1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Motivation...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by ViperZer0, May 23, 2015.

1. ViperZer0

ViperZer0 New Fapstronaut

I have become such a better person lately. I've learned to listen to myself and find out where I'm lacking and improve myself, and I have done so in so many ways.

I've become more social
    I've become better at pushing myself to the limit
    I've become an overall more caring person
    I've become a better listener, and I am able to evaluate criticism without lashing out

But the one thing I can't seem to get over is motivation. I hate being unproductive, but I can't ever work up enough motivation to go through with whatever I need to get done. Does anyone have any advice on how to change this?

2. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

Hi ViperZer0,

I do not have a miracle answer but I can tell you how I think it works for me. I got this piece of advice from a book which I cannot remember the title. There are two basic concepts:

1) Any task requires a specific amount of mental energy to be completed.
    2) Completing a task on schedule increases your energy level. Failing to do so decreases your energy level.

Of course, the more challenging the task, the higher the rewards.
    Note: The 2nd principle is counter-intuitive, because action is generally associated with energy consumption. That is why when you are faced with a task which requires more energy than you think you have, you prefer to delay it for fear that it depletes your reserves. That is why we keep telling ourselves "I'll do it later".

The direct consequence of these two concepts is the following rule: motivation (or energy) starts with completing little tasks, and when the little tasks are done, you have more energy to take on higher challenges. It works because every little success unlocks the natural reward path of your brain: you get a productive dose of dopamine and your brain will associate completing a task with feeling good with yourself.

Now just a last real-life example. Imagine you have an essay to write over the week-end and that you have accumulated a week of dirty dishes in your kitchen sink. Writing an essay requires a lot of energy. Washing your dishes takes a little time, but it is easy in comparison. If you sit down and start writing, there will always be a voice in your head nagging you, saying "FML I still have those darn dishes to wash". Whereas if you start methodically by washing your dishes, you can start the real work with a clear mind and the feeling of having already accomplished something that day.

Food for thought: the difference between motivation and discipline is nothing more than a matter of point of view.

3. JakeCS

JakeCS Fapstronaut

Hey man. First off, your on the right track. You know what you want to do, now make the decision and really comit to it. Find out your why. If you think about the whole concept of motivation, it means you have to find something/some idea/some vision/some reasons to motivate you! You have to work on your vison off yourslef, paint it out in your mind. Imagine what kind of person you want to be with as much detail as possible and by that you will inevitably start working towards that vision, because you are attracted to it. Just like the vision off yourself living a life without nofap brought you here. Learn some principles to guide you and start forming habits. Often it's not about beeing motivated, but just having the habit of doing something even though you don't FEEL like doing it. Get over your feelings and to what you know is right.

I just started a thread here recently and maybe it will help you to push your life to the next level:
    http://www.nofap.com/forum/index.ph...na-succeed-as-bad-as-you-wanna-breathe.38509/

Stay strong! No excuses, no quitting!