1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Books that shaped my thinking.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Di.Do.555, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

Here is the list ( not in order of importance)
    Think and grow rich. Napoleon Hill
    The brain that changes itself. Norman Doidge.
    As the man thinkith. James Allen ( my fav)
    The game of life and how to play it. Florence Scovel Shinn ( spirituality at its best )
    Spark John Ratey.

The power of the subconscious mind. Joseph Murphy. ( my second fav).

Burning star, bluemax4 and A41:14A like this.
  2. A41:14A

A41:14A Fapstronaut

Thanks mate.. I've been drawn to read (and implement) Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Di.Do.555 likes this.
  3. Pray tell what did you think of Norman Doidge's book?

4. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

A great book.
    It changed my views on the human brain.

Dexter Moran likes this.
  5. Hi Di.Do,
    thank you for answering my question. I have read 'The Woman who Changed her Brain' by Barbara Arrowsmith-Young. She references Norman Doidge several times. In actual fact he wrote the foreword to her book.
    I find the concept of neuroplasticity to be very encouraging. I have several learning disabilities. All which have contributed to my clinical depression. My inability to keep up with my peers has resulted in me being relentlessly bullied in the past. Both at school and the workplace.
    I was given extra time to complete exams. This was when I became a mature student at 35. However in the real World no such consideration is shown!

The hope of rewiring my mind is life changing! It would allow me to lead a much more productive life. Which would be a great help in overcoming PMO!

Di.Do.555 likes this.
  6. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

Desire is the key factor. Not intelligence.
    Intelligence is overrated.

Dexter Moran likes this.
  7. @Di.Do.555 Are you reading anything currently?

8. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

I am currently re-reading the 7 habits of highly effective people.
    Before i was reading a book by Guilia Anders called Gut - it is more science than personal development but I really enjoyed it.
    Before it :When the body says no - by Gabor Mate.

bluemax4 likes this.
  9. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

The Art of Worldly Wisdom by Baltasar Gracian. Highly recommend this book, and since it's in aphorisms you can read it alongside any other book. I just read 3-4 aphorisms a day, sometimes open to random ones. Really wise guy.

Dexter Moran and Di.Do.555 like this.
  10. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

I will look it up. thanks.

11. Burning star

Burning star Fapstronaut

I absolutely agree with napoleon hill this is the book which should be read by all human being.

Di.Do.555 likes this.
  12. I have read 'How to use your Enemies' by the same author. It was illuminating to say the least!

Di.Do.555 likes this.
  13. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

Just an FYI, sometimes people will take his books and make their own collection of aphorisms, like a chimera of his works. "The Art of Worldly Wisdom" was actually a book published by him, not sure if "How to Use Your Enemies" falls into the category of people selecting things they like from his older books because I almost ordered it myself and after some research it seemed like it. So if you get Art of Worldly Widsom you'll find quotes you've already read word for word. They just republish his books under different names over and over, pretty annoying.

But I'd highly recommend that one.

Di.Do.555 likes this.