Users’ visit, as well as the look, feel, and layout of those websites, without any correlation with a specific User’s activity or viewing habits. This information is used to better improve Ever Accountable’s usability, reliability, and site classification services. This information is kept indefinitely. »

There are third party : »We do not sell, trade, or rent Users’ PII to others. However, we routinely use third-party service providers to help us operate our business and the Service or administer activities on our behalf, such as sending accountability reports or survey requests. We may share your information with these third parties for those limited purposes »

You can actually see all third party with the data they share.

but they comply with grpd, which is great « Ever Accountable acknowledges the rights of their Users to access their personal data for the purpose of inspecting, correcting, updating, and deleting such data

And finally same with the law : « In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.«

so it does seem that for privacy covenant eyes > ever accountable > Accountable2you.
    But I’m no lawyer.

5. @CodeTalker - Covenant Eyes is pretty promising, as I have been using it for a year. It does take screenshots, but the screenshots are blurred out really badly that all you can really see are colors. It's impossible to try and read a screenshot or decipher any information from them. Ever accountable is only used on my mom's android tablet which she only uses for reading, so I doubt I would lose anything if a data was breached.

I guess accountable2u isn't a great system then. This should be pinned so that users who hope to use this in the future are aware of the risks.