1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Diuretics may be the cause to sudden relapse

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Ajar, May 29, 2020.

1. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Hey guys, Ajar here. Haven't been on in a while. I have been doing some research as usual, and searching for answer for myself, as well I constantly think about you guys, and how you all are progressing. So when I get some information, or a theory that may prove beneficial I tell you guys about it.
    So in the past, alot of you know that I constantly wage wars on Caffeine, and Sugar in general. In previous post I always describe how whenever I drink Caffeine, I generally end up relapsing within a day, or couple days time if I have been drinking it for a couple days in a row.

So what we know is that Caffeine has a strong association between mental states, as it is a psychoactive neurological stimulant, that blocks Adenosine receptors, therefore inducing a pseudo energetic state to the consumer. It also increases reflex speed due to its effects on the release of Ca2+ from the sarcoplasmic reticulums, and hyper-depolarizing properties. But the key point that I would like to discuss, is that it is a Diuretic! Meaning that it causes the body to release water. I don't know if you guys have had this experience, where after you drink coffee, or energy drinks for a couple days in a row, and then you notice that you either pee more in general, or that muscle you Kegel with becomes actually weaker? I have definitely had this experience multiple times, especially in my formal scientist days, where I used to drink cup after cup, days on end while dissecting the human physiology at the molecular level. In fact I found a couple journal articles ....this one stood out to me...
    "CONCLUSIONS. This study showed that caffeine at a dose of 4.5 mg/kg caused diuresis and decreased threshold of sensation at filling phase, with an increase in flow rate and voided volume. So, caffeine can promote early urgency and frequency of urination as well as nocturia symptoms."

So now think in terms of trying to stay clean from PMO. When you first get that urge, where does the feeling come from? So now think if the kegel muscle, and other muscles that hold in urine, and other matter are weakened, in that region, then you would feel urges a bit more. That area of your physiology would get more mental attention, you would feel more sensations there because it is easily stimulated through internal physical stimulation, rather than the usual external. This easier level of stimulation happens because the muscles are weaker, also it appears caffeine has a direct effect on these muscles. People very close to me, who have taken coffee their whole lives have ended up with things such loss of bladder control, nocturia (having to pee in the night). This isn't everything, but it definitely is something to become aware of. It might not happen to everyone, but I have a strong hunch.

So my proposition for you is to, refrain from diuretics in general, such as Caffeine, alcohol, or anything that makes you pee more frequently. Ive actually done this multiple times. My longest streaks happened all when I refrained from Caffeine, and/or Alcohol in general. Also if you refrain from these harmful substance, you retain more water, which helps your skin, immune system. You won't get sick as much. Also insulin resistance can and or will go down, considering when you intake any kind of stimulant that activates the SNS into dumping glucose into the blood, which just makes things worse. So if you're diabetic, just stop the caffeine in general. There's alot more, but this facet could be, and actually has been life changing for me. Let me know your thoughts. Im here for you!

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    iluvfreedom likes this.
  2. False promise

False promise Fapstronaut

I think you’re off the mark. It’s the stimulant factor that causes relapse. Coffee prompts your adrenal glands to release adrenaline.. which stimulates your nervous system. Being wired does not help in controlling urges. Being hyped up on adrenaline is the last thing you want to do if you’re trying to do nofap. It requires you to be cool calm and collected. It also creates a similar adrenaline effect that pmo does.. which is another reason why it’s triggering.

iluvfreedom likes this.
  3. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Well yea thats another aspect the Adrenaline. But I wasn't really aiming for that. I was wondering why I got more urges whilst drinking coffee during an extended duration. I box, I do MMA, Sprinting, fasting, all those activate the same system, but generally only when I drink too much caffeine I generally have a higher rate of relapse, whilst with the other activities I do not. Also you brought me to another idea. Adrenaline while drinking coffee takes a longer duration to clear, considering that caffeine has a half life of 8 hours. So your body is in a fight or flight stage, which may cause adrenaline fatigue, as well as higher levels of oxidative stress, considering that it activates the stress hormone axis. And I would assume also that higher levels of oxidative stress, cause higher levels of general mental stress, or easier levels of mental fatigue or irritability....basically the same reason why people eat shitty they act the same way. HMMMMM HMMMMMM Thank you for your input

iluvfreedom likes this.
  4. iluvfreedom

iluvfreedom Fapstronaut

man you hate coffee a lot

5. False promise

False promise Fapstronaut

The difference between those activities and coffee is that coffee stimulates fight or flight even though there is no stressor. During exercise and MMA as you said the adrenaline produced is burned off through the movement of your body. That’s how the fight or flight response is meant to work.. you fight or flight both of which involves moving to burn off that adrenaline so it doesn’t sit in your organs and cause problems. With coffee you could be sitting still doing nothing and yet your body will be having a subtle fight or flight response. The adrenaline will just soak up in your brain and other organs causing damage over time and contributing to lack of control over urges.