1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

what do YOUR triggers signify

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by KingDeDeDe, Apr 22, 2020.

1. KingDeDeDe

KingDeDeDe Fapstronaut

this recovery process definitely has some universal rules about it, but in a lot of ways our problems are as unique as we are. Our experiences, especially our repeated ones, create mental pathways that keep us stuck in a rut if we dont proper re-orient our lives.

I want to talk about some of the things ive learned by studyiny my own triggers and what I think they say about my specific struggles, but I also want to hear from others and how OUR experience with these issues is flavored by our unique experiences.

What ive recently figured out is that a well trodden mental state of my own is one of feeling powerless and inadequate around hot women, especially familiar ones like in school or now my workplace. thing is ive been married for almost 10 years, but havent properly re-trained my mind to feel the reality of that enduring victory. this has helped me realize just how much i need to retrain my mind to appreciate what i have and properly realize that i am no longer that loser i used to be.

it takes years to retrain your headspace, and i feel conceptualizing the struggle in this way has helped give proper scope, put momentary lapses in the broader context of gradual recovery with steady efforts.

what has any of you found to be the most problematic things you've struggle to elimate or come to terms with? what parts of your life are making progress difficult?

2. I'm hopelessly lazy and that saps my motivation to do anything. It's a self-reinforcing paradigm. "I haven't done anything today, and now it's late, so I might as well not do anything for the rest of the day." Not just addicted to PMO either - video games and internet as well. And if I rot in a chair playing games or watching youtube, it will make me tempted to relapse. So basically, the hardest part about NoFap isn't NoFap itself, but rather: the idea of extending NoFap to ALL of your unhealthy behaviors. Just changing one is not too bad on its own, but then something else might take over. You need to completely wipe the slate clean, and that is very hard.

3. KingDeDeDe

KingDeDeDe Fapstronaut

Whats funny is that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate actually helped me a lot during my first really long 100+ day streak.

If i had the right mindset that i am playing online to get better, to get challenged, and for the love of the game, it would greatly swing my mood in the right direction. the danger was if my mindset was "i need some wins to feel better" it would usually make my mood worse and i wouldnt play as well.

it is very much about identifying EVERY dumb thing you do, especially as it relates to our mindset.

good share! laziness is indeed a huge problem for most of us

4. I remember a quote from Anthony Robbins that said "There's no such thing as a lazy man. There are simply men who's dreams do not inspire them."

When I think back to my only times of laziness I realize how true this statement really is. If you have no dreams, or goals, or ambitions, then you end up just existing. Survival is the act of simply staying alive, but it is not the same thing as living. Perhaps one of the things that got us into this position in the first place was that we were looking to just survive, rather than designing and building a real and better life for ourselves. There could be numerous reasons for that, but I think it's something to consider.

5. S'mores and Brimstone

S'mores and Brimstone Fapstronaut

Ever thought about a "forced" fast? Maybe leaving your games at a friend's for awhile? Or even doing what I've done and cancel your Internet temporarily? Obviously you have to think out your necessities and other forms of communication. I can't tell you how to do it in your unique situation but I would strongly consider a fast you can't easily cheat out of , if for only a few days. Great way to expose what's gnawing at your interior. I used to have a bit of a game addicting too. Seems to go hand in hand with PMO addiction. Like booze & cigarettes.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  6. Well said. I've tried quitting everything at the same time, and it puts me in a really uncomfortable state like you said. If I take away video games, I waste all my time on NoFap and other forums, or youtube. I found that after being clean of PMO for a couple months, quitting Vidya and Internet surfing was much easier. That said, I shouldn't give myself a free pass to waste all my time.

7. KingDeDeDe

KingDeDeDe Fapstronaut

the habits of basic survival are all many of us learn when suffering a difficult existence. different things trigger memories of such a life perhaps not fully left behind. we run the risk of letting a small difficulty be seen by us as an all too familiar road block, then we abandon determination and mentally slip back into that existence.

we will never life without a world that resists our ambition, perhaps this is the trick of avoiding the lax, that we moderate how much fight we put up such that we do not tire. what pace can we maintain FOREVER?

8. KingDeDeDe

KingDeDeDe Fapstronaut

I think one thing to is how we glorify the best of the best, school trains you for obedience and getting your status from other people.

I think when people talk about loving yourself what they are really saying indirectly is that you are worthy of self respect, but the challenge is for those of us who havent gotten much from the outside.