1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

VPN recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Purple_Star, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Purple_Star

Purple_Star Fapstronaut

Which one you use, I mean in case of safety and not very high price? Or should I just choose one of the free ones?

2. SanSolo

SanSolo Fapstronaut

Sorry, but my bookmark for this is long gone. PC Magazine online had a very nice breakdown of several VPN's, price, features, everything. I'm a complete tech moron and still found it to be very helpful. Someone with more knowledge likely would get even more out of it than I did. It would be worth your time to search it out.

3. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I just subscribed to NordVPN today. The only other VPN I've tried was virtualshield.

4. Do internet providers watch you if you've got VPN?

5. I use a VPN called Windscribe and I've never had an issue with it, works fast and got a lifetime subscription a long time ago for cheap.

@Rio I don't know if you get put on some sort of watch list but I do know when you use a VPN and visit a site, they can see what site domain you're visiting but not what you're searching or doing in it.

6. I've tried to use VPN on my iPod Touch and a notice comes up saying something about being watched which freaked me out. One thing I don't get is people pay for VPN but there are browser like Yandex that offer it for free. Am I missing something here?

7. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I've never heard of yandex. I'm guessing it's more obscure

8. Free isn't always better, as they say nothing in life is 100% free. There's usually a motive behind something free especially if it seems like they're not getting anything in return, I don't know about Yandex (which I've never heard of before) but just like free proxies they usually come at a price.

Free proxies and even VPN's are notorious for logging your IP, the sites you visit, and really everything you do, which then they can sell your data to companies or even hackers. Some also have malicious intent behind it too like gaining access to ones PC and stealing data, or putting keyloggers and viruses because you're essentially vulnerable and you really truly don't know what's on the other side of that VPN.

Ones like Windscribe don't log anything and pay no attention to what you're doing, and when demanded by companies to give up said information for legal purposes or otherwise they don't because they have none to begin with. You have to choose one that works for you and research ones that are trusted, because it's not worth doing most things for free, that's just my opinion anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2018
    recon117 and Gotham Outlaw like this.
  9. It's a Russian company. You'll be able to find their apps on Google Play or App Store. I only used it for about a month and stopped because I was annoyed by an update on the app.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/russias-search-engineer

10. I use Private Internet Access. They are from the UK so European privacy laws apply. Not that they keep any data on you, they specifically say that they don't.

Whatever VPN you use I recommend using one headquartered outside the country you live in so that your government can't subpoena your data from the company.