1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggest some good books....

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Md. F, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Md. F

Md. F Fapstronaut

Hi dear Friends,
    It's my day 5 of nofap. Due to covid-19 all the time time I stay at home like most of you.I want to utilize my free time to learn new things and increase my knowledge and sense of humour.
    Please suggest me your favourite books. I'll love to read them. I wish you all for your health and success...
    Thanks

2. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

My favourite would propably be Kuokkamummo by Marko Hautala but unfortunately it hasn't been translated to any language.

Stephen King's Full dark, no stars and Salem's lot are also great.

Also check out Bram Stoker's Dracula.

But if you aren't into horror, I'd recommend Herman Hesse's Narcissus and Goldmund. Although there's a couple of chapters in it where they are avoiding the plague, so if you'd like to escape the current situation while reading, maybe don't pick this one.

Md. F and Ghost in the Shell like this.
  3. I would recommend "Crime and punishment" by Dostoevskij. It's not an easy book, but the way he depicts the internal dynamics of an improvvisate murderer seem very accurate to me and really made me think a lot.

If you're into scifi, I would recommend "Rendezvous with Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke. He had some really cool ideas

Last but not least, my favorite self-improvement book is "12 rules for life" by Canadian psychologist Jordan Peterson. Easy to read and his view of life seems very reasonable and helpful to me.

Keep on reading!

Md. F and MikeyRamirez like this.
  4. MikeyRamirez

MikeyRamirez Fapstronaut

the fault in our stars is my favorite.

Di.Do.555, Deleted Account and Md. F like this.
  5. redemption7

redemption7 Fapstronaut

Read Moby Dick. Helps if you have some knowledge of the Bible beforehand, but there is plenty to enjoy nonetheless.

It will change your life every time you read it.

Md. F likes this.
  6. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Some kids-young teens books I like:
    Andrew Clements' school story novels. They're awesome.
    Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix
    Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
    The Paper Magician series by Charlie N. Holmberg
    The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer
    The Chronicles of Kazam series by Jasper Fforde, in particular Book 1, The Last Dragonslayer - humor/satire-oriented

Md. F likes this.
  7. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Oh god this was so good when I read it. Especially the first books. It got worse later on imo. Not bad, but not as great either. Definitely recommended for anyone who doesn't feel bad about reading books meant for younger audience.

Md. F likes this.
  8. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

The time travel one was pretty horrible. But the Atlantis Complex was hilarious.

9. My favorite book is The Perks of Being a Wallflower, but it's pretty depressing. Might not necessarily be a great quarantine read.

If I can think of something happier, I'll let you know.

10. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

You know the feeling when at some point the quality of a series starts dropping so gradually that you barely notice anything before you re-read (or re-watch because this happens with tv too) the first part? That's what happened to me with Artemis Fowl. I never had any problem with any part when I first read them, but when I re-read the first book, I was anazed of how good it was compared to the last.

Md. F and Hros like this.
  11. Couple more suggestions: The Host, Ready Player One, Paper Towns, Gone Girl, and anything by Ruth Ware if you like a good mystery. I would suggest The Woman in Cabin 10 or The Turn of the Key especially.

Md. F likes this.
  12. Nausea by JP Sartre, All Quiet on the Western Front by EM Remarque, Lord of the Flies by W Golding

redemption7, Md. F and MadJackMcMad like this.
  13. I really liked Lord of the flies (haven't read the other ones)

redemption7 and Md. F like this.
  14. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

The first 11 books of the 39 Clues series are great. Kids' books, but jam-packed with great plots and tons of interesting geographical, scientific, artistic and historical information (kind of the point of the series - teaching kids in an awesome way).

Md. F likes this.
  15. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

I read spiritual books, so I will suggest some. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis and The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. The Screwtape Letters is a book about two demons and how they get a christian to sin and, ultimately, they get him to fall away from the faith. The Pilgrim's Progress is an allegorical story about a guy named Christian and facing all the struggles that a christian usually goes through.

16. For all you intellectuals out there you may want to try: The Myth of Mental Illness by Dr. Thomas Zsazs. It'll rock your psychoanalytical thoughts about whatever it is you think about therapy.

Md. F likes this.
  17. redemption7

redemption7 Fapstronaut

All Quiet On The Western Front requires a second from me. Just be ready to have your soul crushed.

Md. F likes this.
  18. See You in the Cosmos by Jack Cheng

Md. F likes this.
  19. Childhoods end
    Arthur c Clarke

read it now.

Md. F likes this.
  20. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Oh god, I just realized I made a huge mistake.

Disclaimer:
    Narcissus and Goldmund has some serious trigger material in it. The main character Goldmund is a ladies' man and there are some scenes of him flirting and having sex with women. It's not straight up erotica, but more than explicit enough to trigger you if you are easily triggered by descriptions of sex.

Md. F likes this.