1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Burn-out

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BertrandR, Jan 9, 2020.

1. BertrandR

BertrandR Fapstronaut

Someone had/have it? what it's your experience?

Hi everyone, I would like to talk about this condition, the burn-out, which is increasing among people.

I had it, during my third year of bachelor, and because of this, I did nothing in that year, I came back home (studied far from home), and I stayed for something like 8 month. Then, I begin doing exams again, slowly, and in another year I got graduated.

if I understood well, it is something that comes when people is highly stressed, maybe depressed, when people just work, or do something all the time. It comes, I think, when the mind says stop to what you are doing, when the mind reject it, it is full of it, when all the stress you have collected explode and reflects on the body. I had it because of university. From the first moment university for me was like a war, I enjoyed it, but my mind got really stressed I think, I had to think to money, scholarships, credits, marks, to the masters etc., and I think accumulated stress knocked me down in a moment. When it got me, I was studying something like 12 hours a day. I started at 9 a.m., got a pause from 13 to 15 p.m., then studied from 15 p.m. to 19/20 p.m. depending on the day, then dinner, and again studied from 21 p.m. to 23 p.m. at the end of the day I had a tea, and then bed. this just for some excellent marks. I did it for some months, and then I exploded.

What I felt:

- total rejection of my field of study
    - can't read books
    - cant't stand (at the beginning)
    - lost my pleasure for food
    - lost even my hunger
    - lost some Kg
    - I felt exhaust, even just walking. even just talking. sport was impossible.
    - when in front of something about my field of study I had to spew
    - some times I got sensation like to faint
    - can't talk with people, just talking was too much impegnative for me, too much tiring
    (got to pew even when talking with people)

and lot's of thing I don't remember I think.

anyway, it passed, it took a lot, but it passed. But from that moment, I think I learned what my limits are, and I learned that it is impossible to sacrifice some times of your life just doing only one thing to achieve great results. It doesn't work like that, mind needs to break, needs to vary, doesn't need just obligation and tasks, but something enjoyable, people for instance, or something not demanding. the mind is a great thing, is a monstrous instrument we have, but like life, it is fragile, and needs to be taken care of.
    Happiness is important.

(about my limits, yes I understood them, but my goals are always the same, I just got a more conscious way to reach them ;-))

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Frenchrev1.5 likes this.
  2. Frenchrev1.5

Frenchrev1.5 Fapstronaut

I just experienced exactly the same thing as you, tried a study marathon for about a month, working from 10 up to 15 hours a day ( I'm not confident they are all efficient though), with absolutely no social interaction at all. At the end my mind couldn't stand it anymore, plus the image of me mess up the whole exam session after all the hard work becoming real. It got me panic attack. I literally rejected any piece of knowledge I tried to take in, just like food poisoning. Stuck in bed for days, feeling burning in the chest and hard to breath, and insomnia at night. Burn out happens when we are too confident about our body's limitation I guess.

BertrandR likes this.
  3. Dave G 123

Dave G 123 Fapstronaut