1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficult bible scriptures

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

Hey guys, I thought it might be interesting to start a thread where everyone can post some bible scriptures that they find hard to understand or apply. Of course there are parts in the bible that are difficult for the majority of people, but it would be nice to see the different kind of perspectives.

Keep in mind, that we all have our own views and this shouldn't become a thread about which view in your opinion is better.

Toni7 likes this.
  2. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

I'll start with something I read today, which I've read a couple of times and still find difficult.

Exodus 21: 4-5
    4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

5 “But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ 6 then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

Especially verse 5 is hard for me to understand, even if the master gives his servant a wife, can't a servant genuinly love his wife and children, and why would he have to to be punished for saying that?

I also realise these rules don't apply to us anymore since jesus died on the cross for us. So it's not a matter of applying, I'm just wondering what your views are on these verses

Toni7 likes this.
  3. All the Scripture provides us a picture of Christ. He is its main character. The nation of Israel and its laws present us with a picture of how God relates to us, his children.

Who is the Master? Is it not God himself? When he gives us a wife and children, to whom do they belong? They truly belong to him, no matter what else occurs. If we want to separate ourselves from God and get free of him, our family still stays under his ownership -- they are his. But if we decide to remain in God's house forever, we are so much the better for it!

Now, think of this passage with Christ in view. Who else do we know who was pierced publicly to declare once and for all his allegiance with us and establish himself as husband and brother and father to the spiritual family God had given him to care for? Do you think this passage was ever in Jesus's mind as he prepared himself for Golgotha? It is fascinating to contemplate!

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Kemar935 likes this.
  4. WindWolf

WindWolf Fapstronaut

I will try to clear up a few points to the best of my understanding.

1 - Many (not all) of the slaves in ancient Israel were slaves by choice: they had the option of selling themselves into slavery for a predetermined time {usually seven years, but every slave had to be freed in the year of jubilee once 50 years (leviticus 25,26)}, in order to pay back a debt or to regain financial stability, therefore, if his master gave him a wife while being a slave, when the slave regained his freedom and status as a free man, he couldn't just take with him another free man's female slave, even though they were married.
    In such a case he could buy her from her master if he could find the money.

2 - When a master would take the slave to the judges, it was for the slave's benefit.
    I'll explain: the law said that if a slave felt that he wanted to live the rest of his life in the service of his master, his master had to pierce his ear as a marking/a sign of "permanent slavehood".
    Without the need for judges (witnesses) to "interview" the slave and bear witness, any slave owner could pierce his slave's ear and claim that it was the slave who wanted to remain a slave forever and changed his mind afterwards.

3 - Do note that the law given to Moses was (as far as I know) the only one in that region and time giving slaves human rights and ensuring as much as possible fairness for both slave and owner.
    Other nations in the area were notorious for treating slaves worse than animals, so since it wasn't an option to abolish slavery completely (because people would still sell themselves), God did the next best thing and decreed a system to at least humanize it.
    Just as with divorce, where Jesus told the pharisees that divorce was permitted due to their own stubbornness, I think the same was with slavery, but It wasn't how God intended it to be.

Tao Jones and Kemar935 like this.
  5. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

Wow thanks for your detailed explanation! This makes a lot of sense yes, thanks!

6. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

Ok, rather than trying to explain what I've found, I'm going to point you to it - because what I thought was a simple things about Jewish property law and the understanding that the wife isn't Hebrew in a marriage to make more baby slaves actually becomes a much more profound and symbolic ritual that ties in the slavery in Egypt, redemption, blood, doorposts, scars and permanent wounds taken willingly, and if the hairs on the back of your neck aren't already standing up, yes, this is totally a foreshadowing of Jesus!! And the themes of redemption just keep coming! The whole ritual is explained in more detail in Deuteronomy 15, but the article below will elucidate the issue.

Check it out - wow this is cool! https://www.oneforisrael.org/bible-...gs/why-did-bondslaves-have-their-ear-pierced/

Makis, Tao Jones and Kemar935 like this.
  7. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

wow very facinating indeed!

8. Purity Power

Purity Power Fapstronaut

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. -Romans 11:22
    For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. -Galatians 5:13
    Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. -Philippians 2:12

Jesus Christ through Paul's ministry is very adamant on faith only for getting saved and once saved always saved, yet these verses prove that licenciousness is NOT grace at all...

Our apostle Paul also said this:

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. -1 Timothy 1:15
    For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. -Romans 7:14-25

9. Makis

Makis Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing! Cool avatar pic...