1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Memory Loss, Depression, Unable to get out of own head

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by GripStrength, Dec 23, 2019.

1. GripStrength

GripStrength Fapstronaut

So I’m struggling really bad right now. And it’s causing me to really think about what’s going on. And see if anyone has some tips to fix this. Well I’m late 20s and finally got my first gf and fell in love and now it’s gone. So I have uncontrollable sadness. She was THE only thing giving me hope and was causing me to change my life for the better. Now I’m just lost again. I was depressed before because I was lonely and thought I’d be alone forever, now I’m extremely sad and depressed. And I’m trying to remember good times or anything from previous years and the memories are almost all gone. And it scares me. So I’m thinking of why I have a hard time remembering and I think it is my chronic depression for years. As well as I can’t get out of my head and live in the moment at all. I really need help trying to fix this depression and living in the moment or I’ll never be able to get on the right track especially with my utter lack of hope. If can’t break this I’m seriously contemplating life. I just need some advice on what to do really bad.

2. Wayne Kest

Wayne Kest Fapstronaut

Tbh, this is gonna sound redundant, but meditation works wonders when it comes to all of these symptoms. Also, certain supplements(basically biohacking) like fish oil, vitamin D3(+K2 as a bonus), zinc(picolate) and ashwagandha helps immensely alongside meditation. Exercising daily could shortcut all of those, though. Don't forget to do whatever to change your mindset on hope and change, because no one's truly gonna be with you until the end but you. Loneliness isn't that bad. Yes, it hurts to go through this alone, but you can make it through this. Life is short anyway, so don't get caught up contemplating on making it shorter than it already is. Sometimes, relationships get in the way of individual growth, so it's not a curse. Take it as a good thing.

3. GripStrength

GripStrength Fapstronaut

Thanks, and I have been taking ashwagandha, zinc, and a few others for awhile. Doesn’t seem to help. But exercise is coming

4. skibum71

skibum71 Fapstronaut

GripStrength likes this.
  5. Asjf

Asjf Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I think there is some great advice here however I would NEVER EVER recommend Ashwaghanda to anyone practicing NOFAP as there is much evidence (and my own anecdotal experience) that this plant acts as a powerful aphrodisiac for many users. I had to STOP taking Ashwaghanda when I started my NOFAP reboot as it just added far too much fuel to the fires of lust inside of me. It’s a shame because it CAN be a powerful antidepressant.

I find Paul Stamets’ line of mushroom supplements also to be a powerful anti anxiety/anti depression combo. The company is called Host Defense and the Stamets 7 supplement has all the best mushrooms in it at very moderate doses.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    GripStrength and Kiz Whalifa like this.
  6. Get outside of yourself my man. Go do something to help someone or just talk to a stranger

GripStrength likes this.
  7. Wayne Kest

Wayne Kest Fapstronaut

Yeah, it was quite difficult to get used to Ashwaghanda the first few days, sadly.

Asjf likes this.
  8. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Don't rely on external things for happiness. You attached your happiness to your gf. To get out of this depression, do activities that you enjoy, or at least used to enjoy. By activities I don't mean watching a movie or a show you like, or taking a nice bath, I mean doing something that requires participation, like going to the gym, reading, going for a walk, talking to people.

GripStrength likes this.
  9. GripStrength

GripStrength Fapstronaut

Thanks everyone. And I’m trying. I really am. To do things I used to like. To make songs, to draw. To try to socialize. Some days like today though. I literally did not get out of bed, and it felt... fine. The second I got up after lying there for 8-9 hours awake I had horrible anxiety and depression. I also just realized today. That people don’t like me. I guess I’m too sad in general, or quiet. But people don’t like my bland personality. Not sure how I can fix that though, so made my depression even worse. I’m still on the hunt for volunteer opportunities, as I found the only thing that made me feel happy at all, was helping someone, or making niece really joyful one time. I can’t seem to generate happiness from myself for myself. And the fact no one likes my personality is getting to me. I got drunk on New Years and apparently started being a dick to someone, and also beat someone up a little but stopped and made up and we both agreed we were being dumb and he was encouraging me to come to his boxing gym, saying I’d knock people out, but I’m not into that kind of thing. Maybe though, could be a good physical outlet and social builder. Definitely going off the deep end as I’ve never been the type to want to hurt anyone or want to be a dick. I really just want to help people and make people happy. I love that feeling. But my sadness is too obvious, and I have a hard time making people happy. And it makes me even more depressed. Just seems like a crazy cycle.

10. GripStrength

GripStrength Fapstronaut

And people keep saying. Focus on me and what makes me happy just for me. But the only thing that makes me happy (just for me), is making someone else happy. And it’s hard to do with my personality being so sad and quiet. I’ve been going on depression chats and letting people talk to me that no one else listens to. That helps a bit, but I know I’m not actually helping them. Just giving them temporary relief. Anyways thanks for the advice. I agree with it all. And hopefully finding a charity to work for will help.

11. requiem4thyme

requiem4thyme Fapstronaut

Hey man, sorry for your difficult trials. I've been there myself. One thing that helped me was taking a vitamin B complex. My vitamin B was really low and it helped my mood... Obviously see a doctor to see before taking anything.

Another thing that seriously helped me after a break up was not drinking to drown my pain and doing volunteer work to help people. And make sure be you always talk to friends about what your going through and try to see the positive.

Let us know your progress here! Wishing you the best!!!

GripStrength and Asjf like this.