1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you most excited for?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Wolves of Wisdom, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Same for me it’s late where I am but if we’re talking Witcher I’ll always be present with immense pleasure. Thanks a lot for the convo, again amazing thread

FellatiousD likes this.
  2. RogerFM

RogerFM Fapstronaut

I need to actually finish the saga, I only read the first two short story books and the first two saga ones.

3. 4th book’s the best one, 5 kinda sucks and Lady of the Lake, 7, is very close to the 4 if not better. 1 and 2 suck compared to 7. Also season of orages is incredible feels like a dlc it’s a prequel

4. Yeah. I'm not sure which game started the "side activities" + open world type of genre, but I suspect it was Far Cry 3. Metal Gear is probably my favorite series, and it's purely linear (not including 5). Now marketing tends to favor paid additional content and e-sports. Purely linear games might become a relic, but I hope not.

I'm going to be honest though. I'm getting tired of the standard format of "kill as many people and creatures as possible." It just doesn't feel rewarding to me anymore. Yeah combat is fun and exciting, but I don't like the assumption that we're supposed to derive pleasure from cutting peoples' heads off or shooting people over and over. Call me a bleeding heart.

5. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2. I loved THPS1 and I am convinced that these remakes will be awesome. :D

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I would definitely try reinstalling everything again, including the game itself (make sure to make sure your saves actually are backed up, I made this mistake with games in the past thinking I had the saves and it turned out I didnt have the most recent ones, very annoying). Definitely looks like its a problem with the card though, like you say, honestly I am a bit shocked that your card is good enough to run the game, I had trouble running it at a decent frame rate with a GTX 970 and its two years newer.

Speedo424 and FellatiousD like this.
  7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I feel like it started before that, with the extreme popularity of GTA San Andreas. That game came out, took over the world, and then in the generation following it devs scrambled to emulate it without understanding why San Andreas was actually good. Ubisoft "perfected" so to speak this formula, and now pretty much every open world game uses the exact same boring as shit systems. Basically makes you feel like you are playing the same game a dozen times with a different theme. Its kinda the same thing as how for a time every shooter copied CoD without understanding why people actually liked it, to such an extent even the CoD devs started ruining their own series.

I feel like you would really hate TLOU2, that game seems to be all about gratuitous violence.

Speedo424 and FellatiousD like this.
  8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I never played any of the games but the remakes sure do look like a lot of effort has been put into them, unlike some remakes.

drac16 and Speedo424 like this.
  9. I watched streams of TLOU2. It makes no sense, none of the killing feels justified. Everyone is just trying to survive, but for some reason YOU are the good guy and everyone else deserves to die horribly at your hand. Hated the first game too.

Thanks. I think that worked last time, but I can't remember.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    WesternWolf likes this.
  10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I honestly love extremely bleak and disturbing material and would have normally appreciated what TLOU2 was trying to do but it comes across as being edgy for the sake of being edgy a lot of the time, with a lot of plot points that dont make any sense and only exist to push this forced narrative along. "Did you know revenge is bad" is such a hackneyed plot setup that it borders on comical, and the game seems to completely lack any self awareness of how silly a lot of it feels. I've read books that are a million times more fucked up than anything that happens in TLOU1 or 2 (the book version of American Psycho is absolutely vile but I do love it all the same) but in the context of a game a lot of what the story tries to do doesnt seem to work. It boggles my mind that people can criticise Kojima for being on the nose with naming a character in Death Stranding "Die Hardman" but those same people dont care when TLOU2 shows a flashback of a happy dog at play moments after you beat it to death. Its so OTT it doubles back to being funny.

Speedo424 and WesternWolf like this.
  11. Yeah edginess for the sake of edginess really turns me off. I'm not a prude - graphic violence can be entertaining if there is a reason or a context for it. But saying "hey, look at how gruesome we can make these kill animations" is just weird. If you're familiar with Manhunt, a very old Rockstar game, then they did the same kind of thing. Now take a game like Dead by Daylight, for example. The whole point of the game is to play as either a vicious killer, or a survivor. Violence and death are an integral part of the game, and I love it. It works in that context.

Other reason I don't like TLOU2 is there is a very clear agenda of "women are basically just men with boobs, now shut up and enjoy it or you're an incel" - a relic from the SJW days I thought we had seen the last of (no pun intended).

12. Abzu

Abzu Fapstronaut

literally both the games you mentioned, can't really think of anything else

13. Ironically 343i does care too much about the lore, on top of them being awful writers themselves. They constantly reference external novels and comics and such, bringing in "fan favorite" characters that had significant development in those sources that nobody else will understand. It's makes no sensei.

14. One Eyed Owl

One Eyed Owl Distinguished Fapstronaut

Amnesia Rebirth
    Metroid Prime 4
    Psychonauts 2
    Bendy and the Dark Revival

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The blatant agenda pushing is what annoys me as well. I'm not talking about the lesbian relationship, this was set up in the last game and it annoys me that people clapped like trained seals when they saw Ellie kissing her GF at E3 a few years back, like it was new information. I'm talking about shit that actively undermines the worldbuilding, stuff like Ellie refusing food given as an apology after some guy was homophobic to her, pregnant women fighting on the front lines of a militant survivor faction, a playable character who is a woman who is unrealistically jacked to such an extent she just looks like a man, in a post apocalypse where resources are at a premium. All this stuff serves to make the world feel less like its real, and more like a setting with no real thought put into it.

16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I feel like Infinite is make or break for them at this point, although I have no faith anyway so I dont know why I even care lol.

AngelofDarkness and Speedo424 like this.

17. Man, I remember playing through Grim Fandango for the first time. The puzzles in that game were incredible, also incredibly hard to figure out.
    I loved every single moment of that, and I feel like people will not experience that with these coming generations of gaming.

18. And if that wasn't enough, the studio also tries to undermine us and anyone who thinks negatively of the game. Not to mention the DMCA stuff that they've done on different platforms.
    Kojima said it well: The game is low quality, and so are the people who think it's anything but a mediocre game.

WesternWolf likes this.
  19. Sandscape97

Sandscape97 Fapstronaut

Didn't even know frictional was working on new sequel. The first game is absolute classic. Can't wait

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The debate about whether or not the ridiculously hyperbolic reviews were bought or not I think misses the point as well, because even if they weren't, the reality is a lot of critics are shills who will give a Sony exclusive a stupidly high score no matter how good the actual game is. There is barely any diversity of thought in games journalism, almost all of them are hipster fat sniffers who would prefer a game shit all over what fans liked about the first one, and insult anyone who doesnt like it, as opposed to a straightforward sequel that gives people what they actually wanted after waiting seven godamn years for the game. If I hear the term "it subverted my expectations" one more time I am going to scream.

[​IMG]

Speedo424 and WesternWolf like this.