1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Drinking more than a gallon of water dangerous?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Marvelgurl23, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Marvelgurl23

Marvelgurl23 Fapstronaut

Do you guys think it is? I have been trying to hydrate myself as much as possible but there are sources that state too much water can deplete someone of sodium/potassium levels and some daily water intake can come from the water content in food. Unless I work out a lot in one day or move a lot I can manage more than a gallon. Most of the time more feels unnatural, but I just don't like feeling dehydrated. What's your take?

Espi1971 likes this.
  2. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Chances are you don't even need that much of water. I'd imagine only serious athletes and people living in extremely dehydrating conditions would really need gallon a day. At worst drinking too much water can lead to death. (Although I'd recall the amount of water you need to drink for that to happen is pretty absurd.) When it comes to your sodium and potassium levels, I think that's something you'd be better of asking from a doctor. And yes, approximately 20% of the water you need comes from your food.

Espi1971 likes this.
  3. Penninesandcheviots

Penninesandcheviots Fapstronaut

Everything in moderation, from my understanding it can flush electrolytes out your system which fucks with the function of your brain which can be fatal. I doubt you'd need to drink as much as 1 gallon a day, that seems excessive.

Espi1971 likes this.
  4. I don't think it is as I'd imagine you'd urinate it out or throw up before you intaked enough for it to be dangerous. However, I'm not a medical expert so I could be wrong. I usually drink 8 glasses of water a day, I think most people don't get enough.

Espi1971 and Toni7 like this.
  5. I do sports for the last 18 years, I am 23. I have rarely drunk a whole gallon in my life. 1,5- 2 liters is my thing + soups and high water veggies 70% plus for example. I often feel that described feeling of stripping of sodium and potassium with dizziness when I overdo. I been researching on these and my conclusion is the following.

You got to drink and eat such quantity of water that you pee at around every 3 hours not shorter . 2 and a halve try. With a carrot like urine or a little more clearer. If your urine is fully clear it is a sign you overdo it for sure. If you go to often, it's a sign you do too much .

And yes, it is dangerous. Why? Your system works overtime and this water is peed not hydrating you. Smaller sips through the day. + Water from foods hydrates better than water. It is better to eat a cucumber than to drink a glass of water, as far as hydratation goals. I am really telling the truth, that doesn't mean you should not question it, or disagree. I am open for questions .

Espi1971 likes this.
  6. Where did you learn this, what's the evidence? Or is it just a theory?

7. Which one there are a lot of statements ?

8. Drinking too much or too little water are both not ideal things. Why would you listen to a blanket statement like this?

Take example of three people named X, Y and Z. X is a muscular gymnast who weighs 78 kilograms, Y is a businessman who only weighs 54 kg at a height of 5'4" and Z is a female college student who weighs 62 kg and is slightly obese for her height.

Now do all these three people need equal amount of water (that is 1 gallon everyday)?

No! They all need different amounts of hydration everyday.

I hope my answer helps you understand the point I am making. And that is, don't go by universal blanket statements when it comes to different human beings.

Leader of ME likes this.
  9. Your point is valid. And the statement I am active sports guy and a gallon of water is too much for me, says it all. I weight 85 kg, my workouts are intensive for 1 hour 3x per week and sometimes I play table tennis intensively for like 3 hours in a row, or basketball for 5 hours in a row and yet a gallon of water is too much .

I heard Tom Brady is drinking more than 20 glasses of water a day and his diets consists of veggies full of water. He works out like 2 times a day.. And yet... probably Muhammed Farah runs couple of marathons with that water intake .

10. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

Do you mean drinking a gallon of water at 1 time or throughout the day?
    Normal fluid (not just water) intake in a day is 2-3 liters, and it depends on your height and weight. A smaller person will be closer to 2, a large person closer to 3. And if the weather is hot then the requirement will increase a little bit. Also with exercise.

11. If memory serves, about 2.2 liter is the average requirement for people per day. I read this somewhere. I work in healthcare. Here’s the deal: more exercise means more sweating and insensible loss from breathing. I like the idea of peeing every three hours with adequate intake. What worries me more is people who drink distilled water. This causes swelling of cells in your body, including the brain. It’s also silly. It is true that the water is excreted by “following” salt/other solutes out of the kidney. Too much salt and the kidneys can remove water fast enough. Too little and other electrolytes are used to “pull out” the water. Does that help?

12. I try to drink 2-3 litres everyday.

13. Brain-Police likes this.
  14. Leont

Leont New Fapstronaut

I think drinking a gallon of water a day is really a lot. The kidneys will most likely not be able to handle so much fluid, and the body will swell. In addition, a lot of water can interfere with the absorption of nutrients that come with food.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  15. @rm0uR

@rm0uR Fapstronaut

Firstly I don't know how the hell you drink that much.