1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy food??

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by LethalSlim, May 12, 2020.

1. LethalSlim

LethalSlim Fapstronaut

Hey guys! One of the small things I need to work on is trying to eat better. I eat SO MANY sugary snack foods its kind've sickening lol. I don't like cooking much but does anyone have any ideas for what I should do to eat better? I love fruits so I was thinking I can buy and prep some fruit bowls for myself but that's mostly just a snack. Let me know!

ZenYogi and Diderik like this.
  2. cd013

cd013 Fapstronaut

I replaced all my sugary drinks with water & tea, currently eating bananas and apples daily aswell. Tea biscuits aren't so bad for a ''snack'' instead of consumer crap

3. LethalSlim

LethalSlim Fapstronaut

Thanks for the tips! I do pretty decent with my drinks fortunately. Mostly only drink water and tea already. Though maybe twice a week I may get a pop or juice drink while I'm out.

4. False promise

False promise Fapstronaut

replace sugary snacks with real glucose from fruit and starchy vegetables. Every cell in your body needs glucose to work, especially your brain. Fruit is not just a snack. I recommend doing a large fruit smoothie for breakfast. Put 5 bananas in it and some berries. No milk or yogurt. Eat lots of fruit throughout the day and a large meal of potatoes or sweet potato for dinner. Carb the fuck up

LethalSlim likes this.
  5. LethalSlim

LethalSlim Fapstronaut

Love it, sounds like it's healthy and enjoyable!

6. on_a_mission4truth

on_a_mission4truth Fapstronaut

Try a green smoothie, E.g spinach and cucumber

7. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I can strongly recommend what Dr. Sten Ekberg (a compatriot, holistic doctor and former Olympic decathlete) has to say about the matter.
    He is direct, to the point and gives some great advice about what to eat in order to receive proper nutrition and stay replenished, full and sated for the entire day.
    In order to do so, you should eat more slow and complex carbs (and less of fast simple ones), lots of green veggies, nuts, seeds and whole unprocessed foods (rich in necessary fats, vitamins and cholesterol that you need).
    Simply because these foods are nutritious, will keep you full for long by reducing your blood-sugar and insulin-levels while also reducing many of the current cravings you might have.

Dovahkin101, Diderik and skybrowser like this.
  8. desmond3

desmond3 Fapstronaut

I like eating hot porridge in the morning, usually oat + black sesame (roasted powder) + chestnut (packed and roasted), I make it just by adding hot water to all of the ingredients, its has good aroma and is easy on the stomach. You can also add fruit like banana and berries if you want to add sweetness.

Diderik and skybrowser like this.
  9. Diderik

Diderik Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Thanks, this is great advice.

10. Angus McGyver

Thanks!
    But that was probably a while ago I wrote since I have changed my views on the topic quite a bit. Pretty much since those leafy greens gave me lots of aches and pains two years ago (especially in my heel-bones and joints), after which I started to cut them out of my diet. I later found out they are full of anti-nutrients such as oxalates, which can crystallize in your body and give you kidney-stones (and lots more).
    I would suggest eating like the native-populations do all around the world, i.e. sticking primarily to the nutritious, tasty animals foods (primarily meats, organ-meats and just moderate amounts of high-fat dairy) with maybe some berries and fruits on the side when there is season.

Bradziggler1990 likes this.
  11. Diderik

Diderik Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Oh, absolutely not what I would suggest. I read The China Study, and I recommend it to anyone. It's a book by the guy who ran a study of 60,000 people in China where they eat much less meat. As I understand it (and you have to read it yourself if you want the whole story), the less meat the better, down to a few ounces a day-- like, very few. And when I say "meat" I mean anything containing animal protein. Yes, the protein, not just the fat, is bad over a small amount. You'll find that out. Eating lots of animal protein like that will catch up to you. You don't have to take my word for it though. To each their own. I'm going to eat my vegetables like grandma wanted me to. She knew best.

desmond318 likes this.
  12. Diderik

Diderik Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I've done more than read the China Study, I've eaten too much of the wrong foods myself. At least I'm not masturbating anymore-- I'd better at least keep that up.

Good night, everyone! Hope your Easter was good.

13. Angus McGyver

The problem with the China study is that it is just that: an epidemiology study which doesn't prove anything about risk since risk is a cause-and-effect statement. That means, you have control all the variables, which can't be done unless you lock people in a lab and feed them specific diets.
    Epidemiology is unfortunately a field in which cherry-picking the data you want to present is the norm rather than exception and the data in the China study is greatly cherry-picked to suit a specific agenda.

If the results in the China study were true, how come the Indians not be the healthiest people on the planet as they eat the least meat? (they look skinny, scrawny and short most of the time)
    And how come the citizens of Hong Kong be so long-lived with their high meat-consumtion?

As I have cut back on sugars and carbohydrates (including starches and fruits/vegetables) all the previous inflammations I experienced have slowly vanished and I have gained in muscle, feel nourished and satisfied. I remember two years ago when I was eating a lot of kale and tomatoes and ended up having excruciating pain in both my heelbones (probably due to the high anti-nutrient contents in those foods).

Dovahkin101 and Bradziggler1990 like this.
  14. RichardHart

RichardHart New Fapstronaut

Hey everyone! I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to chime in with my two cents. I feel you on the snack food thing - I struggled to get my diet back on track too. But then I started looking into some options to help me make the switch. I put some effort into researching natural foods companies and found one that was perfect for me.

15. If you have an hour to spare on a good free documentary, check out fat fiction. https://youtu.be/TUADs-CK7vI
    I
    t’ll be probably more helpful and insightful than just doing what grandma thought best.

16. Dovahkin101

Dovahkin101 Fapstronaut

That sounds great I'll check him out. I'm always willing to have my assumptions of diet put into question and finding out if I'm eating something unhealthy or not.

17. Dovahkin101

Dovahkin101 Fapstronaut

I generally feel better when I eat more meat I think, along with root vegetables. I tried eating a lot of greens at one time and I had stomach problems from that.

18. kio_actualized

kio_actualized Fapstronaut

Have a look at Scooby1961 YouTube channel, especially his old videos about nutrition. I'm sure you'll find lots of valuable information there.

19. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I'm starting to believe that different diets may benefit different people, for all sorts of reasons. I think it is really important to listen to your body, as you did, and experiment with different ways of getting your nutritional needs.
    I would aim initially to eat a bit more 'clean' - i.e. natural foods, ancient foods, (no processed rubbish) and aim for a great variety rather than thinking about dietary restriction.

Dovahkin101 likes this.