1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with stage fright

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by KeenEye, Mar 27, 2015.

1. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

fapstronauts, this Monday we have a class where each of us students have to stand in the center of the room and read poems to the rest of the class. And my teacher told us not to read it as if it is an article in a newspaper. We basically have to bring out the performing side in us while we read it. It takes 5-6 minutes. I realize that this might seem simple and easy enough to some of you and some others might have expected that I have to give a speech to 400 people. But the last two times like 5 months ago all my body was shaking (especially my head. It just vibrates I don't know how else to describe it) when I stood up and presented whatever I was presenting. I would be nervous and unable to make eye contact with most of the people in the audience. I don't know why I get so nervous. Any tips or advice for being so stressed and for how to express myself the best way? Also, I notice that I don't breathe properly in such activities and that my legs shake. They somehow don't seem to be on the ground firmly (I hope you get what I mean). If I was on, like, day 60 of my nofap journey I probably would handle myself much better and not ask for help with this, because I know techniques to perform well. But somehow I'm not even able to listen to myself to apply the techniques. It's like reason just abandons you in these situations.

2. SerpentEagleHeart

SerpentEagleHeart Fapstronaut

Ah man! Think I might be slightly too late for advice on this, but I used to have stage fright but solved it and could give you more advice on it if you want?

I found the principle of this TED Talk extremely useful, as a starter! Let me know if you want any other thoughts!

3. FutureGuitarGod

FutureGuitarGod Banned by User Request

That would definitely make me nervous. I know I hated being called up to the front of the class to write on the whiteboard or answer questions while standing by my desk. My advice would be to rehearse alone so that you can find your footing and the places to add little nuances and flare. Once you do that, go through the scene with your parents, siblings, or friends. Ask for advice on what you could do to make the performance better, and revise. Rehearse alone, but visualize an audience. Focus on your delivery, rhythm, and the performance itself. The audience is a group of people, so try not to single anyone out, or otherwise acknowledge anyone making silly faces or whatever. Just view the audience as one person, and your performance as a conversation or statement to that one person.

Lastly, it's something the whole class must do. You'll see people do well, you'll see people struggle. What's more, you'll see people who think they're all that try too hard, and they'll look like jackasses for it.

jazzphanatic likes this.
  4. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

Thanks man. I will watch it later tonight, and there's a good chance that I will need to talk more about stage performance and stage fright after I watch the video.

5. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

Thanks for your advice. I did practice in front of the mirror. I read the poem 20 times, but unfortunately since the class looked scarier than I thought it would be, I chose to read a short poem. I still was able to make them laugh though, so I did better than I thought I would.
    I still don't know if I can rehearse in front of my relatives, family, or friend though! Everyone in my world is so used to behaving like they always do, it's become very weird to break barriers. That's another problem I have: When I change something about myself to something good, I don't show it because other people might expect me to be the same person with the bad quality. I'm just crushed by reluctance, doubt, and anxiety! and about seeing the audience as a single person, that's a great idea. One time in a debate I thought about the individual persons sitting there and wondered what they thought of me. That was a disaster but I still managed to do well, except that I was looking at the right side of the room the whole time.

Sorry for the long reply but I couldn't just make it short.

6. They always tell you to imagine the auduence in their underware to get over this but I say to imagime them in your underware!
    Ha ga... Goid luck it gets better with practice.

7. jazzphanatic

jazzphanatic Fapstronaut

KeenEye, you aren't alone with your discomfort of public speaking. I share the same fear. Most of the time, I'm able to hide/handle it well but I'm totally freaking out on the inside while I'm being the center of attention. I have to speak at a military retirement ceremony in a few months...to prepare myself, I will probably check out the video that our friend, 'SerpentEagleHeart' was kind enough to share, and also try to find opportunities that would allow me to speak in front of crowds more often. What class are you in by the way?

KeenEye likes this.
  8. trying_my_best

trying_my_best Fapstronaut

I remember they always used to teach us to use palm cards with dot points of key bits of info etc when giving these sorts of class presentations. My hands were always shaking so much I couldn't read a damn thing, or I'd have the palm cards torn up into little shreds, dropping little bits of paper onto the floor in no time. I got reasonably good at being able to ad lib. I don't know why teachers insisted on making these things so hard - I mean why couldn't you stand behind a podium where you could feelless exposed and self concious with some nice big A4 notes settled on it nice and close and easy to read!

KeenEye likes this.
  9. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

Sorry for the late reply. I just read this. The class is translation. We translate poems from our language to English.

hahahah I agree! the atmosphere is so scary that you being able to enjoy it seems impossible. I think being much less self-centered in these things is the solution. Or if you meditate for 4 hours before the speaking, you will be a god!

10. Limeaid

Limeaid Guest

You are not alone. People fear public speaking more than death! Embrace the nervousness and expect the worse. You might stutter, turn red, sweat but if you try to fight it, it honestly makes it 10 times worse! Take 5 deep breaths when you first stand up and let it go.

KeenEye likes this.
  11. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

I apologize again that I didn't the latest replies sooner. I know I've noticed how I'd prefer to be in the middle of 5 crocodiles running from my life than to be present in a crowd of people talking to them and have them listen! But I've also noticed that when I go 15-20+ days no PMO I am much better. I'm calm even. The only problem I still have is my voice which I think is hoarse most of the time from misuse.

12. JustADude

JustADude Fapstronaut

There is a group out their called "Toastmasters International", that is an awesome place for anyone who is deathly afraid of public speaking to find help. The group is freaking awesome. Check it out...
    http://www.toastmasters.org/

The group is really meant for people who already have a job, and many companies will pay for their employees. At my work, we have numerous people who joined the group because english was their second language. They would start the group being quite terrible at public speaking, and by the end, they were awesome.

Some advice... the only way to get over the fear of public speaking, is to speak in public, the more you do it, the less it will bother you.
    Another tip... instead of avoiding your anxiety about public speaking, turn the anxiety around, try to look forward to the rush your body will feel while public speaking. Your heart rate goes nuts, your adrenaline pumps. It really is a thrill, so, think of it as a scary roller coaster ride that you want to conquer. Imagine how you are making yourself a better person and feel proud of the fact that you were able to force yourself to get up in front of a group of people and talk. Feel that pride while you are speaking.

KeenEye likes this.
  13. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

I'll certainly look it up! And I agree with you on what you said about embracing everything. Only people who are very self-centered will feel this much nervousness when speaking to a crowd. They forget that it's about conveying something to the audience and it is about them not him/her! I just have to 'jump into the water and let it carry me' instead of forcing everything happening in my life. It's certainly exciting that I'll be going through that. We've become so serious and so inflicted with the harms of PMO and the lifestyle it forces us to have, we forget that things should be exciting rather than frightening.

14. Hey keeneye.
    as per my experience stage fright will never go away completely.
    My suggestion is to go for it. maybe u'll suck for a few times in the beginning and then u'll not. its a numbers game. the more u'll do it the better u'll get.
    And for sure there are a lot techniques u can learn.

Also read Dale Carnegie there are courses books etc. Trust me it will help u a lot.
    Warren buffett took Dale Carnegie course and that changed his life.
    I hope this helps
    Give it a try and please do let us know what helped u and how.

KeenEye likes this.
  15. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

I downloaded two of Dale Carnegie's books: 'How to win friends and influence people' and 'The art of public speaking'. Unfortunately, I'll only get to tell you the results after I do a public speaking or something similar.