1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any new runners? Looking for accountability partners

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Looking4Miracles, May 3, 2020.

1. Hey everyone!

I very recently joined this site, and to support my reset (5 days in so far!) I've taken up running. I've been a weightlifter in the past, but running is just completely beyond me - but I completed my 4th run today.

Was wondering if anyone else is trying to build this habit, and if there is anyone that wants an accountability partner. We could update each other on runs, how we improved, etc.

Let me know if anyone is interested (and if anyone has any advice on the best way to update each other!)

deeroo, Deleted Account and Viador like this.
  2. This is an awesome goal! I think my immediate goal is just to be able to run 5K without feeling like death - can't wait to see your progress.

Yesterday I ran 2mi with only one break, at a 10:30 pace. Hoping to go today without any breaks for 2 miles - but we'll see.

Appreciate the idea for a google doc if this becomes too big - but I agree, we'll use the thread for now.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. You and me are in the EXACT same boat. I have not run at all prior to undertaking my recovery, and I'm working on the two miles straight as well. I'll be running today - glad you are willing to join the "group"!

4. ItsSeal

ItsSeal Fapstronaut

Did some running in the past, but changed it for daily 30 minutes of walking. I dont know, never really had the feeling a human is made for having running as a habit.

5. dolphingambler

dolphingambler Fapstronaut

I've been getting back into running as well! I ran cross country all four years of high school, but stopped running when I got to college. I'm hoping to get in much better shape in general by running again.

In terms of tips, I would just advise not focusing on so much about distance, but about duration, so trying to increase the amount of time you're running more so than the amount of distance you can run. I feel like time is a more flexible metric than distance, and achieves the same goal of increasing one's endurance

Viador and Deleted Account like this.
  6. Great work! I jumped head-first into running but I'm getting such a crazy calf/peroneal pump that I'm a little worried about exertion compartment syndrome. Might switch it up to a run/walk set-up to ensure that I build up appropriately. Taking today off, back at it tomorrow!

7. LifeRunner

LifeRunner Fapstronaut

I have been running/jogging consistently (3 days a week) for about 4 months now. It has definitely brightened up my life a lot. I am afraid of getting injured or having knee problems, so I alternate between jogging and biking each day. For me, my goal is to jog for 30 minutes or to bike for 40 minutes. That is usually long enough to get me sweating and to feel the endorphins :) I also recently read an article about how people rotate running shoes to make sure that they do not get injured. There is some research behind it, but basically the idea is that each shoe places pressure on different parts of your foot every time you strike the ground. So by rotating your shoes, you do not pound a specific point on your foot for too many days.

8. Just did a 2.5 mile run today, but did intervals (4 minutes running @ 9:00/mi pace, 1:00 walking at 16:30/mi pace) and it felt WAY better, and I still got a great workout. Still building up to running straight through without my calfs pumping way way up.

Viador and Deleted Account like this.
  9. I just started running with this app, and I'm posting updates in the fitness section in my thread "Zombies! Run!"

Looking4Miracles likes this.
  10. dolphingambler

I ran for about 20 minutes this morning, with walking in between. It's pretty amazing how much more comfortable running can be after only a week of consistent practice.

11. Gorgewalker

Gorgewalker Fapstronaut

Not a new runner, but I'm making a comeback after a relatively long period of absence due to illness. It's crazy how quickly you can lose fitness, I was away for a month but seem to have been knocked back close to six months. My best advice both to myself now and to anyone starting or restarting running is to keep things varied. Even if you can only run for 5, 10, 15 minutes straight, mix things up. Run different routes, for different lengths of time, and with different paces. Do interval runs, fartleks, long runs; but do whatever pace is your fast pace on the interval runs and run a run that is long for you on the long runs.

12. LethalSlim

LethalSlim Fapstronaut

I've been thinking about taking up running! I want to do some more active things and running is one that is kind've compelling. As far as it being a regular thing, I'm thinking about either lifting weights at my house (then a gym when things open up) or running around my neighborhood. Anyone think one is better than the other?? When gyms open up I could probably do a little of both really.

I hate how running makes my whole body feel weak (maybe I push myself too far?) But naturally my body is more so fit to be a runner than a weight lifter haha; So I've been leaning towards running, though I'm slightly discouraged by the fact that the weather has to be nice enough for you to be able to go on a run. I want something that I will stick with for a good 3 days a week.

13. LethalSlim

LethalSlim Fapstronaut

That's one thing that worries me about running too; I already know my knees aren't great so I don't want to put a ton of extra pressure on them just to workout. I'll have to look up some good running shoes.

14. dolphingambler

I think as a pure way of developing fitness, I think running is really good because workouts are generally very straightforward, and you get to experience endorphins from being in nature. I'd say definitely consider starting a running habit. Take it easy at first and see how you like it.

The shoes can vary as your foot shape may favor some styles of shoes over others, but I'd say you don't worry too much about that right now, as having support in your shoes is the most important thing when beginning to do distance running.

15. Running is awesome and I love it. But I had to stop because the injuries never would heal.

That is the problem which is that if you develop an injury, connective tissue injuries do not heal

when you are older than 30 or so.

But I suggest using an elliptical. It has all the intensity, none of the shock,

and you can do it in any weather. Stationary bikes are good too, I just don't like sitting

when I workout, it feels half-hearted.

I had the perfect workout set up just before the gyms closed, I had two solid weeks

of weights and cardio gains, I was so pumped.

Then, after the gyms closed, I spent about 3-4 days trying to figure out a new routine.

I decided just to walk on the sidewalks for one hour a day.

After a week, my injuries flared up and I had to stop.

I've been rested two weeks now, I'm still in pain.