1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My first job interview

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Kyrtap, May 6, 2020.

1. Kyrtap

Kyrtap Fapstronaut

In one week, I have my first interview. During quarantine times it's hard to find any kind of internship and if nothing changes, if I don't find any job related to my studies I will fail semester. I don't mind not getting job if my skills are not enough, but I'm scared that they will reject me on social level. I have couple of things that I like doing once in a while but I wouldn't called them hobbies or passion. My body language is another problem, when I talk I always look down, even though I know about it I can't control it. I feel anxious about all of it and I wonder if in that one week I can do something about it.

2. Don't worry about it. You probably won't be saying this after 50 job interviews. If the first one's awkward, that's okay. I'm sure they'll understand.

Kyrtap and desmondmiles like this.
  3. desmondmiles

desmondmiles Fapstronaut

@Kyrtap I know, I have the same kind of fear of job interviews, even though I know it's not rational.

I'm not even looking at getting a job yet, especially since we have the pandemic going on. It's actually working in my favor because it gives me time to focus on self-improvement and in particular my NoFap streak, but for me my social anxiety is rooted in PMO, so I don't know if it's the same for you or not.

The best advice I can really give is, don't worry too much about it. It's your very first job interview. Just like with anything, it's going to take practice to actually be good at it. Try your best, but don't think its the end of the world. Just dress decently, arrive about ten minutes before your interview is supposed to start, and remember that your interviewer is just another person doing their job, they aren't out to get you and critique every little thing to do, as long as you answer their questions clearly and you meet the basic requirements of the position, chances are you're pretty likely to get the job.

And most of all, remember to breath.

If you're wondering how I know this, it's because I took four years of honors business and marketing classes all through high school.

Kyrtap likes this.
  4. Kyrtap

Kyrtap Fapstronaut

Today is the day. I try to tell myself that everything will be OK, it doesn't need to be perfect. Focusing on deep breathing is really calming, but it's not enough to deal with my stress.

5. Fomo Sapiens

Fomo Sapiens Fapstronaut

Who wants a job? They are horrible things.

6. cd013

cd013 Fapstronaut

I’m sorry fren :(

7. imsoappalled

imsoappalled Fapstronaut

A tip to improve on the looking issue:

- Practise with someone (sibling, parent, friend) and work on looking them in the eye the whole time. Practice makes perfect, so keep at it.

- If you can't do the above, and even if you can, practise by staring at yourself in the mirror and talking. Observe your body language, your facial expressions and see if you can keep yourself interested.

I used to do the latter back in uni, now I rarely practise anything like that to be honest. It works! Good luck.

Lastly, this kind of depends on where you live and how frank you guys are: When they ask you at the end "You got any questions for me/us?" then ask them how they think the interview went. They typically give you feedback and what they liked or didn't like. Always useful for in the future.