1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I try being friends with ex-girlfriend? :/

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by stickydude, May 10, 2015.

1. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

Hi there,

I am going to post probably something that have been already mentioned a bazillion times so far, just like in the title.

The thing is: I have met a girl from abroad and we've been in LDR for a while. I have left everything in my country and gave up on all the plans I've had and I moved to study in foreign country just to be closer with her. We've met before me moving, I was taking planes to see her and things were just amazing, every time I went there we were together for a longer while and we were crazy in love.

Sadly, the day I moved....she changed completely. I've been asking her to see each other and she's been ditching me that "I should settle in first". It was hard ,but I guess she had a point....so I did. After around 10 days since I moved she told me that she has lost a romantic love for me and she loves me very much, but just as a friend. It struck me completely. It was a cold winter day and I felt awful adrenaline rush, so I took the evening train there just to talk with her. It was a huge mistake, as her reaction was something I would never expect - she yelled at me and started fighting with me, while I just wanted to have a chat with her other than the phone.

We talked in the end and decided to take things slow since then, and it seemed alright, but it was pretty much just temporary. I felt like she's just avoiding me, and I was still madly in love with her, while she just saw a friend in me. I have to admit, we have had a long distance friendship for quite a while and the love came quite unexpectedly. But I just couldn't get over her. At some point I decided that I have to cut the contact with her or I will never move on, so I did. She still messaged me from time to time, but no biggie, I was very confident about myself moving on and accepting that I just can't be with her.

It was all good until she messaged me today. She says she missed me, that we can go and meet somewhere so she can give me a hug and all the nice, sweet talk. I know she wasn't with anyone in meantime...at least I want to believe so, because she's a really hearted person.
    I was stupid enough to get involved in her chat and checked her facebook and pictures and everything just got back to me. I instantly felt warm in my heart, yet started shaking and having that feeling of being sick in my stomach. I guess my confidence about being over her just suddenly dropped. But I feel like I am missing her in my life so much, she's been a great companion all the way when we were actually together.

I get these thoughts that maybe I should try being friends again, but at the same I don't know if I am ready for that. It's so hard to just ignore her and I don't know what should I do now. :/

I am 23 years old if that helps anything and I don't have any trouble interacting with women, I am not desperate though. But I love her a lot. Please give me some objective advice, I will be extremely thankful.

2. I honestly think that girl has nothing for you except a lot of suffering and pain. She treated you like nobody should treat anyone, let alone their supposed boyfriend. Probably she wanted to get together with another guy, but that didn't work, and she wants some attention, so turns to the sucker for a plan B. Who is you...in this case. Sorry.

3. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

Thanks... I guess. :/

4. I got entangled in a somewhat similar situation for 3 years. Once she wanted me, next time she didn't. Then wanted me again, then she changed her mind. And I was dancing as she was whistling. It was hell. Sure it hurts a lot, but you still spare yourself a lot of pain if you just say no. At least that is my two cents.

5. Anewnick

Anewnick Fapstronaut

I've been there. It is hell.

I know it's easier said that done but you can't chase women. You have to make them chase you.

I know I know. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that myself. But I do think it's possible.

stickydude likes this.
  6. Limeaid

Limeaid Guest

You have to chase the right women. This isn't her. Make room for someone new and loving to come into your life by getting rid of her and working on yourself. What would make you chase after a woman who has treated you so badly? What would make you want to be friends with someone who has this kind of potential for mistreating you? In the answers to these questions you will find all the answers you need to know to move on and get into a healthy respectable relationship with someone who truly cares for you.

cvicious and stickydude like this.
  7. battleready

battleready Fapstronaut

It's always like that when finally you realized you started moving on the past calls you back. Be rational does she really deserve you?! If you get back together would really forgive her for what she did without any resentment? !?

stickydude likes this.
  8. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

You guys are right.... I kept trying to explain myself that she was just confused with her emotions after I moved here, but after all I don't think that was the right way to handle it. Of course, I am a not a baby anymore and I can look after myself, but as you're mentioning - battleready - I cannot imagine getting back together and trying to build things from now on and just trust her completely as I did before she left me out there.

It's not easy, because despite it all I still feel like I care about her and my heart beats faster whenever I think about things we've had or she messages me, but I willl just continue on moving on and being happy with myself as I did so far... you are such a wonderful community and I feel like you're giving me a friendly pat on a shoulder and reasonable advice on my journey I have started with nofap... thank you so much, I just needed it, because I was out of my mind again blinded by I don't even know what....

