1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar vs. Ukulele: Which instrument is better?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Happy Gnome, Jun 25, 2020.

Which is better: the guitar or the ukulele?

1. Guitar

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. Ukulele

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. My answer: ukes of course!!!

Ukes are easier to learn, more portable, cheaper to buy, have a greater association with happiness and relaxation, and they are just fun to play!

FellatiousD likes this.
  2. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I play guitar myself, but always wanted to try the ukulele.

Deleted Account and FellatiousD like this.
  3. In terms of fretted instruments, I generally prefer the sounds of the Sitar, the Banjo, and the Chinese Pipa over the guitar. But I consider the modern acoustic guitar one of the greatest instruments of all time due to its versatility. I kind of dislike the Ukelele, mostly for reasons of personal taste. But I respect and love all instruments, and if someone can make good sounds and good vibes from a uke, then who am I to judge?

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. 72jbjekapm

72jbjekapm Fapstronaut

I've played guitar for 25 years, always thought it would be fun to play a ukulele as well, I love my acoustics and my electrics.

Mistersofty likes this.
  5. PerseveranceToday

PerseveranceToday Fapstronaut

i hope this answers your question

6. How can you claim this? I mean... I don't think it's even claimable.

7. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I mean the real answer is bass obviously, but I get it, you wanted to have some competition so excluded the s-tier instrument. ;D

Seriously though guitar, because I never even liked ukulele that much.

8. Isn't a bass just a guitar but lower? And can't you play bass notes on a regular guitar? Or are we talking about the classical bass? Even so, that's still just a lower violin.

9. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I would suppose that the answer is something along the lines of "well yes, but actually no".

Sure, practically bass guitar is just a guitar without the two highest strings. I'm not so well informed on the matter that I could give you anything else than my speculation on why bass is even a thing. So here we go:

1. You could also say that guitar is just a 12 stringed guitar with less strings. Or that it's just a double guitar with regular guitar and 12 string guitar without the 12 stringed version. Like technically yeah I guess you could play anything you play on bass on 6 string guitar instead, but where does the line go, beyond which there's no point in adding just more and more strings?
    2. More isn't always better. It's easier to play the 4 strings I want to play when there aren't any extra strings taking up spaces and attention.
    3. Realistically people just play bass differently. Let's face it. No one ever plays guitar like one would play the bass. Of course it's technically possible, but no one just does that. Quite similarly one could build (aqoustic) guitar in a way that it sounds excatly like (aqoustic) bass, but by my experience if I play low E on guitar, it doesn't resonate as strong and full as on bass. Or maybe I've just played aqoustic bass guitar that's better quality than the regular guitars I've played.

I guess it just boils down to the fact that we are human. Sure if we were machines, we would just pick a perfect instrument with the largest amount of different sounds possible and play everything on it flawlessly, but since we are human, sometimes we just have to trick ourselves into making the best of those 4 lower strings by taking the higher ones out of the equation and pretending that we are playing an entirely new and different instrument that couldn't have been played had the 2 extra strings been there.

10. Woah, don't get too philosophical on me. What you've done is you've completely cancelled any point in having a discussion about musical taste by saying "well, someone can always find something better for XYZ situation." Essentially, your argument is just a fancy way of saying "that's just your subjective opinion bro." But that's the point of this thread - subjective opinion. You're bringing in logic where it doesn't belong. Also, bringing up the idea of a "perfect instrument" is kind of paradoxical, because music is subjective by nature. I mean, if we're going to agree to establish that there is no "better" instrument, you might as well tell OP that the initial question "which is better?" is pointless and we can shut down this thread.

why do i even check my alerts

11. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Lol :D

FellatiousD likes this.
  12. got u :p

13. Both can used expectably to create great music, I just have issues with people that play it, which I feel more of an annoyance with people like this (This being a parody of the type of people, which leans to more hipsters of both genders). Personal opinion & bias.

14. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I sent that video to my little sister and asked her when she started doing youtube videos.

BillyBobBoBoBo likes this.
  15. I can imagine she reacted well?

16. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Of course :D

17. What's wrong with people like that? You've seen my avatar and username, right? Should I be taking personal offense at this? :p

18. It's more the obnoxious, "look how quirky I am" vibe to try to be different, but being simular to everyone else for validation. I'll admit its biased as seeing a lot of people on youtube giving that vibe, so it is probably more from my experience.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  19. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Guitar, no contest.

FellatiousD likes this.