1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Improving your voice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Neil Von Schafft, May 26, 2015.

1. Has anybody tried and got results? I tend to have a pretty weak voice that gets lost in the crowd. I've tried to make it more powerful over the years, but without success. I feel like I always have to force it to be understood in social situations. It is very tiring.

2. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

I agree with touchtheotherside.

I also have a weak, strained voice. I think it's called a hoarse voice. I've learnt alot about this in the last months.

1. Do humming or humming meditation for 15-30 minutes. Read the benefits. You will be happy with what they say about its effect and you will be encouraged. It will also benefit your nofap progress greatly, as it is a meditation.
    we don't breathe well and we have breathy voices.
    2. Read aloud daily at home and develop a way of speaking that gets more and more 'charming'. In time, you will take this with you when you go out of the house and actually be surprised that you will be using it.
    3. maintain good posture and observe your anxieties during conversations or before them. When you are conscious, things are much less likely to "go wrong", not just in voice, but in all walks of life.
    4. Speak from your whole body, not just your throat. You also breathe well when you do this or when you breathe well, you talk from your whole body. Sound should resonate in your belly, chest, throat, nose, and the "cave" of your mouth.
    5. Do vocal exercises. There are youtube videos for this who offer good advice and exercises. I know Caroline Goyder and Julian Treasure that both have good vocal exercises.
    6. Avoid spicy food for a while. I think milk products also make your voice sound terrible. You can avoid eating them for a week or two until you have some progress with your voice

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    PotentLife likes this.
  3. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

@KeenEye Nice man, you've touched all the key concepts. I'd have to say that breathing is No1. Practice using your diapraghm, not only will your voice get deeper but this will also massage your organs resulting in better oxygen flow through your body!

KeenEye likes this.
  4. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

I cannot recommend enough to exercise your voice by singing or reading out loud (try to read a theater play and actually play it!)
    This is the #1 thing that helped me get the voice I have today. Abstaining from PMO also helps a lot of guys to have a deeper voice.

EmptyHands- and KeenEye like this.
  5. beauty

beauty Fapstronaut

I have noticed repeatedly, a fuller, rich resonating voice during my numerous abstinent streaks. Abstinence is directly with an increase in testosterone. And as you very well know, testosterone is responsible for male secondary sex-characteristics. The change in voice is one of my favourite benefits surrounding NoFap hands down.

6. I would say I definitely have problems with breathing and posture. I will try watching my voice more. I've focused on my breathing during meditation and I've tried abdominal breathing, but it doesn't seem to work on me. My breathing still feels forced and shallow even when I'm breathing with my diaphragm. Same with my voice of course. There is probably too much tension in my body, but I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Exercice has helped, so has meditation, but the problem is far from being resolved. I've noticed my voice being deeper on occasions ever since I started with nofap, but there are still very rare occurrences. Thanks for the pointers!

7. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

I also learnt something this last week. I record my voice daily when I read things and it's improving. I noticed that I speak with a breathy voice. I think it's both unpleasant and unpractical to speak with a breathy voice. You might also speak too quietly when you speak with a breathy voice. You could look up for solutions to a breathy voice on youtube. The solution I think is speaking with a clear voice that is devoid of breathy sounds. A pure sound. I tried that for one night and also the morning after, and I spoke with a deep voice that I actually liked and enjoyed that day. This is also related to straining your voice when you speak.

8. Thank you, I will start putting this into practice!

9. EmptyHands-

EmptyHands- Fapstronaut

Yeah I totally recommend singing. I used to commute about 45mins or more to work. Lol I used to get some looks ocassionally but my voice and confidence improved a lot over a few months. Try and ease your way into it and don't go all screamo and sing in your throat cuz it can work against you. Good luck man!

10. Kiddy

Kiddy Fapstronaut

There is an extensive chapter on this in the audio-book Mastering the Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense (by Suzette Haden Elgin). She recommends getting a 20-minute sample of a male voice that you admire, such as a famous news anchor or politician, and mimic what they say while they say it. I tried this. I improved quickly, but I did not continue. It just took too much energy for me. If you can do this, I think it would work for you.

KeenEye likes this.