1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you bulk or cut when you're skinny fat.

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Riot02, Feb 1, 2020.

Should you bulk or cut when you're skinny fat and trying to gain muscle.

Poll closed Mar 2, 2020.
  1. Bulk

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Cut

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Riot02

Riot02 Fapstronaut

Hey guys how are you today. I'm trying to get my life back in track and I want to get muscle mass. However I'm skinny fat and I don't know but I should cut or bulk. What do u guys think?

Coco99 and {Ananta} like this.
  2. HolyPepa

HolyPepa Fapstronaut

3. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

It's not that simple with skinny fat. It's important to lose the fat because excess fat throws your hormones out of balance towards the estrogen side, making it difficult it not impossible to put on appreciable muscle. But you can't just cut back calories because if you don't eat enough you can't make muscle either. So as much as possible you want to bulk and cut simultaneously... what some call "re-comping".

I've "re-comped" my body to its current state 6 feet, 180 lbs at ~13% bodyfat and I'm almost 54 yrs old so take the following for what it's worth, but here's the process that worked for me:

1. First, get your diet on point. Start by eliminating sugary drinks in total and reducing alcohol consumption as drastically as you can. At 200 lbs of skinny fat I was drinking a Coke for lunch every day and a couple screwdrivers and a beer almost every night. By eliminating those 2 things alone I dropped 20 lbs in 3 weeks and went 2 notches smaller on my belt. Refined sugar in general and high fructose corn syrup in particular is the devil and if you can root that out of your diet that's a huge Phase 1 win. You'll want to start paying attention to your ratio of protein, carbs and fat. A few weeks of Keto (high protein, very high fat and few or no carbs) got me down another 15 lbs, to 165. At that point people started telling me I was too skinny and pictures I saw of myself confirmed that so I reintroduced carbs in moderation back into my diet.

2. While you're revamping what you eat and drink, also start acclimating your body to burning more of those now quality calories through exercise. I started with simple bodyweight calisthenics, 5 or 6 mornings a week. I used the Canadian Air Force program that was in a booklet I got from my dad and is also posted on the Internet.

3. After a certain point (your body will tell you when), you will have improved your flexibility and core strength to where you can graduate from calisthenics to more intensive muscle building through weight lifting. A couple of regimens to check out there are Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength. Basically any program where you are using free weights and involving multiple muscle groups with each exercise should help. Skinny fat guys are often ectomorphs and if an ectomorph overtrains on weights he'll burn more muscle than he builds so the "high volume" programs are not for him. Workouts should be 60 minutes max but you should be lifting almost that whole time, i.e. never more than a couple minutes rest between sets.

4. By this point you should be seeing and feeling definite changes in your physique. Even your posture will have improved (and that, believe it or not, is really noticed by women and a strong contributing factor to your perceived attractiveness). This is when you can start experimenting with more advanced dietary variables like intermittent fasting and carb cycling, both of which have worked well for me. You should be trying to improve with every workout (whether that is lifting more weight, doing more reps at the same weight or adding another set), and staying diligent with your diet to ensure your body is getting enough quality calories to support what you're putting it through. At this point the biggest challenge very possibly could be eating enough each day. Be drinking as much water as you can stand and make it a priority to get at least 7.5 hrs of quality sleep every night.

Up to this point I really would not advise a lot of cardio. When you do introduce cardio it should be high intensity, alternating short bursts of full effort with equally short rest periods. I added sprinting to my weightlifting regimen last spring and the results were fantastic. Distance running/jogging is not what you want to do... leave that for the guys who want to be skinny. Walking is OK.

Supplements is a whole nother thing, but this post has gone on long enough. So I hope it is helpful and I wish you the best.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Mordobarn, Mirach and HegHeu like this.
  4. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Slowly bulk. As a beginner you will be able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Depends on your stats now but I would should for about 1.5 kgs a month for 3-4 months than dial it back a bit. I wouldn't do a proper cut until after a year of lifting. If you cut before then you will just be skinny.

5. HegHeu

HegHeu Fapstronaut

Two words
    Intermittent fasting

Deleted Account and dethly like this.
  6. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    im new to this game but i use the body mass calculator on bodybuilding.com my advice eat eat eat nor big meals but minium meals dont starve and work out 4 times a week, the body well naturally use your body fat as needed during cardio an work outs,personally i would prefer if i had a lot of fat while beginning the work out lifestyle ,my trainer is on my case right now cause i dont have efficient body fat or eatting enough good fats

7. AlphaWolf1776

AlphaWolf1776 Fapstronaut

Cut first.

