1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Conspiracy theorists: They're everywhere and they know everything !

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by MrDetermination, Jun 13, 2020.

1. MrDetermination

MrDetermination Fapstronaut

Click-baity title aside, I have a friend whom I met ten years ago, she is starting to believe conspiracy theories. Let's call her Martine. She and I are French, this info will prove relevant.
    So basically, a few weeks ago, I had posted some ranting on the political situation in France on Facebook. She then sent me a PM about Jacques Cheminade, and how he had understood everything that was wrong.
    If you're unfamiliar with Jacques Cheminade, he is a French politician and the prominent figure of the LaRouche movement in France, and also a conspiracy theorist. He ran for president in 1995, 2012 and 2017. Short summary of his ideas: France needs to opt out of the EU if it wants to be able to do anything, and should develop its very own space program to send people to colonize Mars (which I think France can scarcely afford on its own, but that's beside the point), also international finance controls everything governments do, right or left, in a form of "deep state" through some entity which he calls the "British Empire" (though he's not entirely wrong, international finance is extremely powerful and not always in a good way). I could go on about this guy's political platform, but that would be too long.
    About Martine, she has a history of supporting right-wing conservative politician, which I don't think is wrong per se, everybody is entitled to their opinion. Back when I knew her, she was supportive of Nicolas Sarkozy, then she voted for Marine Le Pen in 2017, and voted for Nicolas Dupont-Aignan's list (another right-wing nationalist guy) in last year's European elections. She lives alone with her mother, they both believe pretty much the same things and both are very supportive of each other. Her mother starts becoming an anti-vaxxer as well.
    So, why am I posting that? I mean, I could just stay there and let her believe whatever she wants.
    For a few years, I've been following the activities of French YouTubers promoting critical thinking and debunking pseudo-science and conspiracy theories (thanks to a friend Martine introduced me to, btw). I'm seeing Martine get swallowed up into this whole conspiracy thing, and I feel I have to do something about it. I care about her very much. The attitude I have adopted so far when she talked about this whole Jacques Cheminade thing was to listen to her and ask her questions, like the guy who is just curious and tries to understand. I have learnt that upfront debunking is counter-productive. Do you guys have any advice for me about what I should do in this situation?

TLDR: I have a friend who starts believing in conspiracy theories, I don't know what to do.

2. Well, you know, that's just like uh, your opinion man.

On a serious note: sometimes it's hard to deal with people like this. If they are stubborn and don't want to change their views, I usually just don't talk to them about that stuff. But since you care about this person, it might be better to ask the question: "how do you know what you know - what is your evidence?" Since most conspiracy theories are based on conjecture, intuition, or some other form of faulty reasoning - I would press them to explain their knowledge and reliability of their sources. Ask them where they got the information that they are drawing conclusions from. Chances are they will be citing various studies which are probably unreliable. Ask them if they have read and understand the studies. Try to find bias or motivation in their reasoning. Ask them if they have reviewed and fairly assessed the evidence that contends with their beliefs.

You said that "upfront debunking is counter-productive" - what do you mean by this? Do they refuse to listen when you debunk their claims? If so, I'm not sure what to do either. Two of my closest family members are radical conservatives with very racist and nationalist views. I mostly just ignore them because I know they are stubborn and resistant to change - plus I am not very educated on a lot of things and if I push them, they will likely retreat to areas where they have more knowledge than me and try to obfuscate and shift the goal post. They use very stupid reasoning but as all radicals do, they think they are enlightened and logically consistent.

Just try use intellect and logic - it won't fail if you're right. Understanding what bad reasoning looks like, reading studies, and fact-checking are very helpful ways to combat conspiracy theories.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    brilliantidiot likes this.
  3. Ruttigan

Ruttigan Fapstronaut

I used to think conspiracy theories were just fun quirks that added to a person's uniqueness, sometimes weird and bizarre, always unfounded in truth, but basically harmless. Now that I've seen how the US right has weaponized conspiracy theories to disregard realities they find uncomfortable, to shape their own bizarre and dangerously violent view of the world, and to generally threaten the very foundations of democracy: conspiracy theories make me sick to my stomach. Literally.

MrDetermination likes this.
  4. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

I think on some level people are comforted by having an explanatory framework, I mean heck a lot of people have probably never even heard of confirmation bias - not to mention the awareness of how it can work in ones own thinking process doesn't necessarily come with understanding the concept.

Does Martine know about the debunking YouTubers? Maybe share a video on a topic that she wouldn't already disagree with or have a strong opinion about, at least she would be exposed to the process of critical thinking. I also wonder if those are more kind of even handed and dispassionate or go toward the other extreme of "OMG how can you believe that!" kind of drama attitude. As you said up front debunking is not helpful, it's like trying to directly challenge the belief system of someone in a cult.

