1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-religious Prayer

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Indurian, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Indurian

Indurian Fapstronaut

Hi,

Does anyone here have a regular prayer practice? I'm looking for a bit of of advice, from anyone, religious or non-religious, and would be greatful for any input. I've given a little background as follows...

Prayer is not something that I grew up with, but I can see the potential benefits. I am particularly drawn to the following quote by Mother Teresa (my imited experience has lead me to the same conclusion) :

“I used to pray that God would feed the hungry, or do this or that, but now I pray that he will guide me to do whatever I'm supposed to do, what I can do. ... I used to believe that prayer changes things, but now I know that prayer changes us and we change things.”

I've practiced a fair amount of meditation over the past 5-6 years and this has given me both an understanding of how my mind works, while also honing my concentration. As a consequence I no longer get lost in thought for long periods of time. These meditation sessions, over time, evolved into a witnessing of my thought processes, which were / are almost always negative in content!

When I now sit down with the intention of thinking positive thoughts about a person / praying for them, I am met with a wall of negative energy / thoughts. I watch the negative thoughts produced about the person with impartiality but it is like wading through treacle. It's also difficult to generate positive thoughts about the person while this negative energy is in place. Does anyone else have similar experience along these lines? Is it just a case of persevering?

Thanks for any advice

Beatus likes this.
  2. SuperPowers

SuperPowers Fapstronaut

You wanna make wishes? Keep dreaming, it doesn't work like that, just pray to God and talk to God if you need to, and yeah i guess ask for help. There's no method, just put your hands together, even interlace them, and if you get tired, you don't even have to put your hands together, God is love, there should be no fear whatsover or you are worshiping a fake God, like a religious God, which is a fiction.

3. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

Prayers are the core of my existence .i wouldn't be the same man without prayers.
    I am non religious .
    I believe in God.
    I keep repeating the same prayer over and over and for months on end.
    I don't involve anyone in my prayers. It is not my job unless they ask me to.
    What you think is good for someone is detrimental to them and / or their progress.
    Connect with god / the universal intelligence and ask direct questions . U will get the answer - only 100% of the time.