1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Fasting

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Stragler, May 17, 2020.

1. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

What is the longest you have water fasted and did you notice any benefits?

2. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

I've gone 3 and a half days......amazing experience. the first day is tough. but by the time you sleep off the first night it becomes somewhat easy. Felt great. Highly recommended. But that first night while trying to sleep sucks.

Stragler likes this.
  3. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

Yea I’ve heard that you don’t need as many hrs of sleep while fasting though because you don’t burn energy on digestion.

4. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

How long have you gone? If you have not gone more than 24 hours, I promise you there is a change that you cannot imagine. Hunger is NOT linear. But most of us succumb to it long before the APPARENT linear nature of it goes away.

5. seaguy44

seaguy44 Moderator Assistant

I am now on my 5th day of 16 hours of no fasting and 8 hours of eating. It gets easier and it's amazing. i'm doing this for weight loss. My next goal is during one weekend to try for 24 hours... then eventually try 72 hours of fasting every 6 months

6. seaguy44

what changes did you felt after 24 hours?

7. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

Up until 24 hours, your hunger grows and grows and you swear you will only grow crazy if you don't eat. You can't imagine continuing the fast.....going to sleep that night (which is the second night, but the first night you go to bed where you at nothing for the entire day) is horrible. You are all wound up. You can't sleep.

But after you wake up, which means about a 36 hour fast, the hunger disappeared. It is there, but in a minor and more abstract sense. It is no longer a pang.....just a vague sense that, yeah, I could eat.

If you can make it to that point, fasting is easy.

seaguy44 likes this.
  8. seaguy44

why did you decide to fast that long?

9. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

My longest is a 7 day water only fast this spring. It was amazing how clear my skin became over this time. I lost 15 pounds in one week. I wasn’t doing it lose weight though since I’m kinda skinny anyway. I’ve done several 2 day fasts before and have been doing 16/8 intermittent fasting for about half a year now. I heard about the superpowers of fasting through a podcast called ‘The Fasting Podcast’ and decided to try it.

10. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I haven't been able to battle it for longer than three days where the first two days actually went quite smooth but on the third day, the hunger felt a lot more painful than previously. I could probably have ridden it out for another day if I tried but the slight fatigue and cravings for some food were just too big to resist.
    Despite that, I felt very alive and the most mentally clarity I have ever felt in my life. It also felt like my vision became even sharper and more defined at that point. It was both a frightening and very spiritual experience at the same time.

11. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

I think another way to look at fasting is that it helps teach the body to say "no" to itself. This, in turn, helps on the masturbation front. I find the better I am doing on the fasting.....the better I "fast" on the masturbation. They both work in harmony, I think.

Stragler likes this.
  12. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

Stragler,

Can you offer any tips/advice on the 7 day fast? I admit, the notion is a bit intimidating to me, but I am utterly convince to try one would be beneficial to me.

For the record, I do essentially OMAD and have a 48 hour fast scheduled. (last meal tuesday 6pm, next meal thursday 6pm)

13. Wow that was a great write up . I have been wanting to fast for some time i have heard its a very spiritual experience . Could you tell us more about that?

14. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

You just have to do it. The first 3 days are the hardest and then it gets a little easier. The seventh day I got really physically weak though and felt like I was going to pass out. I worked my normal job the first 4 days of the fast. I’m an RN so it’s pretty physically and mentally demanding...but then my last couple days I was off and was really glad for that because I was to weak on day 7 to do anything. My advice is to drink lots of water during the fast. It helps detox your body. Also try not to think about food, kinda like Nofap just with food instead. Also after the second day my flesh didn’t seem to care too much about sex. Just craved food so Nofap became really easy. Listen to The Fasting Podcast they have some great tips and motivation for fasting. Listen to the episode: superpowers of the extended water fast. Best episode they have and it’s only about 12 minutes.

When you come off of an extended water fast start off with a smoothie. I made one and put nearly every vegetable and fruit I could find in it and it tasted amazing. I literally felt tingling over my entire body while I was drinking it. It was like all the cells in my body were waking up. Also got a major craving for stuffed peppers which I ate about 2 hrs after my smoothie. Unbelievably good.

Another issue I had was not being able to sleep. I only slept about 4-5 hrs per night but apparently your body doesn’t need as much sleep because your not wasting energy on digesting food.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Davidphd1866 likes this.
  15. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

Thank you Stragler for the tips on a 7 day fast. I would not have anticipated that the sleep thing would have gone on for the entire week. I figured just the first night. That is good to know.

You mention something else that I hope everyone can take to heart: real food tastes so much better when you fast. It's easier to make good dietary choices if you are not over eating.

I guess that must hold true for ejaculating: It's easier to make good choices if you limit them to the more or less truly necessary ones.

Stragler likes this.