1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My gym just closed because of Covid-19. Any good home workout ideas?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by madniel91, Mar 14, 2020.

1. madniel91

madniel91 Fapstronaut

My gym is closed until end of April, I know it's not an excuse to stop working out so I am looking for some ideas to do strength training at home.

I don't have a lot of equipment, just 2x 5kg dumbbell and one kettlebell.

Does anyone have a habit of training at home and can give me advice?

brilliantidiot likes this.
  2. Calistenics (plenty of sources on youtube, and let's face it: 1000 types of push-ups are fun) or download some app with home work-outs (I won't give titles; there are plenty of those).

3. I’m not an expert on these things, but I’m getting a lot of mileage at home from sit-ups/crunches/reverse crunches, pushups, and various types of planks.

madniel91 likes this.
  4. Nucleus

Nucleus Fapstronaut

Calisthenics yes. Convict Conditioning is a good book. The exercises are:
    1. Pushups
    2. Handstand push-ups
    3. Bridging
    4. Squats
    5. Leg raises.
    Push-ups can progress to single arm push-ups. Handstand push-ups are tough enough but it you are as strong as a damned bull you have single arm variations. Bridging is done for reps like push-ups and you can lean over backwards and crawl down the wall to bridge and back up... and that’s one rep. Squats become single leg and leg raises are done in slow motion hanging from a bar.

madniel91 likes this.
  5. madniel91

madniel91 Fapstronaut

Thanks for the advice dude. Will calisthenics have the same effects as lifting weights?

6. Nucleus

Nucleus Fapstronaut

Sure. Just find the level of difficulty for each exercise to give the right amount of stimulation to your muscles.

hang on I’ll link you to the first in the pushups series.

7. greenmtnboy

greenmtnboy Fapstronaut

I'd get out and hike; fresh air, strengthen the lungs, etc.. You may want to get an air purifier and ionizer as the virus stays in the air.

8. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

YouTube. Fit Father Project and AthleanX both have solid workouts you can do at home with limited equipment or even bodyweight.

9. Dynamic Tension. You can do anything. Pushups are a waste of gas. Push ups are not training. They are a skill. A show off.

fredisthebes likes this.
  10. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

This would be the time I would be laughing my ass off to all the people who didn't see it fitting to get a minimalist home gym, but I don't really get to use mine either due to my strained lower back. Oh well.

I have seen many quarantine home workout videos. Athlean X, Alan Thrall, PureBullFit... Check them out.

You might also want to use this as an opportunity to switch up your training for a while. Let's be honest here, training for maximum strength with little to no weights is suboptimal as fuck. Muscle maintenance is of course important and if you do find a way to get stronger during this, great. But if you can't find a way to keep getting stronger, why not focus on things like conditioning and general preparedness instead? Can you run well? Jump? Do pull ups and push ups? Do you have good flexibility and mobility? Maybe some body control with hatha yoga wouldn't hurt? There are so many different ways in which you propably haven't had the time to train your body due to your strength training. Don't be affraid to try something new for once.

11. Alyx87

Alyx87 Fapstronaut

Been working out with this guy's programs for over a year now. Highly recommended. I've done this workout a few times now and it's tough. Should definitely keep you in shape. All you need is a pull up bar.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  12. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

My gym also closed. Hope they’re not still charging me. I’m gonna take this time off from any strength training and just ride my bike.

13. madniel91

madniel91 Fapstronaut

Thanks for all your replies, I started doing calistenics every day and I am falling in love with it. I discovered that there is a big comunity on the internet, and that there are crazy exercises that can be done only with body weight. I am now following Chris Heria on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaBqRxHEMomgFU-AkSfodCw) and have set myself new Fitness goals for 2020:
    • Handstand Hold
    • Full Planche