1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn ons and turn offs with scents and smells?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by greenmtnboy, Feb 14, 2020.

1. greenmtnboy

greenmtnboy Fapstronaut

What turns you on or attracts you to women or men based on your sex? Do sexually active people smell worse? As a guy I have noticed a lot of the younger girls have problem body odors not just during their periods, but also after sex, they use vaginal deodorants etc that are major turn offs. Natural and healthy body odors are attractive to me.

2. I've never noticed attractive men naturally smelling any different than unattractive men...

Obviously hygiene is important. And certain colognes or body washes smell better than others. My husband always smells like Tide laundry detergent, and I like it. :p

greenmtnboy likes this.
  3. greenmtnboy

greenmtnboy Fapstronaut

My grandfather used to use Old Spice, I use essential oils sometimes but have to be conscious some people could be offended at work, etc., so got a mainstream cologne recently.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Yeah, I like old spice a lot as well.

My guitar teacher in high school always smelled soooo good. One day I asked him what cologne he wears, and he said Stetson. So apparently I like that.

My husband doesn't wear cologne often, but I bought him some that I really like. I can't remember what it's called at the moment, though.

5. I don't care what someone smells like as long as they are clean and take care of themselves. People with serious BO is a major turn off ... and I don't mean sexually ... just being in their very presence makes me want to escape. I'm always polite, of course, but bad hygiene isn't just bad for people around that person ... but it's a health risk.

As for scents that women wear ... I love citrusy and sweet scents (pretty much anything with the word MANGO in it from Bath & Body Works is amazing) ... but only if it's put on lightly. When someone smells like they just showered in their cologne or perfume of choice, it's overwhelming.

6. Not really a fan of perfume. I like BO because we're animals, we should like the way our mates smell. If you shower often enough I have no concern.

7. greenmtnboy

greenmtnboy Fapstronaut

The freshest, healthiest scents are natural ones; I have a farm worker friend, Sam, who has more or less lived without sex for 50 or so years; his mother was very old fashioned and he took care of her until she ended up in a nursing home. After work he smells healthy, fragrant. I have noticed the same thing with young people in general who smell fresh and healthy. They said that holy people had distinctive pleasant odors. But that is unusual as hard working people with diets that may not be great tend to take on what they consume or lack great hygiene. The Mennonites I knew in Ohio bathed maybe once a week, they are workaholics. Big families may not have access to showers or baths each day.

In the civilized cities some people shower more than once a day. In white collar jobs there is such an expectation of smelling right that having fresh everything becomes important. I have been around a lot of instinct driven alpha types who have sensitive noses like a dog and they judge things like that. It would be a shame if someone has a lot of good to offer and gets judged by personal dress or other superficial things, but that is a fact of life when we are around a lot of people.

For thousands of years hygiene was not good. Think of it when most people lived on farms or the fetid cities. In a lot of ways we have a perfect storm in our artificial tech worlds of internet access, fantasies created for entertainment and the ability to hide, clean up and sanitize everything as if it never happened. In the past everything affected you and you couldn't run away from the affects of actions usually.

8. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

<-Farmer

It's a pain in the ass to shower every time I'd need to head into town when coming from the barn. Typically I make a judgement call on where I'm going as to whether or not to shower. Food comes from somewhere, people can learn to appreciate any such smell.

greenmtnboy likes this.