1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it natural for your best friend to ditch you if they get a girlfriend or get married?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by skaterdrew, Jan 6, 2020.

1. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

So I had a best friend who was my best friend from childhood all the way in to my mid twenties roughly.

We used to hang out all the time for years and he got in contact with me all the time for years.

But nearly 7 years ago he started seeing someone, and for about 6 months he seen her a few times a week but still hung out with me a lot to. But then after 6 months something happened where he basically was with her 24/7 and he basically stopped contacting me all together.

So it went on like this for a while. But then eventually he did get in contact with me now and again, maybe once a month or once every two months. But then after a few years in to my friends relationship they sort of went through a bad patch and had a break, and guess what happened? My friend began contacting me nearly everyday, and we started hanging out all the time again.

But then after like a month or so him and his girlfriend got back together and it went back to that way I seen my friend once a month or once every two months.

But just over the years I began seeing my friend less and less.

My friend actually got married just over a year ago, I was at the wedding. But then the following month I seen my friend once again, and that is the last time I have seen him, roughly about a year ago, and I have only heard from him a handful of times through texts. He just never replies to me, and has been like that for a long time, so naturally for a long time I haven't text him or got in contact with him.

The most thing that really annoys me is say his wife left him or something, or they went through a bad patch. I'm not keen on being contacted constantly when this happens. I honestly see it as a form of using me in a way.

See another thing I want to say, is see sometimes when someone really close to you ends up in a relationship, it can actually completely change your life for the worse.

I remember seeing this thing on tv one time where this mother and daughter were like the best of friends, they were very close and always spent a lot of time together. But what happened is the daughters boyfriend wanted to move to the other side of the country, this was in the UK, so your talking like at least an 8 hour drive. This would be completely different to seeing someone everyday. So naturally the mother was very upset and didn't want them to move there. But it seemed like the mother was almost made out to be a bad person.

That mothers life was going to be completely changed, naturally she was going to be upset. Was she supposed to get the balloons out and be really happy for her daughter? Or is she naturally going to be upset her life is going to completely change for the worse?

The reason I am making this example is if someone very close to you who you see all the time ends up in a relationship and this changes your life for the worse, going from being very close to someone to never seeing them, then naturally your not going to be happy?

I think another way I look at it is how much did your close friendship actually matter when your friend gets in a relationship and does this?

I have a family member who was best friends with someone since they were like toddlers. But a few years ago what happened is it turned out my family members girlfriend and my family members friends girlfriend didn't like each other and had a big argument. Then they both took their own girlfriends side.

So now they haven't spoke in years. It's just crazy how getting in a relationship can truly spilt up life long friendships.

But again lets say my family members girlfriend spilt up with him, or my family members friends girlfriend split up with him, I have to say I am not keen on the idea of them deciding they are going to start contacting their old best friend again. Because literally the impression I get from that is they're using them. They only want them because they no longer have their girlfriend. That is the impression I would get from that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

That’s what happens when people get married or get into a serious relationship. I’m single at 43 and basically have no friends left. They all got married and had kids. The thing is, they all have friends, but they’re all married couples with kids also. If you’re single and you want friends, you have to find other single people to hang out with because apparently couples don’t like the company of single people. But you’re right, as soon as a friend becomes single again, they suddenly need a wing man and start contacting old friends. This is why I think most relationships are just temporary until you find your partner in life. Can’t really blame them I guess.

3. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

Yeah I think your right with the couples hanging out thing. As my friend hangs around with his wives friend and her boyfriend a lot. They all hang out together.

4. ...Huh? Wait, his wife has a boyfriend? :confused:

Anyway, yeah, that's pretty normal. To me, it's better to spend time with your wife than your friend.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

I agree you should spend much more time with your wife. But I'm not keen on having no time for anyone else who is important in your life anymore because you have a girlfriend or wife.

I'm not the most keen on the 24/7 thing. Couples who want to be together basically 24/7.

6. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Same as what mothers have been told.

“Your son is your son until he has a wife, but daughters are for life.” Or something to that extent.

To be honest, I haven’t kept in touch with too many friends ever since I got married. But that could also be because I moved halfway across the world.

7. yeah, couples hang with couples and singles hang with singles, that's why there are movies about couples that have a bachelor friend and at the end of the movie he's either forgotten or in a relationship, and happily ever after... it's almost considered weird in society nowadays if you are single and you hang with couples.

It's one of life's hard truths, socially speaking.

Knighthawk likes this.
  8. Yeah that’s how I lost all my childhood friends. They’re all married and I’m pretty much the last single one left

9. turn that into your power and do your best to transform, while your friends are being drained and start slipping, you can say you dodged the bullet just like Neo

10. I'm a little different. A few years ago a friend decided to get married. Then he turned into a complete [swear word], perhaps because of the stress of the upcoming wedding and all that.

He'd always been a bit of an idiot, but this really brought out his bad side. So I went to his wedding but that was basically it. Now I've blocked his phone number and everything.

11. Kligor

Kligor Fapstronaut

I experienced same,my friend got girlfriend too,before that we spend much time together,training,drinking together,hang out,helping each other etc.Now i see him 1 time per month.In last time i m the one who call,but i don't want to call anymore.Tragedy is we know each other our half life.

Knighthawk likes this.
  12. Time, situation, money, relationships, opportunities etc. change people. That's a universal truth. (It doesn't mean that everyone is affected in the same way, some people change dramatically, others' changes are barely noticeable.)

13. After getting married and having kids, my buddy and I (and our wives are friends to) just seemed to go our separate ways. We'd stay a bit in touch, but never got together. This went on for 20 years. But we recently had a nice get together and it was great. We just came back to a point in our lives where we have the time and inclination to hang out again. In the long run, we are still good friends. So give people their space. They have entered an entirely new area of life. Respect them and stay in touch, but don't be surprised if you are not included in their plans for years. Real friends stay friends, even though they may not hang for years.

14. SoundsGoodToMe

SoundsGoodToMe Fapstronaut

Have you actually messaged him?
    My guess is he's wrapped up in married life right now. house, kids?, love, sex, money, etc. He's probably not doing it intentionally and more than likely has no idea he's doing it.

My advice would be to ask when he's free in the next few weeks (it may take that long to see when he's free from "the mrs" haha) and arrange a place to meet.

Alternatively, you could be honest and message him and say, "oi mate where you been?!"

15. Vyxen

Vyxen Fapstronaut

It's not normal, per se, but it is far from unheard of. Many people change their sphere of socialization/influence as their life circumstances change. Getting married and having a child are the two most common causes of friends, and even family members relationships change; either by becoming closer and solidifying the relationship, or by slowly drifting apart, until there are only remnants of a relationship that once was. It typically doesn't reflect on you or the other person personally (there was no betrayal or manipulation), so much as it is caused when peoples priorities shift as the dynamics of their daily life changes.

Trying to contact your friend, so long as you respect that their situation has changed, is not a bad idea. Perhaps you could invite them on a double-date, or a group gathers, so you can keep in touch. If you can respect their new time constraints, it is possible to maintain a friendship. Getting to know their new significant other is also a good way to keep in touch. Whatever you do, avoid trying to put a wedge between your friend and their love interest. It rarely works out in your favor.