1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do i become a better friend?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by goodnice 2.0, Dec 22, 2019.

1. I need to be better about reaching out to friends. I also need to be better at socializing. A lot of times i just stand there awkwardly not knowing what to talk about, although my social skills are way improved since starting nofap, they still need a lot of work. It’s like anything though, it takes practice right?

Also i tend to always shy away from actual conversations with friends and preferring to do some activity together like sports, games, etc so that the focus is on that rather than connecting. I’m sure some guys struggle with this as well. But is this tru friendship? This just doing things together? No, i don’t think so. I think it’s necessary to really get to know them, to have deeper talks, ask them about their hopes, dreams, struggles etc

Does anyone have any advice or any books or videos on how to be a better friend?

I need to finish “how to win friends and influence people”

dogeatdog likes this.
  2. arodriguez

arodriguez Fapstronaut

I think with you saying that is of how you didn't find out who you actually are, none of these books or videos will do any good for you. It's you accepting yourself for who you are, and then you should seek out like-minded people with who you can relate.

dogeatdog likes this.
  3. ohboy..

ohboy.. Fapstronaut

Hey thinking about to how to start a conversation with stranger. .
    Say No to overthinking
    ==================
    Overthinking just makes you more anxious:oops::(. So go there and BREAK THE ICE before it becomes a Big mountain.
    BE THE FIRST ONE TO BREAK THIS ICE( i mean to start a conversation) - SAY HI, ask about there day, introduce yourself.
    "You are capable of starting a good conversation with anyone.Every Strong relationship starts with some awkward conversation "

4. i know who i am now, but it’s hard to find like minded people. Or rather, maybe they are out there but i haven’t gotten to know them enough to know that we’re like minded

5. Good points. I would also like to add that when after you first meet someone, if you continue to see them here and then in the coming days, then say hi! Oftentimes i’m guilty of for whatever reason pretending i don’t see or know them. A friendly hello whenever i see them will eventually establish some comfort and identification of oneself as a friend rather than just a stranger

6. SuperPowers

SuperPowers Fapstronaut

By knowing you are enough. Right now you are on the wrong vibration, you are thinking lack, you have 100 times more to offer by listening. Don't think you need to constantly saying something because then you start talking shit. I think it was Plato that said a wise man speaks when he has something to say, a fool speaks just to say something.

goodnice 2.0 likes this.
  7. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

This is good advice. Start conversations with everyone, but remember that sometimes people will not want to chat - and that's ok. They are busy, absorbed in their own thoughts, or whatever. Don't take it personally. It is not hard to find someone that does want to talk.

goodnice 2.0 likes this.
  8. I have become almost 5x better at socializing recently! 6 reasons:

1: nofap +1 month
    2: better self image
    3: started copying and analyzing my friend who is amazing at socializing
    4: started talking to more people, being more friendly
    5: have done some internal work, self reflection and personal growth
    6: most importantly, going with the flow (which is very hard to do when you constantly relapse, you become awkward)

dogeatdog likes this.