1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Talk therapies and exposure therapies sometimes don't work for peoples mental health?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by skaterdrew, Jan 8, 2020.

1. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

Something I find quite frustrating is we seem to live in a world where experts will say talk therapies and exposure therapies work for everyone in improving their mental health.

I can tell you from my own experience this is incorrect. I'm not saying these type of therapies don't work for a lot of people or most people. But from my own experience I can actually tell you they didn't work for me.

The thing is I had three different therapists that I seen for a year each time through out the years. The last therapist I seen actually caused me to have the worst ruminations and obsessions I have ever had. I began ruminating about ruminating. I know some people might say these things get worse before they get better, but no they didn't get better for me as a result of the therapy, they got better for after I had finished with the therapist for a while and forgot about the things he was telling me.

I have been to voluntary work and things like that on and off for years. Forcing my self to engage in these things through the help of mental health workers. My anxiety and social anxiety never improved, in fact a lot of the time it actually got a lot worse. Bear in mind I done these things for long periods of time like almost daily for a year and tried all different things for years and years. My anxiety and social anxiety never got better, it actually got worse.

It's just quite frustrating because experts won't have that. They will basically say no these things work. Well they didn't work for me, they made me feel much worse, and I did them for long periods of time.

The only thing that every helped my mental health issues were the SSRI anti depressants. But unfortunately they also caused me severe sexual side effects. So naturally I didn't want to be on these drugs for life.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Somethingsgottachange

Somethingsgottachange Fapstronaut

I'm the opposite. I responded terribly to anti depressents, but do well with talking therapy. For me it's all about finding someone that you can share everything with, that's supportive, but also challenges you.

Everyone's different. Depression has so many elements, what works for one person, definitely doesn't work for all

3. SSRI’s made me feel sick and moody, and talk therapy actually made me worse to the point of regressing. It didn’t do anything for me and by bringing up the past all that did was make me remember things I wish I didn’t, and even then once you have this information what do you do with it? How does remembering something your brain purposely made you forget help you? Now I know what some of my problems are but instead of not quite knowing what it was, now it’s just things I try not to obsess or stress over...

The thing that personally helped me was this online CBT course I took a while back, at least that gives you actual tools to combat certain things like anxiety or what have you instead of just “talking out” your problems which doesn’t cut the mustard.

4. Therapy works assuming you are willing to let it, it’s all about how open you are and how willing you are to change, if you want something to cure your depression, anxiety, ocd, than buy ashwagandha pills by plnt, I take them and I am literally never stressed, my overthinking and legit ocd is hardly an issue for me now, my anxiety is barely there, I recommend looking into adaptogens they will change your life. I take holy basil, ashwagandha, and adaptogen by the brand plnt, seriously the best thing I ever did for my mental health besides pursuing God.

5. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I'm not a professional, but I'd assume the point would be to remember it in order to deal with it in a healthy way. The reason for this is propably rooted in the jungian concept of shadow self, which means the suppressed aspects of one's psyche. Jung's theory was that whenever a person suppresses something to the shadow self, it starts manifesting in subconscious ways possibly affecting one's life more than it would if one was aware of it.

But psychology and psychiatry are rekatively young branches of science and there's a lot of disgareenments on the theory and methods. Also since people and their experiences are different, I think it's pretty safe to say that there is no one size fits all method. Some people will be better off focusing on the present and forgetting the past, whereas others will find it impossible to solve their present issues without looking for their root causes.

6. I personally don’t agree due to the fact there’s a very clear reason why your brain suppresses and buries traumatic events, maybe it helps some people but for a lot it does more damage. When you dredge up the past all it mainly does is reveal old scars and wounds, just because you’re now aware of something doesn’t mean it’ll magically make it better or the pain will disappear. There are certainly things I wish I never found out in therapy and wish they stayed hidden, I could have dealt with the depression surrounding things in a different way (especially through CBT) but now I have to live with it and try to not let it haunt me.

There’s far better and more efficient techniques nowadays, so personally to me I think talk therapy is outdated and mainly serves as their cash cow considering how much it’s pushed (especially in combination with SSRI’s...). Quite a few of them aren’t very serious or really interested in helping you get better as they’d be out of a job right? I’m not saying all of them are crooks, but I do see the industry for what it is as a whole.

7. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

By all due respect, if your brain made just good calls when it comes to mental health, you wouldn't be needing psychological help in the first place. Humans are flawed creatures that can't always handle the life situations life throws at them on their own. While there is always a reason for our brain to choose to forget, forgetting might still not be the optimal solution.

As far as I'm concerned the modern science doesn't agree with your view. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) But if you are convinced that it's just because the professionals want to keep people coming back, I don't think there's anything I can say to change your mind, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm really sorry that you had bad experiences with talk therapy. I wish you well.

8. There’s no excuse for handing SSRI’s out like candy for literally any problem you’re having (like mild depression), even though they’re certainly not good for your brain unless you have an actual issue with serotonin or transmitters and such.

It honestly doesn’t matter to me what modern science would think of my opinions, not only have they gotten many things wrong in the past but they still continue to do so. And as I said not all therapists do it for the money but many do, because there are certainly more effective and long lasting tools than just handing out drugs and talking it out. If that works for some folks great, but there are certainly lots of folks who have been damaged by it. Those two things are pushed far too often in society and I’m tired of it.

Like, if there was a cure for cancer (which I’m sure has already been developed by now) do you think researchers would release it? Treating cancer is a multi billion industry, and whether we like it or not many things in society are done for profit at the cost of prolonging human suffering.

9. fedmom

fedmom Fapstronaut

Like I say, try the swearing method in my thread if the depression is still an issue for you. It works amazingly well for anxiety and depression.