1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Those who are doing NoFap + Cold Showers

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by TheSickBoy, Jan 14, 2020.

1. TheSickBoy

TheSickBoy Fapstronaut

What differences have you seen between how you were before doing cold showers and how you are (after starting cold showers) now?
    I used to do cold shower but since it's winter time in India and for some reason in the North-East it's weirdly colder than how it used to be before, I temporarily stopped taking cs. I shower regularly using water which is between warm and hot. I have read that hot baths reduce sperm quality and - although there might not be any relationship between the two - I have noticed that I don't feel the exact same confidence and sexuality I had while doing cold showers.
    I'm curious, does hot showers reduce testosterone levels? Does it damage the sperm quality? On the other hand, does cold showers increase testosterone and enhance fertility?
    I'm interested in knowing your personal experience on the subject matter. Would be great if you can provide links or scientific evidences to back up your answer.

Espi1971 likes this.
  2. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I have been on hard-mode for almost two full years at this point and although I was showering in cold water partially at the beginning of it (for no more than 30 seconds or so), it wasn't until last year I started to do it seriously (for at least two minutes or more) and the differences are quite significant.
    The former partial cold-showers didn't give me the same energy boost, alertness and physical benefits (such as increased circulation, better skin and less sensitivity to cold weather) as the regular ones I do on a daily basis nowadays and believe me, cold-showers get challenging during the winter months in the Nordic countries as both outside and ground-water temps drop.

The water-temp of my showering-water right now is not more than 4-5 degrees (Celsius) and although it feels terribly cold while doing it, the great and alert feeling you have afterwards is hard to describe. I don't know what the temp of your shower-water is now (Northeastern India sounds like a warm place to me) but the colder, the more beneficial will it be. I think this article, written at one of the best websites for men who strive for becoming better men can answer some of your questions regarding cold-showers/baths and fertility:

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/cold-shower-benefits/

AfricanSunset and TheSickBoy like this.
  3. I do cold shovers every day last half a year. I havent noticed anything. Its just a very pleasant experience to me and I feel its healthy. Plus I have not been ill yet. Cant imagine my morning without very hot and than maximum cold shower.

In fact, I cant imagine any shower without cold ending. If I have a shower during a morning and than lets say after workout, it always ends with as cold as possible.

To be more specific, cold shower means Id say at least few minutes. And its so cold the shower tube turns hard. Agreed its more difficult during winter. Thats why u start during summer and you never end and just go on. Its just in the head anyway...

4. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

5. Dim Meadow

Dim Meadow Fapstronaut

Honestly this one has been a weird one for me. Cold showers make me alert but after the first 30 minutes or hour, I get really tired.

If I were to compare tiredness in the mornings I'd have to say I'm better off starting at 10% energy and slowly waking up throughout the day -hard and annoying as that may be- than getting a jolt of being woken by the cold to 40% - 60% energy up but then returning to being even more tired for longer (down to 30% form most of the day). The percentages are just to illustrate my point.

Maybe I have not been doing it right, or for long enough. Anyone have any thoughts on this or could just be an anomaly? :D

6. It's -20 Celcius here and I have been taking cold shower for about a week or so and the most annoying side effect I got is dried skin. Damn it's itching everywhere. Got to go to sauna to soften my skin and it worked. Now I go to sauna every other day, otherwise it's impossible. Other than that, I didn't feel any energy boost or something like that, in fact it makes me sleepy after 30 minutes. Maybe it's due to winter, I don't know

AlphaGod and Espi1971 like this.
  7. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

Winter is no excuse, I have taken cold showers even when I was sick (for whoever thinks about doing it when sick, I do not want to take responsibility so I don't recommend doing it when sick).
    However, it is easier when you start from the summer and then continue to winter. In the summer is much more easier but you'll get used to it.
    Cold showers are the best for every streak, and it has benefits apart from that (makes you energized etc..)
    It makes you strong and reduces your urges dramitically (1 of the greatest things for a nofap streak). It makes you a warrior. health benefits are known you can Google it.

Deleted Account and Espi1971 like this.
  8. You are exposed to too cold for too long, I suggest . Try less time, not so cold . Last time I did like McGyver at the beginning like 30 sec or a minute. Felt nice after, felt nice the whole day .

Dim Meadow and Espi1971 like this.
  9. Espi1971

Espi1971 Fapstronaut

Full disclosure: I live in Florida.

I have taken one hot shower in the past 4 months.

I'm a big believer in cold showers. I turn the water temperature to the coldest setting and I keep my body under the water for as long as I can stand it. The emotional and physical benefits are already well echoed amongst the nofap community.

I am not convinced, or concerned, that cold showers affect sperm quality. Nor am I comvinced that they increase tesosterone.

For me, I feel equal parts relaxed, alert, calm, confident, and focused. Also, I particularly enjoy the discipline aspect. I feel like I'm doing something that most people won't.

10. Dim Meadow

Dim Meadow Fapstronaut

Thanks for the suggestion. Usually I'd stay maximum 8 mins under almost the coldest setting. I'll try 6mins warm and last 2 cold and report back when I can

Espi1971 likes this.
  11. untunedguitar

untunedguitar Fapstronaut

I've been doing warm them 1-2 minutes cold for half a year now mainly to build discipline since I wasn't doing nofap until now. Aside from a boost of energy afterwards, maybe it's too little time for noticeable benefits. I'll try staying in cold water for longer and see how it goes.

Espi1971 likes this.
  12. A cold shower is a way of increasing your mental strength and that strength can be used in your daily life .
    Cold showers are a useful aid in NoFap, if you feel you are going to relapse have a cold shower.
    Cold showers have certainly helped me in my nofap journey.

Espi1971 likes this.
  13. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

In my opinion it should be used as a daily, since a urge sometimes cannot be avoided, that's why cold showers should be a daily.
    It also has physical benefits, not only mental. However it is recommended to use a moisturizer cuz it causes dryness (in winter atleast).

Espi1971 likes this.
  14. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

You can also use a moisturizer that's what I do.

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

The best moisturizers/body lotions out there are mostly those named "body-milk" and "body butter". They are usually sold in special stores specializing in skin-care and cosmetic like products and although they are more expensive than the regular moisturizers you will find at CVS (pH-5 Eucerin and similar), they will be much gentler and nourishing for your skin. The worst things I know in this matter are mosturizers/body lotions/ hand creams that are oily, sticky, irritating my skin and hard to apply.
    I also use a facial lotion (for men) daily which moisturizes my facial skin very well and make it look even healthier and younger than it already is. Despite being almost 32 years old, I still don't have a glimpse of that knobby, soggy and pale nutrient-deficient type of skin that many men develop already in their 20's.
    Many of you might think I sound very feminine typing out what kind of moisturizers we men should use for our skin but just like reading and exercising daily, taking care of yourself includes your skin as well. It is also the small little habits like those that will rise your quality of life in the long run, make your skin (and yourself) look and feel better, plus it will save many visits to dermatologists and doctors in the future because of irritated and itching skin and skin-ruptures.

AlphaGod and Deleted Account like this.
  16. thank you Angus McGyver!

Angus McGyver likes this.