1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I stop getting urges to try drugs and trip?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Iamcryinginside, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Iamcryinginside

Iamcryinginside Fapstronaut

I keep getting urges to try drugs. At one point for a few times I tried to chug a bottle of nutmeg (a kitchen spice) to trip balls off of. (DON'T DO IT IT'S A REALLY HORRIBLE WAY TO GET HIGH AND I HAD A HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE AND I JUST REALISED AFTER THAT IT COULD DAMAGE YOUR KIDNEYS.) Despite that vacuous and unfulfilling experience I still get urges to get high, specifically to get a psychedelic experience, i feels empty and whenever I analyse creativity I think "huh, you need drugs to properly create fully original ideas." These urges keep following me and I don't know why. I want these urges to take drugs to stop. I feel like I'm empty without taking some sort of psychedelic drug. I think even during autumn I tried to pick mushrooms out from the park because I wanted to try shrooms really badly. I keep getting urges and I cant stop them. Of course I spat out the mushroom because I was scared of getting poisoning from the mushroom but despite my awareness of the dangers I have strong urges to take drugs and that any shred of creativity that wasn't made with no involvement of any drugs is from my logic immediately shitty. I know that's a horrible way of thinking but still I want these thoughts to stop. Any ways?

WalkingForward likes this.
  2. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I remember getting these urges for a while as a student. Have you had any drug experiences other than the nutmeg? Honestly, they aren't as good as the movies would have you believe.

I guess that you are craving excitement, escape from reality, escape from boredom? For a healthy 'escape', watch a psychedelic film, put a 'trippy' album on loud and listen with your eyes closed, trying to focus on visualising something that goes with the music. Meditate. Play a video game. Etc.

If you MUST try a drug, get someone experienced to guide you through it, and be there with you while you trip. Do not try these silly homemade drugs! Someone experienced will be able to guide you how much to take, and be able to talk you down if your brain takes you anywhere weird and disturbing.

But the truth is, the IDEA of getting high on drugs - and 'druggy'/psychedelic films/music etc. - is much more interesting than the actual experience. And you can enjoy them without danger!

3. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

p.s. in terms of creativity - the drug won't put anything in your brain that isn't there already. Best case scenario is that it might dull your 'self-censorship', so that you don't immediately shut down every creative pathway. There are other safer and more reliable ways to do this - best way is just to consciously create 'bad art' rather than doing nothing, allow yourself to be terrible in the hope that something good might emerge the other end.
    Worst case scenario is that it will kill your creativity completely, you'll either do nothing or create complete rubbish and not be aware how bad it is.

4. recoome

recoome Fapstronaut

Drugs is way to doom. A therapist helped me with my addictions. Drugs can wreck your life. There are other sources of dopamine than drugs.

I'm a writer n I get my ideas from watching stuff around me. I'd rather be a sober and boring writer than a successful one using drugs.

Besides, writing doesn't define me. I dont want to challenge my health/put it at risk by drugs. Jmo.

5. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

There's a big difference between different types of drugs and most of all the purpose of why they are used. I think using drugs purely for recreational purposes can be very destructive and should be avoided, turning to drugs like for example heroine, cocaine, meth or alcohol to try to cope with reality is especially dangerous.

If you've been addicted to drugs then it's wise to stay on the safe side and avoid drugs altogether.

I have a couple of times in the past taken MDMA and LSD.

Last time I took MDMA was about 7 years ago, it gave me a sense of self-love that lasted for about 6 months but eventually faded unfortunately, (back to mostly feeling about myself as I did prior). But after my 2 experiences of MDMA, I started taking better care of myself, I started working out, started eating healthier, started spending more time studying and got better grades and I also started my NoFap journey afterwards. I have had ups and downs in these habits but overall I still take better care of myself now than when I was younger, prior to my MDMA experiences.

I have had a couple of experiences with LSD (on 5 occasions if I remember accurately) throughout the last 6 years. These have been incredibly fascinating and difficult to describe. They have also been dark and scary at times and it's not impossible that I have gotten a bit more anxious permanently because of them. But they have also made me more open minded and also more creative I think. One LSD trip made me really reconsider my priorities in life, after that, I decided to quit drinking alcohol and to stop trying to chase after one night stands. It made me want to focus more on what I can contribute to the world rather than just focusing on what I can get/take from the world. As a curious person who likes exploring the world, I definitely don't regret my LSD experiences.

I'm not telling anyone to try or to not try tripping.

I just felt like sharing my personal experiences and opinions here. But if someone does decide to try tripping, do it carefully, you play with these sorts of things at your peril.

RaXaZ likes this.
  6. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

It's also important to not rush these types of things. Psychedelic experiences can at most serve as supplements for self-growth, self-exploration and creativity. You need to work on these things consistently without the aid of psychedelics. You can start with that.

If an appropriate opportunity comes along for somewhat safely trying psychedelics (it's never completely safe, there's always a risk, LSD will not harm you physically but can mentally), then you can grab that opportunity, or not, that's up to you.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  7. I guess it's an urge stemming from a feeling of being left out. A need to compensate. A savage instinct but it leads to 'over-compensating'. If you beat it, you will gain more self love than any lab drug promises. If you cave in, you will also learn the lessons there's. But I'd rather you flex that muscle.

8. ahighertruth

ahighertruth Fapstronaut

3 things you can do:
    1. Cut out all your druggie friends.
    2. Realize that your chasing a dopamine rush, not the drug.
    3. Set goals in your life, and work to achieve them.

bestme996 likes this.