The problem with being skinny/fat is that your hormonal balance is all messed up. Usually it is high Estrogen with low Testosterone.

Any Testosterone increase that might occur in a skinny/fat individual doesn't serve its rightful purpose since most of it gets converted right back to Estrogen because of the excess body fat.

Get rid of the body fat, then bulk accordingly.

8. Jack of Clubs

Jack of Clubs Fapstronaut

Technically: Cut with no intention of gaining muscle ie eating healthy and doing standard cardio, go for a run/walk/swim/cycle or a sport. Then when you are skinny with abs you can then start lifting.

Reality: Lifting weights is enjoyable and noob gains are real and there for the taking. Sometimes you just gotta go with what will keep you motivated and interested and if you want to build muscle then just do it.

Summary: just do whatever you can commit to and is sustainable for you. Don't overcomplicate just do.

Deleted Account and {Ananta} like this.
  9. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

Probs neither. Eat like a caveman and lift like a bodybuilder and sureley it'll work out.

10. Basilio

Basilio Fapstronaut

Its hard to say when I don't know your age, weight and height my man. Would you be able to provide those?

Any time someone say they're skinny fat, it usually means that the main part of their body that is out of proportion is their gut. Love handles, muffin top, what ever you want to call it.

Who cares if you've got that man, if anything your traps, shoulders, arms, lats, chest, and legs are what's out of proportion.

You need to build muscle, and that requires bulking and putting on a small percentage of fat. People are so scared of fat, but its necessary when you want to put on muscle.

Muscle development takes yeeeeaarrrsss to achieve, its hard as fuck, that's why most people are not defined and don't have bulging biceps, broad shoulders, and tree trunk legs. I'm talking years, and years of hypertrophy work, followed by an amazing diet.

Cutting is easier, because you don't have to work your ass off in the gym as much, its more a dietary thing. If you don't have proper muscle development, you're going to look FLAT once you cut. Basically if you want a cyclists body, then cut dude lol.

Find out your TDEE here: tdeecalculator.net/ which is basically how many calories you burn a day through normal activity. Once you find that out, you'll want to look at the bulking section which is most likely 500 + calories added on top of your TDEE. Now you know how much you should be eating a day. This is literally the most important thing when it comes to bulking, you need to EAT BIG. I mean, you'll literally be force feeding some days.

I'd say start bulking for the next 2-4 months, and once June hits, then start a cutting phase. At least by this point you'll have some muscle maturity in place.

As for the workouts, I'd recommend any type of 4-5 day split that hits each muscle group once a week. Use the squat, deadlift, bench press, over-head press and barbell row as your foundational exercises, and build isolation workouts around them.

That's it man, eat 500 + calories on top of your TDEE and train hard 4-5 days a week.

11. Fenix Rising

Fenix Rising Fapstronaut

Both if your into athletic look (or only bulking + some HIITs for max muscle mass gains)... Do 3x weightlifting sessions + 3x up to 75 minutes of aerobic exercise per week (brisk walking/running/cycling with some interval training - HIIT). Eat enough calories and around 1.5g per kg of proteins a day, stick with a plan for at least 3 months to notice body composition changes ( + lean body mass - fat ). You don't need to go to a gym for that. All you need is a barbell with some weights and you're good to go. Here is a very good full body plan: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/total-body-training-with-only-a-barbell.html With that being said, hit the gym machines and do some core strengthening exercises first if you're not used to weight lifting to prevent injuries as free weights demand you have strong core to begin with.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  12. rgm

rgm Fapstronaut

Don't listen to the people saying cut. It will just make you look less skinny fat and more skinny.
    Instead do a slow bulk or recomp with a proper diet. Then just progress your major lifts.
    Eating in a surplus will make you feel more healthy and strong in the gym and more mass makes bigger lifts easier.

A slow bulk supported by enough protein/a healthy diet and a good amount of sleep will get you the most progress in the gym.
    Skinny fat isn't because of too much fat it's because of not enough muscle, eating in a deficit will just make gym sessions harder and gains slower.
    On top of that more muscle means you need more calories so when you switch to a slight cut it's honestly way easier & you will see progress quicker since there's enough muscle below the fat.

13. Cut the fat untill you are lean
    than bulk

dont belive the IF or IFFYM crap

just eat natural unprocessed foods and take the neccesairy vitamins and minerals.