1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anyone active here?

Balancing rebooting with studying.

1. better human

better human Fapstronaut

I want to see whether this group is active or not

Recreatio likes this.
  2. jtmedley21

jtmedley21 Fapstronaut

I have alerts from this group sent to my email, but it does seem to be rare as far as activity goes. I think it is unfortunate. The negative effects of PMO on me as a student are the primary reason I set out on the goal to quit. Personally, I have no issues regarding morality, relationships, or any other aspects of PMO (I am not denying they exist). However, I can say without a doubt that PMO is devastating regarding study habits, grades, professor interaction...essentially any aspect of student life. I can only speak for myself, as everybody has different brain chemistry, and various goals as far as student life goes (or none at all if they have finished school with no plan to go back.) For me though, school is the absolute number one priority in my life. I should add that I am in Graduate school pursuing a PhD. I have done personal experiments over the years, such as abstaining from PMO for various lengths. The major issue I have experienced is the so called ‘brain fog’ which has been discussed in other NoFap forums. Another way of putting it, which I also read somewhere (maybe NoFap as well, but I can’t remember) is that PMO destroys your ‘working memory’. This is absolutely the case for me (again, I cannot vouch for others). This is the aspect of the brain that performs calculations on the fly, and things such as that. My field is engineering, so it is a miracle that I am even still in school. I have came close to failing grades on homework, exams, and even courses all together. I believe that in each instance it is 100 percent due to PMO. For about 7 days after a PMO fallback, I experience the brain fog to an extreme. After around day 10, I get back to baseline level regarding functioning and performing my day to day academic obligations, which are many and different as a graduate student doing research on top of what a typical student in middle/high school or college undergraduate have. Then I have found that after around a month of PMO abstinence, I am performing above average (as judged by myself). I have never been able to quit for longer than a month or two. I can also give some historical context in that school was originally the reason I got into PMO. Long ago when I first began college, I found the stress almost unbearable. My main priority was simply to keep my scholarship. I began PMO much earlier around the end of middle school and beginning of high school...essentially puberty age. I think this is common, for obvious reasons. I didn’t consider it as much of an issue. I was not religious, so never objected to PMO on those grounds. I did not find high school to be very difficult, so I am not sure how much contribution PMO had to that (for better or worse). It was only in the first couple years in college that I began heavy usage of PMO as a stress reliever. To this day, I think it might have actually had a positive effect regarding that as to helping me cope with academic responsibilities. Only during the last few years did I begin to suspect that some threshold had been crossed, and now any benefit is far outweighed by the negative effects. I have not found any fix all cold turkey like approaches to help, so it is just a day to day struggle for me. It seems that college life is a particularly difficult atmosphere conducive to PMO. Where else do you find a multitude of attractive young women every single day? The triggers and resulting fallback create a vicious cycle of stress. Anyway, I know I have gone far beyond the scope of your question. More to that, I have not found much activity here, which should be a bona fide forum instead of only a group. I honestly have no idea of how or why NoFap qualifies the two. I hope this post has helped you or anybody else who may come across it.

3. I am also new here ?If this group is not active we should post some threads to bring people back to it

Recreatio and better human like this.
  4. better human

better human Fapstronaut

I agree with most of your talk

But regarding using pmo as a stress releiver, it may be true for 1st time
    But after that you overdo it having 100% negative effect

And you can't control yourself, don't convince yourself you would do it quickly and return to your business, it's impossible

Either complete recovery or not

5. better human

better human Fapstronaut

I agree with you

If anyone have a student here, invite them to post and comment here

6. jtmedley21

jtmedley21 Fapstronaut

I agree...anything we can do in order to promote this group, so we could share student strategies.

7. jtmedley21

jtmedley21 Fapstronaut

We actually have more members than any other group! So, I changed my mind and think we should just maintain the group status, instead of a forum. We just need to get some activity. Any ideas? We should look at other groups and see if they are doing anything special. Just remember that we are a group, so we get different options than the main forums. Let me know what you guys think...

better human likes this.
  8. jtmedley21

jtmedley21 Fapstronaut

I thought of some suggestions, consider changing the Dragonball pic on the main page, as well as the city landscape pic with the skyscrapers. Also, I am not sure if that Latin phrase means anything...Lorum scorum ipsit. Possibly a placeholder, in which case we should think of a phrase meaningful for this group. These are just my thoughts, but I have no moderator powers to implement any.

9. I just joined the NoFap and I'm a student as well. I would like to help get this group more active again. It's a good idea to change the pictures, at least the city logo. I will think about some ideas what to put there in the next few days.

10. jtmedley21

jtmedley21 Fapstronaut

Screenshot-2019-04-26-at-11.04.23-AM-900x589.png [​IMG] I propose something like this for the group picture.