1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad news for pasta lovers in the UK

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by IGY, Mar 14, 2020.

1. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Sad to say, but some people are so selfish that the supermarkets are stripped bare of certain items. Pasta, rice, tissues, toilet rolls and hand sanitizer. The better off have prevented the poorer off from obtaining these basic items. Only 20+ people have died across the UK and this panic buying is totally unnecessary and utterly selfish.

You would hope when there is a community emergency that people would pull together and look after one another. But selfishness and greed is spreading even more quickly than the coronavirus! My 89 year old mother asked me to get one box of tissues for her, but there were none there. The old and the medically vulnerable need our love and support.

Maybe some of you have some good news to share about the attitudes and actions of people in your community. I would like to think there are caring communities somewhere.

2. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Yeah, I just got back from the store and saw basically the same thing. Everything is picked over and the poor workers can’t even keep the shelves stocked because all these idiots are trying to hoard everything. I just wanted to pick up a few items to make dinner and they were all gone. Wanted to start screaming at everyone in the store.:mad:

Ghost79 likes this.
  3. I have some kindness to share. A friend of mine and his wife are realtors, and on their Facebook page today they told everyone that since they are young and healthy, they would be happy to go shop or run errands for any of the elderly or at-risk people are afraid to go out.

I thought that was really kind of them :)

But yeah, a lot of people are being buttheads these days.

kropo82 likes this.
  4. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

That is lovely. Thanks for sharing Castielle.

P.S. I had to look up realtors. Apparently, it is what we call estate agents this side of the pond, haha. :)

kropo82 and Deleted Account like this.
  5. Oh, yeah, we also call them real estate agents here. Either/or, although I think there actually may be a slight technical difference between a real estate agent and a realtor. But we usually use those terms interchangeably.

6. PIEDSufferer

PIEDSufferer Fapstronaut

I’m sorry to say that things are pretty much the same here in California. The panic-purchasing is actually sort of amusing to me. People are acting like it’s the end of the world. And I agree, it absolutely sucks that people are stripping these items away from others who really need them.

As a 32-year old, I’ve considered helping out elderly folks as well. However, since this virus can be very contagious well before symptoms show, I’m afraid of the possibility that I could carry the virus into the homes of these people, since I’m out and about. I won’t even visit my parents right now, especially because my dad has a pretty impressive list of health conditions as it is.

There are talks about “drive-through” testing sites in the coming days. Once those become available, it would be a great idea to get tested!

Espi1971 and Deleted Account like this.
  7. Idk why but when I saw this title I thought it was hilarious.

8. Penninesandcheviots

Penninesandcheviots Fapstronaut

Ive seen people panic-buying because of the panic-buying. We're like a startled herd of buffalo running towards a cliff.

Mistersofty likes this.
  9. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

i work at retail company, and i can buy thoose thing's or pile em up for myself

i can monitor where those item are, which store, heck i can buy it directly from the warehouse ... so no need to fight for hand sanitizer tho

but we didnt do all thoose thing... i dont even have my own medical mask rather i usually used my motorcycle mask that i used when ride it and i have only 1 personal hand sanitizer that i bought before 2020 ( i used public hand sanitizer for most cases),

its a bad thing to do,, only rich people can stock em yet they killed the unlucky one who need thoose item more than them....

and i always think that if the situation become chaos, then the one who stock thoose item will be the one who being killed by other

Espi1971 likes this.
  10. Despicable me

Despicable me Fapstronaut

Funny thing for me, is buying toilet paper, food I understand.
    Lets take the worst case scenario: virus mutates more and death % rises rapidly.
    Everything shuts down. You dont have anything to eat. If You dont eat, You dont go to number two.
    Only thing You can do with TP, is use it as a tissue where to sneeze when You get the virus. :)
    But I get your point, that less fortunate cant afford more expensive foods to feed themselves and their familys.

Espi1971 likes this.
  11. Man unfortunately it is human, I've seen the scene you're describing already on February, 22nd(when the virus spread in here), we got used to a good lifestyle,where everything is good, hard to say but this virus showed that we are spoilt. The country who reacted the best was China, because they're totalitarian, his president does not talk much, but when he talks, they obey, period. I mean if only 1 person had the virus in the chaos that you had the supermarket, with all the people that he would have touched, or that he would have reached with his saliva, well instead of saving yourselves, you spread it.
    I am from Italy and here the situation is pretty bad as you heard from the news, but I have a lot of good acts to tell you, because from bad periods, you can get out bitter or you can get out better.
    So, 3 days ago, hospital said that there was an emergency, lack of blood, the fear made people stop donating it, and now they didn't have it even for the basic operations.
    Well let me say proudly that in the last 3 days(keeping the distance of 1 meter :) ) like every Italian person who was able to donate blood, showed up to donate it. Instead of the queue for the supermerkat to buy, there was the queue to give.

Coffee Candy, Gmork and Espi1971 like this.
  12. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

British humour and irony. ;)

13. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Bravo Sir!

14. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

That is very thoughtful - in two ways. :) Re: your second point, perhaps the shopping can be left at the front door/porch so there is reduced risk of contamination. This is a situation where risk cannot be eliminated, but it can be reduced. Well done.

PIEDSufferer and Espi1971 like this.
  15. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Yeah, I know! o_O It is not a gastric illness! It is a respiratory tract infection. There is no need to panic buy toilet rolls! :oops:

16. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Thank you, always heartening to hear of people's generosity and selflessness.

Espi1971 and fg4795 like this.
  17. I think people are just buying more because they're worried about being quarantined. Especially if you have a large family, you could go through a lot of tp in three weeks.

Also, I guess some people are worried that everything is going to shut down soon and new deliveries won't be coming in. So they want to stock up before that happens.

18. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Yeah, I suppose so. But if everybody calms down there won't be any shortages.

Espi1971 and Deleted Account like this.
  19. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

That’s exactly what I said to the person next to me in the store. Everyone needs to chill out because they’re throwing everything out of balance creating a giant ripple effect. I guess we can blame the good old media for this madness.

Ghost79 likes this.
  20. ItsSeal

ItsSeal Fapstronaut

You can expect this behaviour in any country, it is a normal survival instinct in the human body to prepare themself for what is coming.