1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to start running again?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by A.Z, Jun 7, 2020.

1. A.Z

A.Z Fapstronaut

I used to run a lot. three times a week. But with my addiction and all that shit I just stopped one day and didn't run for two years.
    Now with NoFap I've been trying to run again, but I am just exhausted every time after 250 hundred meters.
    Any advices? I want to run 10 km eventually.
    Thanks bros

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  2. decidedtobebetter

decidedtobebetter Fapstronaut

I love running as well and want to get back to it! I think I could have some advice.

- Two years without running is quite a lot. So go slow. Increase your mileage slowly but steady.
    - Pay attention to your pacing. You're probably going very fast if you are already tired after 250 meters.
    - Drink water and eat lightly but healthy some hours before your run.
    - Every marathon finisher started with the first step. Remember it. The most important thing is that you are getting out of home and doing something instead of being on the couch.
    - There are many templates on the internet on how much to run each week. Example: "Marathon in 1 year", "Half-marathon in 6 months", etc. You can use one of those if it helps you.
    - I already said it, but pay attention to your pacing. I also used to get tired very fast but it was because I was going very fast, and that is not the right way to run, that is a mistake a lot of beginners make.

I also plan on running tomorrow. Shoot me a message if you want, we can be friends and track our progress together! :)

A.Z likes this.
  3. DuckofDeath

DuckofDeath Fapstronaut

I highly recommend working in some cross training, i.e. other forms of cardio. If you have the money for it, a Schwinn airdyne bike could be a good option. I got one for $150 on Craiglist and it is one of my best purchases ever. If you have access to an elliptical machine, that's good too. They say that is one of the quickest ways to up your VO2 max.

A conventional exercise bike would be a good option. Start with doing 15 minutes on the days where you don't run. Rowing machines are good too, maybe you could do the bike and the rowing on the same day. Consider hiking on your rest day as a form of active recovery. If you have a background in swimming try that. All of those things will help improve your VO2 Max, while will help your stamina in running.

As you ramp up your fitness journey you might want to continue to evaluate your goals. In my experience, people who didn't grow up running on a soccer team or for cross country often struggle to make it a long term habit. Injuries to the plantar facia and patellar tendon are alarmingly common for runners while high weekly mileage. I don't say this discourage you but to warn you that lower extremity pain is something you will face if you stay in this long enough.

If your goal is to become fit overall, rather than specifically running a 10K, you might want to broaden your fitness horizons. Its easier to stick to a fitness habit if you love your exercise. I started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 5 years ago. Now that is my fitness passion, while lifting weights, running, biking, and yoga are all supplemental activities. It makes for a fitness routine that is fun and sustainable. You might want to consider getting into something you find addictive whether it is Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, boxing, Thai Boxing etc.

I know this post is long but I wanted to be thorough. Clearly you're a lot better at NoFap than me, but I definitely know a lot about fitness and staying fit while aging (I'm in my thirties, my age listing is wrong and I can't figure out how to change it). You are at an age where the habits you form today while DRAMATICALLY shape your happiness and well-being through your late twenties and early thirties. If you want anymore advice hit me up in this thread or message me privately.

A.Z likes this.
  4. Level1mountain

Level1mountain New Fapstronaut

Just google "go from coach to 5k", there are so many free programs that you can find, which describe in details the steps, mainy in the beginning its running 30-60 seconds and walking 3-5 minutes, and repeat, depends on the program and your abilities, in addition you have also free apps to support or guide you, the ones I know are Nike run club, and also adidas have one too, both free to use, good luck :)

A.Z likes this.
  5. A.Z

A.Z Fapstronaut

That is true.. I will run today and start my journey. Thank you man!

Oh, I'm really not sure that it is right. I am struggling like hell, our success is measured in efforts, not in results. Anyway, thank you bro! I will try to follow your advices..

6. MountainGoats93

MountainGoats93 Fapstronaut

I highly recommend the Nike run club app. They have some great training videos and challenges.

A.Z likes this.
  7. MountainGoats93

MountainGoats93 Fapstronaut

I'd love to get in on this if you'd have me. Currently training for my first marathon right now.

8. Same, I'd be down for a running group where we can encourage each other. I was even thinking of starting a nofap running group in our neighborhood.
    But that was before the pandemic, now everyone's isolated.

9. I’ve started off very slow, but honest I am big on measuring progress and so a Fitbit has been very helpful in motivating me to go the extra mile. Nike Run Club is awesome, too

10. A.Z

A.Z Fapstronaut

thank you bros,
    I started running after reading all your advices, it feels just great! I ran this week 3 km, anf I am getting better frome run to run.

love you guys!

JV76 and david22 like this.