1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying not to care so much about the opinion of others

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Iridescent void, May 31, 2020.

1. Iridescent void

Iridescent void New Fapstronaut

Hello people, a general anxiety sufferer here, i have a problem with the idea of what other people think of me and lately it has been getting worse. Any tips would be appreciated.

A41:14A likes this.
  2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Do you value the delusion of being liked by everyone (do you like everyone that you meet?)...

or do you value being loved in relationships with people who are excited to receive what you have to offer and are excited to share with you what excites you? If the second one is the case, then you have to be polarizing. You have to repel the people who aren't right for you and attract the people that are. You polarize by expressing yourself honestly rather than being a manipulative chameleon that tries to fit in and not rock the boat with everyone you meet. That causes you to censor, silence, and hide who you really are. That also causes self hate and self abuse because you don't like yourself unless others like you.

If you're depending on external validation more than you self validate, you limit your ability to express yourself. Thus you attract and repel less people. Thus you're always stuck with relationships who don't dislike you, but they don't really care much about you either. Because you become a people pleasing person. A fake person.

3. TheLightOne

TheLightOne Fapstronaut

Talk it out man. Give an example situation. And remember people dont care about you. We all think they do but everyone cares about their own business. Ask urself: do u really think constantly about somw other person what he did?no u dont. So do they.

4. Iridescent void

Iridescent void New Fapstronaut

Sorry for the late response, was preoccupied with exams at UNI. I agree that if i want to please people, then i am not really me, as you say a fake person. Somewhere inside there is a need to please others, i don't know why, but most likely because i am afraid of being alone. Then, as you say, i equate their "happiness" with mine, and in the end, when i can't do that i feel awful, like i am useless. What spawned this latest state of mind, was my ex, who i loved very much, leaving me out of the blue, saying she changed, that she doesn't love me anymore. And i equated all of my happiness with hers, replacing the earlier problem, but not fixing it, so it came to bite me in the ass. I am trying to learn to self validate, but it's gonna be a loooong road, i feel like i don't know who i am, that i need to find myself, as cliche as it seems.
    An example: i rather stay quiet when somebody says something about me that i don't agree with, brush it off, or at least try to, instead of speaking up for myself.

5. just remember no one cares

bestme996 likes this.
  6. Just looking into No More Mr. Nice Guy book by Robert Glover helped me identify my personal flaws. Check it out.