I think it's important to recognize there are two things: Psychological motivation ("I Want To Believe") and the lack of critical thinking skills. Some people also react to anything that even sounds like conspiracy theory, which is why I mentioned screening for that quality in the debunking videos but it would also be a bit naive to think everybody in government is completely honest about everything and are perfect saints and angels even if we don't know what's going on exactly, there are documented historical facts of acts that does not fit that profile obviously.

5. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

We all have beliefs / interests that we will defend to the death.

If you have a pet dog and she doesn't like dogs, then it's time to move on rather than get sucked into a life where you don't have a dog.

6. GhostRider@11

GhostRider@11 Fapstronaut

Well, Is she talking about Illuminati. For a second just think that these conspiracy theories are real - then dont you think that government will eliminate all proofs about this conspiracy, then it is obvious that you will not find any reliable evidence. Ask her about why she believes those things, then again counter question until and unless one of you give up. At last either you will understand that she was right or she will understand that you were right. Actually I myself believe on few theories.

7. My relative believed vaccines caused autism. The finest BS that exists. You can't move on and call it a loss-cause. There is harm in it. Calling them stupid did not help. News of measle outbreaks and death did. Long story short, their child did get vaccinated. Thank God. Others have not been so fortunate and had their children get harmed or even died.

These are one of those matters where it is a lot easier to cause problems than it is to fix.
    What I suggest doing is sharing content from these funny doctors. These are voices of reason and very funny.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoctorMike
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ZDoggMD

8. SoaringEagle

SoaringEagle Fapstronaut

Just a question guys, so you do believe the official September 11th story?
    -That Larry Silverstein the close friend of Benjamin Netanyahu was just terribly luck, he and his family to have evaded being at the WTC and managed to profit Immensely from it by a stroke of luck.
    -Or that the dancing Israelies who had been arrested celebrating had nothing to do it.

Anyone who have looked into September 11th, should come to the hard realization that those who are labeled "conspiracy theorists" are not so crazy after all and things are not as they all seem to be. for the very good example if something as big September 11th could pass without the real perpetrators being arrested and without the truth coming out in any main stream venue for so long, it means the whole "official" world view is shaken but due to cognitive dissonance people would refuse to accept it.

It used to be in older societies that religion and caste/sect/class was used to control the masses, anyone criticizing that control would also be labeled all sorts of names by the gullible masses who enjoyed their servitude to their feudal lord or abusive religious clergymen. Nowadays it's no different but only more sophisticated form of psychological control.

OP, the reason that you are annoyed that your friend is "crazy" or however you want to describe her, is because deep down you know something is not right in the world and that she holds some truth, but it's terribly hard for you to start to accept it because you have built up mental structures and world views that has to be shattered if you want to do that and it's really uncomfortable. No one can change anyone in a short period of time, your ideas are a part of you. Someone who is in deep denial about the world might have to suffer some serious trauma before they even start to change their mental structures.

But it's alright my friend, keep burying your head in the sand, wash your hands and stay "Safe", the germs are out to get you and your government knows what is best for you and cares deeply about you.

9. Well aren't you woke...

10. Envoy-ofthe-End

Envoy-ofthe-End Fapstronaut

After the assasination of JFK the CIA coined the term "conspiracy" to whoever questioned the mainstream rhetoric... JFK wanted to give a middle finger to the Federal Reserve which is NOT owned by the US, but by a private corporation that owns almost all of the CENTRAL Banks in the entire world. If you think you are free... you are not, you´re a slave and they have divided the people. Divide and conquer.

11. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

@MrDetermination how much time have you got and how much do you like her?
    Perhaps she is spending too much time with her mum. Their world is collapsing inwards and they are focussing on silly things that make them feel like they are engaging with the world and taking a stand. Perhaps you just need to get her out more. If she had a richer life she may no longer have the time nor the inclination to focus in on these conspiracy theories. Just my 2p worth, I may be misreading the situation.