I will stay strong by myself and carry on.

echo1 likes this.
  9. battleready

battleready Fapstronaut

We're here dude!✌☺

10. Phibz

Phibz Fapstronaut

Google Corey Wayne.

csharpie179 likes this.
  11. Verhart

Verhart Fapstronaut

Do you want to know what happend? It's really straight forward:

Dude, you killed the #1 rule of attraction: confidence. The thing to understand is that women are not attracted to who you are, but to what you do. They like, better - love, guys who do something. I don't care if that's making music, furniture or even working in corpo - as long as you're passionate about it and that's what really matters . Having a hobby, a plan for your life and sticking to it. This is the highest value you can show just by labeling your life the most important thing, which nothing else can change.

You say you left everything. So why would she desire you anymore? She knew you would give her everything in a heartbeat, cause you sacraficed your whole life plan. You become a... provider.

And here we are again. Remember what I said about rule #1? You showed her that you have more important things to do than worrying about her ass. The core of attraction I would say.

Well, take my advice: learn from this situation as this knowledge will propably save you later. Imagine that you've married her. 50% of your belongings would be hers, cause she got bored with you. Start working on yourself(lifting is the single most important thing you can do), find a thing you're passionate about and stick to it - lebel it #1. Oh, and when it comes to her, just forget about it. She showed that she has no respect to you, easy choice - radio silence.

12. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

It's not as simple for me, because to start with both me and her thought it is the only way to have a chance to be together instead of long distance crap so I could either give up on love right away or just give it a chance. There were no signs that it's going to go wrong, so it was something I expected the least.
    I do have passions and interests I never stopped doing, so I doubt that is an issue. However I did have to change my life plans and my life in general...completely, to even have a chance to find out how things go. But yeah, I guess I have put love too high on my priority list and I ended up with this.

Thanks Verhart.

13. Saber_tooth7

Saber_tooth7 Fapstronaut

From experience, i can tell you that once a girl who is that much close to you changes, there's nothing in the world that you can do to convince her anyhow to be how you want her to be. Its going to end everytime in the same way, fighting and yelling or just ignoring. You should let her go, and work on yourself. There's 6 billion people on this planet, and life's just not over yet.
    Still, if you think your relationship needs another kick, first things first; stop being desperate. Let her be the desperate one and try to win YOU back, because letting her know that you can walk away if you want is one of the biggest attraction boosters for any woman. You should do the things you did when you first attracted her, be the attractive guy, and let her do the patch up. Itll be worth it. Trust me. I am in the same boat as you.

stickydude likes this.
  14. TjoeShiFu

TjoeShiFu Fapstronaut

I agree with Phibz & Verhart. you should see Corey Wayne videos on youtube, read his free ebook about attraction and dating
    (I'm gay but I still get some valuable insights from him.)

stickydude likes this.
  15. sedgmick1

sedgmick1 Fapstronaut

Walk a way from that girl and never look back I know everyone's situation is diiferent and I actually wish it was that simple for me.......but my viewpoint no kids?.......no problem just something too keep in mind.

stickydude likes this.
  16. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

Yeah I know you're right guys. I have been listening to Corey Wayne for a while now and it makes perfect sense what he's saying there. Some really good tips, I realize now how many things I've been doing wrong and how I made myself appear weak and not attractive. I am working on getting back on track.
    Thanks for support.

17. echo1

echo1 Fapstronaut

I was kinda In a similar spot, girl I was dating told me she was also in it for the long run, and really got my hopes up that we'd be together for a while. fast forward to a few weeks later, we hadn't talked much so I asked if she still liked me. She said she was starting to like me more as a friend, and that just broke my heart man. I think the worst part is that I don't really know why she stopped liking me, it hurts like hell and I still don't know how to respond to it all. Haven't talked to her in a few days and might just keep it that way

18. MattRN

MattRN Fapstronaut

Keep strong guys. The sea is full of fish

19. Elduderino

Elduderino Fapstronaut

My opinion is that any relationship that warrants paragraphs on an online forum of strangers is a relationship not worth it.

Just my opinion.

20. Limeaid

Limeaid Guest

No you are not at fault. She was the idiot. I have nothing against Corey Wayne (never heard of him) but to say that you are flawed and need to change is the wrong mindset here.