1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with isolation and keeping a daily routine in times of coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by magic05, Mar 23, 2020.

1. magic05

magic05 Fapstronaut

The government in my country has set up some drastic measures to fight coronavirus and it destroyed all my previous efforts to battle my addictions (PMO, alcohol, depression) ever since.

It is only allowed to leave the house for work, go for a short walk alone or buy groceries.

My daily routine is gone since then. My working place shut down, I can't meet friends or family, I can't do my sports routine (gyms and pools are closed). I'm completely isolated and on my own. Phone/video calls help a little, but it's not the same.

I had a few improvements since I started nofap in January, but one key element was to stay outside of my apartment as much as possible and meet other people in order to not relapse and naturally this isn't possible now anymore.

I thought I will use the time wisely and write job applications and read/listen to as many books and podcasts as possible. I tried to stick to some kind of routine (spend the afternoon with books, podcasts and walks in nature), but once it gets dark in the early evening and the loneliness sets in, I start bingeing on PMO, social media, news and alcohol and can't fall asleep until 6 in the morning. I get up in the afternoon and feel totally drained. Sometimes I already feel like I'm close to getting a nervous breakdown.

I reckon I'm not the only one who feels this way. How do you deal with all this isolation and huge temptation to relapse? What is your coping strategy? Can you recommend me some certain guided meditation techniques that are easy to follow and implement once the urges/loneliness become unbearable?

FHDH, Gorgewalker and amaranth like this.
  2. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

Turn off the damn computer, unplug it and stick it in the closet, same with your phone. I don't know if you have a TV just watch that, when you aren't exercising just watch that, or read a book.
    It sucks, there isn't really anything that will make it a whole lot better, all you can do is endure the best you can. Perhaps you should ditch the alcohol also.

3. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

You have to scrap all your old routines, and write/develop new ones for this situation.

one thing to bear in mind before you start though is that you are certainly anxious, even if not consciously, of the situation we are in. Your new routine should focus on your mental health - staying in all day and not seeing anyone for long periods, as well as uncertainty about the future, WILL take a toll on your mental health. You need to counteract this somehow - structure your day so that any video/phone calls are at a time beneficial to you, as well as using your permitted short walk per day wisely. Meditation can help, workout routines on youtube to help you keep in shape. Eat healthily and give yourself some food you enjoy too - be kind to yourself, remember it's a tough time. 'Reward' yourself for spending an hour or two writing job applications or listening to an improving podcast, with a film or an enjoyable book, etc. or whatever you enjoy. It's also a good time to take up a new hobby - eg brush up on your cooking/baking skills, then reward yourself with some delicious food that you made yourself.

Good luck!

4. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

Do online workout videos.

5. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

Exercise, study, read books. In my city I can even go outside and play basketball. I know it might be hard but it's a good work on self control.
    Good luck!