12. GhostRider@11

GhostRider@11 Fapstronaut

ROTHSCHILD OWNED & CONTROLLED BANKS:

Afghanistan: Bank of Afghanistan
    Albania: Bank of Albania
    Algeria: Bank of Algeria
    Argentina: Central Bank of Argentina
    Armenia: Central Bank of Armenia
    Aruba: Central Bank of Aruba
    Australia: Reserve Bank of Australia
    Austria: Austrian National Bank
    Azerbaijan: Central Bank of Azerbaijan Republic
    Bahamas: Central Bank of The Bahamas
    Bahrain: Central Bank of Bahrain
    Bangladesh: Bangladesh Bank
    Barbados: Central Bank of Barbados
    Belarus: National Bank of the Republic of Belarus
    Belgium: National Bank of Belgium
    Belize: Central Bank of Belize
    Benin: Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO)
    Bermuda: Bermuda Monetary Authority
    Bhutan: Royal Monetary Authority of Bhutan
    Bolivia: Central Bank of Bolivia
    Bosnia: Central Bank of Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Botswana: Bank of Botswana
    Brazil: Central Bank of Brazil
    Bulgaria: Bulgarian National Bank
    Burkina Faso: Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO)
    Burundi: Bank of the Republic of Burundi
    Cambodia: National Bank of Cambodia
    Came Roon: Bank of Central African States
    Canada: Bank of Canada – Banque du Canada
    Cayman Islands: Cayman Islands Monetary Authority
    Central African Republic: Bank of Central African States
    Chad: Bank of Central African States
    Chile: Central Bank of Chile
    China: The People’s Bank of China
    Colombia: Bank of the Republic
    Comoros: Central Bank of Comoros
    Congo: Bank of Central African States
    Costa Rica: Central Bank of Costa Rica
    Côte d’Ivoire: Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO)
    Croatia: Croatian National Bank
    Cuba: Central Bank of Cuba
    Cyprus: Central Bank of Cyprus
    Czech Republic: Czech National Bank
    Denmark: National Bank of Denmark
    Dominican Republic: Central Bank of the Dominican Republic
    East Caribbean area: Eastern Caribbean Central Bank
    Ecuador: Central Bank of Ecuador
    Egypt: Central Bank of Egypt
    El Salvador: Central Reserve Bank of El Salvador
    Equatorial Guinea: Bank of Central African States
    Estonia: Bank of Estonia
    Ethiopia: National Bank of Ethiopia
    European Union: European Central Bank
    Fiji: Reserve Bank of Fiji
    Finland: Bank of Finland
    France: Bank of France
    Gabon: Bank of Central African States
    The Gambia: Central Bank of The Gambia
    Georgia: National Bank of Georgia
    Germany: Deutsche Bundesbank
    Ghana: Bank of Ghana
    Greece: Bank of Greece
    Guatemala: Bank of Guatemala
    Guinea Bissau: Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO)
    Guyana: Bank of Guyana
    Haiti: Central Bank of Haiti
    Honduras: Central Bank of Honduras
    Hong Kong: Hong Kong Monetary Authority
    Hungary: Magyar Nemzeti Bank
    Iceland: Central Bank of Iceland
    India: Reserve Bank of India
    Indonesia: Bank Indonesia
    Iran: The Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran
    Iraq: Central Bank of Iraq
    Ireland: Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland
    Israel: Bank of Israel
    Italy: Bank of Italy
    Jamaica: Bank of Jamaica
    Japan: Bank of Japan
    Jordan: Central Bank of Jordan
    Kazakhstan: National Bank of Kazakhstan
    Kenya: Central Bank of Kenya
    Korea: Bank of Korea
    Kuwait: Central Bank of Kuwait
    Kyrgyzstan: National Bank of the Kyrgyz Republic
    Latvia: Bank of Latvia
    Lebanon: Central Bank of Lebanon
    Lesotho: Central Bank of Lesotho
    Libya: Central Bank of Libya (Their most recent conquest)
    Uruguay: Central Bank of Uruguay
    Lithuania: Bank of Lithuania
    Luxembourg: Central Bank of Luxembourg
    Macao: Monetary Authority of Macao
    Macedonia: National Bank of the Republic of Macedonia
    Madagascar: Central Bank of Madagascar
    Malawi: Reserve Bank of Malawi
    Malaysia: Central Bank of Malaysia
    Mali: Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO)
    Malta: Central Bank of Malta
    Mauritius: Bank of Mauritius
    Mexico: Bank of Mexico
    Moldova: National Bank of Moldova
    Mongolia: Bank of Mongolia
    Montenegro: Central Bank of Montenegro
    Morocco: Bank of Morocco
    Mozambique: Bank of Mozambique
    Namibia: Bank of Namibia
    Nepal: Central Bank of Nepal
    Netherlands: Netherlands Bank
    Netherlands Antilles: Bank of the Netherlands Antilles
    New Zealand: Reserve Bank of New Zealand
    Nicaragua: Central Bank of Nicaragua
    Niger: Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO)
    Nigeria: Central Bank of Nigeria
    Norway: Central Bank of Norway
    Oman: Central Bank of Oman
    Pakistan: State Bank of Pakistan
    Papua New Guinea: Bank of Papua New Guinea
    Paraguay: Central Bank of Paraguay
    Peru: Central Reserve Bank of Peru
    Philip Pines: Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas
    Poland: National Bank of Poland
    Portugal: Bank of Portugal
    Qatar: Qatar Central Bank
    Romania: National Bank of Romania
    Russia: Central Bank of Russia
    Rwanda: National Bank of Rwanda
    San Marino: Central Bank of the Republic of San Marino
    Samoa: Central Bank of Samoa
    Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency
    Senegal: Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO)
    Serbia: National Bank of Serbia
    Seychelles: Central Bank of Seychelles
    Sierra Leone: Bank of Sierra Leone
    Singapore: Monetary Authority of Singapore
    Slovakia: National Bank of Slovakia
    Slovenia: Bank of Slovenia
    Solomon Islands: Central Bank of Solomon Islands
    South Africa: South African Reserve Bank
    Spain: Bank of Spain
    Sri Lanka: Central Bank of Sri Lanka
    Sudan: Bank of Sudan
    Surinam: Central Bank of Suriname
    Swaziland: The Central Bank of Swaziland
    Sweden: Sveriges Riksbank
    Switzerland: Swiss National Bank
    Tajikistan: National Bank of Tajikistan
    Tanzania: Bank of Tanzania
    Thailand: Bank of Thailand
    Togo: Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO)
    Tonga: National Reserve Bank of Tonga
    Trinidad and Tobago: Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago
    Tunisia: Central Bank of Tunisia
    Turkey: Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey
    Uganda: Bank of Uganda
    Ukraine: National Bank of Ukraine
    United Arab Emirates: Central Bank of United Arab Emirates
    United Kingdom: Bank of England
    United States: Federal Reserve, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
    Vanuatu: Reserve Bank of Vanuatu
    Venezuela: Central Bank of Venezuela
    Vietnam: The State Bank of Vietnam
    Yemen: Central Bank of Yemen
    Zambia: Bank of Zambia
    Zimbabwe: Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe

And this list was only of banks, he also have his business in real estate, gold, wine etc. Media and most government is controlled by them. Any political leader who tries to go against them is offered corruption. Media doesn't support those government who doesn't agree to their demands, Many are even assassinated. Please dont use google to verify all this, it is censored - it might show you PMO, but it will never show this truth. Use duckduckgo.

mrk303 and Envoy-ofthe-End like this.
  13. You do know what duckduckgo is right? It is the Bing search engine with a few privacy perks. I am not a fan of googles
    privacy but their search engine is far more powerful.

14. SoaringEagle

SoaringEagle Fapstronaut

Guys, just to keep things in perspective.
    People are free to believe whatever they want to, I think this should be a given. And it is only natural that people would have different opinions on different things. But what is not natural is the usual outright hostility and righteousness that those who adhere to the mainstream narrative feel that they can exercise over those who do not.
    What is unusual is the level of control and censorship now present on the internet especially on the bigger platforms like Youtube, Reddit and facebook. If someone is supportive of this level of censorship just because he/she feel their opinions are the same ones as being pushed by the controllers whom he/she are happy to obey perhaps they should take time to reflect.

In communists block countries, any dissent would be considered not only as political opposition but as a mental issue! Clearly the communist party had all the right answers, anyone criticizing it must of been mad or mentally disabled according to them. We are now seeing a similar trend where anyone who criticizes whatever the majority believes they are also labeled "Conspiracy theorists". Even for such obvious and easily provable things such as the Israeli mossad involvement in September 11th attacks or the mossad blackmail operations of their agents Jeffery Epstein or Ghsilane Maxwell.

Where to draw the line for state power? Should the state just kill off anyone who refuses the COVID narrative? Or shoot in the street anyone not wearing a slave muzzle/mask?
    Doesn't man have a right to live freely? (And no, the excuse "it's for the good of the community" is the usual excuse all dictators use)
    It used to be shunned upon how the Saudis for example would force women to wear the Burka or restrict people immensely, but now supposedly "free" and advanced societies are brutalizing their citizen and enforcing draconian measures on them worst than what Saudis used to do but everyone is busy rationalizing that the state should gain more powers!

OP: You should change your title to this to make it more clear: "My friend changed her political opinion and is supporting a party I do not agree with, thus I think I have a right to call her names and think she is crazy and try to fix her so she thinks just like me, others also have a right to judge her and think she is crazy so please guys call her crazy as well or tell me how how to make her think like me again."

15. You hit the nail right on it's head.

GhostRider@11 likes this.