1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My state (USA) considers gun stores essential services. Wtf?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ruttigan, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Ruttigan

Ruttigan Fapstronaut

So like a lot of people we are currently under stay-at-home orders here in northern Ohio. The gov closed down all businesses except "essential services". One of those businesses considered "essential services" are gun stores. Also liquor stores. Lol. America is so weird some times. We need guns right, so we can protect ourselves from people trying to infect us and loot our toilet paper stash?

2. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

LMFAO! :p Only in the US, right? :rolleyes:

Taylor25 likes this.
  3. It's really quite ridiculous the different things that are considered "essential." I mean, sure we need food, but do we NEED Starbucks? No. We need grocery stores. And sure, some fast food places would be important for people who don't have the ability to cook (meaning because they're homeless or something, not because they're dumb).

It's strange to me the different places that I still see open around town. I'm grateful to be considered essential so I can still work, but I don't even know if I agree that my job is essential. I clean houses for a living. And yeah, now more than ever we need things to be clean and sanitized. But it isn't ask if my clients are incapable of cleaning their own houses for a couple months. So I don't really think my job is essential, except maybe for a few of my clients who are too old to clean themselves and are at extra risk if I didn't clean for them.

But yeah... it's weird. Even landscaping is considered essential. That makes no sense to me. People can take care of their own yards if they need to. Having a landscaper or a housekeeper is a luxury, not a necessity.

desmondmiles and Taylor25 like this.
  4. In my opinion guns give Americans the illusion of freedom!

Therefore they are essential... xD

5. Macoxy22

Macoxy22 Fapstronaut

Hmm i am amazed

6. Ruttigan

Ruttigan Fapstronaut

We Americans must seem odd to Europeans. :D

Yeah my neighbor's have been getting their lawns mown. I think the idea is that if you can keep on working and aren't coming into contact with people, like in mowing someone's lawn, then you should be allowed to do it, for the economy's sake. But you know, the people that are mowing my neighbor's lawn are two dudes and I'm sure they can't keep proper social distancing while on the job.

onceaking likes this.
  7. MeatGuard

MeatGuard New Fapstronaut

I don’t think they give the illusion of freedom at all. If that was true then why don’t dictators just let there people have guns to create the “illusion of freedom”. After all the best way to enslave people is to make them think they are free. Why did the nazis confiscate guns from the Jews in the late 1930’s? It’s because a population with guns is harder to take compared to one without guns.

8. Gun stores may not be essential to you but they’re essential to me given that my firearm has saved me from being burglarized a couple of times. You see cops rarely show up during a crime and where I live they hardly show up at all. I’m very happy and fortunate to live in a country that allows me the right to protect myself and my family. I’m also happy you haven’t had to use that right and hope you never do, but just because you haven’t or won’t doesn’t mean I shouldn’t. That’s the beauty of our constitution, you get to choose for yourself what you want or don’t want for yourself. While I agree there are a lot of non-essential places open, I disagree that gun stores are not an essential business; especially recently when there has been an uptick in crime and homicides where I am.

I’m sure people in other countries laugh at us in the U.S. but they also haven’t had a history with firearms like we’ve had. Disarming yourself in this country is beyond stupid especially since there is an estimated 400 million small arms in circulation in the U.S.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2020
    red gyarados and brilliantidiot like this.
  9. Are google and social media giants essential services? No, but they're doing just fine. Oh, but we've got to close down the gun stores, nobody needs those.

10. red gyarados

red gyarados Fapstronaut

it’s like leftists live in their own little world

MeatGuard and brilliantidiot like this.
  11. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Damn, I guess not enough people are starving out there, we should have screwed the gun store owners as well.

/s

Deleted Account and red gyarados like this.
  12. red gyarados

red gyarados Fapstronaut

Maybe you’d like to pay your own defense budget

desmondmiles and brilliantidiot like this.
  13. I think Americans should be allowed a basic gun or two.

It's the "gun culture" I don't like so much. Feeling the need to own a dozen or more high-powered mass killing devices and all that.

Plus aren't you more likely to kill someone you know, accidentally, instead of an actual intruder?

But yeah I definitely respect someone's right to use a gun or two responsibly.

14. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Maybe they think coronavirus will turn people into zombies.

Taylor25 likes this.
  16. red gyarados

red gyarados Fapstronaut

Let’s write more laws, that’ll stop them from killing ppl

Taylor25, LEPAGE and brilliantidiot like this.
  17. ahighertruth

ahighertruth Fapstronaut

guns are definitely essential bud. its part of your constitutional rights. people need to stop comparing guns to murder, you know some people use guns for self defense right?

brilliantidiot likes this.
  18. I could be wrong, but I don't think they're saying guns are bad. Just that gun stores being open right now isn't necessarily essential.

I personally have no problem with people owning guns, and I would support their right to do so for their protection. But I'm not sure having gun stores open right now is really necessary. It's not like they would be taking away your right to own a gun if gun stores were shut down for a little while.

It's fine if you disagree with that, of course, but I don't think saying gun stores aren't essential right now is the same as saying guns aren't ever essential.

Taylor25 likes this.
  19. StonePlacidity

StonePlacidity Fapstronaut

If guns are legal then criminals may also use it. And more often then not they were better at shooting compared to people using guns for self-protection.